SAU Community

Bov Cause Theback Fire?

ryan_perth

hi guys, i installed a 2nd hand hks ssqv in my r34 gtt 2 days agos.

now, it sounds like a backfire coming out from the exhause.

my friend told me that would be the blow off got old, and the spring or something in the bolw off is weak, so cause the back fire.

is that ture?

if it is, how does the bov cause the back fire?

and will this hurt the turbo or some other parts in my car? or i can just ignore it?

thanks.

If the Spring in the BoV is weak just means it opens easier and sounds different?

Either way there is much debate whether a BoV or no BoV can damage the turbo... but really nothing to worry about

Dont see how Back Pressure from throttle body can cause a backfire tho? just give you turbo flutter...shouldnt be any backfires. besides they are cool :down:

here goes a debate but when my was stock i got told it had to be tuned if i was to install aftermarket BOV, i was like yer watever and installed aftermarket BOV and yes it did pop and backfire and didnt bother tuning it, sounds cooler though!

here goes a debate but when my was stock i got told it had to be tuned if i was to install aftermarket BOV, i was like yer watever and installed aftermarket BOV and yes it did pop and backfire and didnt bother tuning it, sounds cooler though!

Not why it needs tuning though

i found that it depends on your car, ive had my ssqv on my car and it barely pops and when it does its very quiet. my friend borrowed it when his bov screwed up and on his car it popped alot and it popped really loud. both cars 2000 model r34 gtt's

hks ssqv's are held closed by boost pressure eliminating boost leak so that rules out your mates weak spring theory. the backfiring is caused when the bov releases the boost pressure the stock ecu cant compensate for the loss of air and therefore adds the right amount of fuel for the amount of air that passed through the afm (which alot has been released out of the bov to atmosphere) so the end result is a very rich charge entering the cylinder (more fuel than air) and the engine not being able to burn off all the particles of fuel efficiently as there is no enough air to do so...so i believe the noise your hearing is the left over fuel igniting somewhere in the exhaust..nothing really to worry about..if your that worried buy a safc neo and get it tuned to compensate for the loss of air. i think its like $300 fit+tune

hks ssqv's are held closed by boost pressure eliminating boost leak so that rules out your mates weak spring theory. the backfiring is caused when the bov releases the boost pressure the stock ecu cant compensate for the loss of air and therefore adds the right amount of fuel for the amount of air that passed through the afm (which alot has been released out of the bov to atmosphere) so the end result is a very rich charge entering the cylinder (more fuel than air) and the engine not being able to burn off all the particles of fuel efficiently as there is no enough air to do so...so i believe the noise your hearing is the left over fuel igniting somewhere in the exhaust..nothing really to worry about..if your that worried buy a safc neo and get it tuned to compensate for the loss of air. i think its like $300 fit+tune

so will it loss a little bit of power as less air get into the cylinders and fuel not been burn completely?

and also increase fuel consumption as well?

i was thinking to get a NEO before, but i heard that i should at least get a boost controller and turbo back exhause in order to install a NEO as mine is all standard with a pathetic end-piece exhause, and also some high performance sparking plugs might needed associating with the NEO.

that would definitely cost me over $2000, not be able to get that money recently..

i really wanna get a turbo back exhause first, any ideas where can i get one for my 34? better be a 2nd hand one, im a poor guy...

i did the same to mine before too and it didnt backfire then i the stock one back on then a few months later blocked it off again and it backfired lol my cars weird =\

also i like your dp syfon :down:

hi guys, i installed a 2nd hand hks ssqv in my r34 gtt 2 days agos.

now, it sounds like a backfire coming out from the exhause.

my friend told me that would be the blow off got old, and the spring or something in the bolw off is weak, so cause the back fire.

is that ture?

if it is, how does the bov cause the back fire?

and will this hurt the turbo or some other parts in my car? or i can just ignore it?

thanks.

Plumb it back in and problem solved :/

yeah i installed a bov a while ago when i had a 34gtt

popped like a mofo cause the ecu couldnt compensate

it'll attract cops to if your not careful :/

took it off and put on the plumback again

so will it loss a little bit of power as less air get into the cylinders and fuel not been burn completely?

and also increase fuel consumption as well?

i was thinking to get a NEO before, but i heard that i should at least get a boost controller and turbo back exhause in order to install a NEO as mine is all standard with a pathetic end-piece exhause, and also some high performance sparking plugs might needed associating with the NEO.

that would definitely cost me over $2000, not be able to get that money recently..

i really wanna get a turbo back exhause first, any ideas where can i get one for my 34? better be a 2nd hand one, im a poor guy...

sorry about the late reply. my net decided it wanted to stop working... if you want to raise the boost you'l need a neo or a power fc to be able to compensate, same goes with running a atmospheric bov. yes the rich mixture will eventually cause poor fuel economy as it will foul the plugs and as for power loss, i dont think it will make a huge diffrence but im sure the extra fuel wont help in the long run