SAU Community

Family Fun Day At Winton Raceway

JEPPE

maybe more clarification, maybe a fun day for less and a fun day for more experienced drivers, or have them out on the track a different times

having everyone out on the track with mixed skills isnt the bes tof ideas imo

I know what you mean, obviously mixing fast with slow is a recipe for disaster and it pressures new drivers to go beyond their limit... BUT, if they did split the groups it would be a whole lot more work and admin (most likely needing to book before hand so they can sort numbers, or sort them on the day which would take a while and need extra staff) which would put the price up of the day which is part of why it's so great.

There aren't really any major accidents and probably no more than any other track day. When you're at a bike track day at philip island they state that stats mean that one in 10 people will crash on the day. It's been true so far that I've been attending with all safer methods included and the $250 price tag.

If people could follow the rules then it would be all good really... but they don't. Oh well!

On another note, I'm currently watching Speedweek at Winton, they're going super fast!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean, obviously mixing fast with slow is a recipe for disaster and it pressures new drivers to go beyond their limit... BUT, if they did split the groups it would be a whole lot more work and admin (most likely needing to book before hand so they can sort numbers, or sort them on the day which would take a while and need extra staff) which would put the price up of the day which is part of why it's so great.

Maybe instead of doing the solo, passenger split, they should just do an experienced, inexperienced split. I don't see why solo drivers can't go out on the track with those with passengers. Probably better for the viewing families too. They can have a bit of fun with the inexperienced people out on the track, then come in and watch 20 minutes of the experienced drivers putting on a better show for them.

I thought they did split them up, wouldn't be too hard to do, as long as people are honest when they sign up they get a different sticker for there category and then rotate categorys, would be less track time per person but the time spent on the track would be better

I thought they did split them up, wouldn't be too hard to do, as long as people are honest when they sign up they get a different sticker for there category and then rotate categorys, would be less track time per person but the time spent on the track would be better

Yeah it is split up. They send out people with no passengers for 25 minutes, then send out people that do have passengers for 25 minutes, and keep it in that cycle.

Wow I didnt realise so many SAUers were up there! Matt I cant believe that was you in the 2000 that had the issue with the wheel!

If you saw the white 180, white 33, purple 32R, grey 32, gold 33 that was all of us undercover up top.

Was freaking busy as. Never usually that busy at Fundays. Alot of f**kheads out there too.

We stayed and did the sprint day too. Was nice and quiet for quite a few clean runs.

Wow I didnt realise so many SAUers were up there! Matt I cant believe that was you in the 2000 that had the issue with the wheel!

If you saw the white 180, white 33, purple 32R, grey 32, gold 33 that was all of us undercover up top.

Was freaking busy as. Never usually that busy at Fundays. Alot of f**kheads out there too.

We stayed and did the sprint day too. Was nice and quiet for quite a few clean runs.

Yeah, I talked to a few of you guys. I was the one that got the gold 33 sideways with my iphone. Will post pics when I figure out how to get them off my phone and onto my computer.

My personal feeling is that I would have loved to have run. I think days like this should be reserved for the amateur/novice drivers, since I think it would have been a good day to learn. So long as people don't push too hard or take it too seriously there's nothing wrong with a day like that.

I do think they should have been a bit more organised, I appreciate the casual nature of just letting everyone go but I think some separation of performance levels would have been helpful. When you've got cars that can corner twice as fast as other cars, or accelerate twice as fast, it causes problems.

Here's a link to an album with some of my (850!) photos. Apologies for the crappy resolution, next time I'm bringing a real camera instead of my iPhone.

Here's a couple of samples:

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

Will post my snazzy iPhone pics soon, including the gold R33 VERY sideways.

Great day guys, wished I could have run but oh well, next time.

Gotta go the GTR Charli, you won't regret it!

Ha ha that was me... 3rd gear power slide in front of the officials ftw.

Ha ha that was me... 3rd gear power slide in front of the officials ftw.

I think I seen your car around my area on burwood hwy a few times sounded tuf at winton how much power it pulling.?

well i reckon for $30 you cant go wrong.

however, its gonna work out to be a little more expensive for me.

im sure most of you wouldve seen the silver S2000 with the L/H/R wheel looking a bit wrong... well that was me. The result of the rear suspension collapsing on the exit of the long sweeper. ooooh yesterday was a loooooong day... but fun, these things happen...

now i have two broken cars :)

That's crazy mate! With what tyres? Seems a little strange for stock suspension...?

• 2 weeks later...

What a brilliant day!

I was ABOUT to complain about a distinct lack of 'beautiful-blue-XR8' photography, but thankfully, Scarface came through with the goods (image 9 of 65), thanks mate :nyaanyaa: Although next time I reckon we 'volunteer' someone's missus (or mister) that's not keen on driving and is a keen photographer to get some shots with a good camera.

Saw that S2K coming off the track on the tilt-tray, what a bugger mate, hope it wasn't too expensive an outing for you?

I realised about halfway through the day that I didn't actually pay... Went up, signed my form, got my wristband, walked away, saw everyone else leaving with a green slip of paper, went back, got that slip, left again, and didn't fork over the cash. Would have paid double for the fun I had.

Agree a bit of segragation would have been nice... The really slow cars on the track meant that either you HAD to bend the rules (sorry Charlie), or be lapping with the VH wagons and other riff-raff, ring-road-in-the-rain-style. Besides, I don't think anyone really minded me driving around the outside of them (love those tires!)

Anyone have any highlight (hero?) moments? Best part of the day for me was catching, passing, and putting half a lap on the 317kW HSV GTS :) That and almost keeping up with Cowboy ;)

Only problem with this day is that it's left me with a terrible thirst for more...

Next on the radar is an HSV / FPV club meet that is open to 'All CAMS Affiliated Clubs' at Sandown on 1st August. If anyone wants details, let me know and I will post them.

Good to meet you guys on the day, and hope to see you on the track again soon.

What a brilliant day!

I was ABOUT to complain about a distinct lack of 'beautiful-blue-XR8' photography, but thankfully, Scarface came through with the goods (image 9 of 65), thanks mate :) Although next time I reckon we 'volunteer' someone's missus (or mister) that's not keen on driving and is a keen photographer to get some shots with a good camera.

Anyone have any highlight (hero?) moments? Best part of the day for me was catching, passing, and putting half a lap on the 317kW HSV GTS :) That and almost keeping up with Cowboy ;)

Next time I'll bring a real camera. I've got more if you're interested, I got about 50 photos of everyone.

Best moment as a spectator was watching the gold R33 powersliding onto the straight past pit exit, 45 degree angle, and snapping a photo as he fishtailed past. He says he was in third gear.

What a brilliant day!

I was ABOUT to complain about a distinct lack of 'beautiful-blue-XR8' photography, but thankfully, Scarface came through with the goods (image 9 of 65), thanks mate :) Although next time I reckon we 'volunteer' someone's missus (or mister) that's not keen on driving and is a keen photographer to get some shots with a good camera.

Saw that S2K coming off the track on the tilt-tray, what a bugger mate, hope it wasn't too expensive an outing for you?

I realised about halfway through the day that I didn't actually pay... Went up, signed my form, got my wristband, walked away, saw everyone else leaving with a green slip of paper, went back, got that slip, left again, and didn't fork over the cash. Would have paid double for the fun I had.

Agree a bit of segragation would have been nice... The really slow cars on the track meant that either you HAD to bend the rules (sorry Charlie), or be lapping with the VH wagons and other riff-raff, ring-road-in-the-rain-style. Besides, I don't think anyone really minded me driving around the outside of them (love those tires!)

Anyone have any highlight (hero?) moments? Best part of the day for me was catching, passing, and putting half a lap on the 317kW HSV GTS ;) That and almost keeping up with Cowboy ;)

Only problem with this day is that it's left me with a terrible thirst for more...

Next on the radar is an HSV / FPV club meet that is open to 'All CAMS Affiliated Clubs' at Sandown on 1st August. If anyone wants details, let me know and I will post them.

Good to meet you guys on the day, and hope to see you on the track again soon.

I think you'll only catch me once your planned upgrade happens.....then I don't stand a snow balls chance in hell of keeping up.

/sadfayse :)

I think you'll only catch me once your planned upgrade happens.....then I don't stand a snow balls chance in hell of keeping up.

/sadfayse :down:

Yeah, as discussed last night, my forced induction gizmo on the 8-banger isn't working.

If I dropped a couple of cylinders and picked up a blow-dryer, wouldn't that put us on a level pegging?! :)