SAU Community

Mixed Feedback On Legal Issue For Rims

Right so I have picked up a set of Volks for my R32 GTST, 17 X 8 up the front and 17 X 9 on the rear, both @ +45 offset.

I have dummy fitted the fronts and they JUST sit within the guards...quite nicely I might add, and all signs point the the rears sitting inside too. Problem is they currently dont have rubber so I couldnt really tell.

This isnt my problem though, Im searching for some rubber for the rears and have come across some mixed answers from tyre shops, some will fit the rubber (245 I think) and have no problem at all fitting and adjusting everything, while other places wont due to the size and offset of the rims being illegal aparently.

So I though I would come to some experts and get some more info on the matter.

Also these arnt just small shops with different views on the matter, they are well known. Bob Jane, Tyre Power...etc

Edited by Lucy The Skyline

Going from 16's to 17's shouldnt make a huge difference, and my speedo is enthusistatic anyway so getting used to the new reading wont be hard. I will find the max numbers on the plate in the morning.

And joey I agree more than you could believe...

the actual wheel diameter can change up to 18/19 etc, we are talking about the wheel and tyre combined. the TOTAL diameter of tyre monuted on wheel has to be the same for your speedo to be right

On the Vicroads website (probably the same in other states):

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyre...8340/0/VSI8.pdf

- Replacement wheels cannot be more than 25mm (1") wider than the widest wheels specified by the manufacturer for that vehicle series

- Wheel / tyre combo not more than 15mm larger diameter than the largest tyre specified by the manufacturer for that vehicle series

So depending on the standard rim for a GT-R, which I think is only 7", 9" is outside the Vicroads guidelines for replacement wheels.

So depending on the standard rim for a GT-R, which I think is only 7", 9" is outside the Vicroads guidelines for replacement wheels.

standard rim for r32 gtr is 8" wide, so 9" would be legal.. just. but then the gtr has wider guards so its debate-able whether the gts-t would be judged based on gtr standards.

use this tool to work out your correct tyre sizes. the industry standard generally aims to keep the rolling diameter of the tyre within 2.5% (but the closer the better) of the oem tyre so as not to disrupt the speedo reading to far, however this is only relevant for the drive wheels. r32 gts-t oem tyre is 205/55/16 so in your case 245/40/17 is the best fit. as for the fronts, probably 225s or 235s would be good