SAU Community

Thermo Fan On Smic Discussion

Hi all,

Thought this might be an interesting thread. In my case I have an R33 with a turbo abck exhaust, std airbox with BMC panel filter and an R34 SMIC.

I found this to be a good mod with my basic level of modifications adn allowed the car to rev more freely through the rev range and appeared to have a little more sting although not much.

Now with my level of modification and standard boost which is where the car will stay for the short term I am not keen to put a FMIC in just yet. At some stage I will upgrade the turbo with all the supporting mods but that can happen as a package. This is really about a easy DIY mod at low cost.

Now I used the r34 front duct on my S2 33 bumper with only minor triming required. I also cut every second 'slat' out of the exit in the wheel arch to stop hot air from banking up behind the core.

I was wondering about the thermo fan option. Ie wiring an 8ish inch thermo fan on the the back of the coor or the inner gaurd area to force hot air out and increase flow through the core in traffic (thinking ahead for summer here)

Would this make a significant difference? I imagine it would stop the traffic light heat soak, or at elast help. At high speeds would the fan rotation cause a backpressure in the core? making it harder for air to flow through?

thoughts?

id say probably wouldnt make any sort of worthwhile difference. i think your kind of splitting hairs to be honest. yes it could possibly help cool down the cooler when sitting in traffic but thats when having colder intake temps by 1 or 2 degrees is really not necessary as theres a very negligible amount of air flowing through it in those circumstances. once the car gets moving at all then the smic will be naturally cooled by the air and a fan wouldnt be making any significant difference

listen its a "ok idea" but ur not really going 4X4 driving are u to need that slow moving cooling.... the car is engineered to go fast hence it dosent have a water cooled intercooler.... if u can somehow attach a viscous fan to it lol then go for it :bunny:

I wouldn't bother. I was making 220awkw with a smic including track days. Granted it was a Nismo one, slightly more efficient than the R34 stocker but at your output you should be fine. Wait til you get the monster turbo and then go straight for a quality front mount.

for the op if I think what your up to doing id take a look into the Cima VQ30DET side mount intercooler and add a fan + a water sprayer but the prob is you can just go for a fmic kit but if you dont want to go for the mod look then i'd say your on to something good but need to look at all of the options.

I did hide the inter cooler and doesn't attract much attention and the funny things here people walk up to me asking to sell me an SR20DET swap for my car and i just let them yap on I just smile nod and go about my business,

you may find the fan reduces the efficiency at speed as its a blockage right behind the cooler and the fan is flowing less than the cooler by it self at 80km+ speeds

yeah this was something i had considered. The core seems to work well, even after a long drive the cool side is still ambient or cooler and the hot side is barely any warmer. So for my application, daily driver with the odd squirt in traffic it seems to work well. was just worried about summer thats all

put a water sprayer on it . wouldnt bother with a fan . its not going to heat soak in traffic , are you on boost (compressing and heating air) as your sitting at the lights or diddling around town at 50kph ?

no .

It will lower your intake temps by 1 maybe 2 degrees if your lucky. However it's easy enough to hook up diy spray kit to the water bottle and a micro switch so it only comes on at WOT.

You could always look at meth?? Although not excactly cheap!!

Edited by jjskyline79

It will lower your intake temps by 1 maybe 2 degrees if your lucky. However it's easy enough to hook up diy spray kit to the water bottle and a micro switch so it only comes on at WOT.

You could always look at meth?? Although not excactly cheap!!

You dont want it spraying at WOT. The core needs to be wet/cool before you come onto boost.

Thats why the Evo/WRX sprayers on "Auto" mode spray when you brake.

it will be more than a few degree's difference if done correctly

as adriano said subaru and mitsu didnt do it for fun and certainly not for two deg temp drop on the intake

i reckon ballpark it would be a drop of 15-20deg would be more reasonable when done correctly

ie compressor outlet 75deg after water soaked intercoller core sub 40deg air temp

taking into account the intercooler itself will drop the temp too

to prove how useful it may be

blow hot air onto your wrist (where you slash if you are trying to kill yourself / EMO)

now wet that area with water or just lick it

blow how air again onto the same area

Fan force SMIC

http://autospeed.com/A_110214/cms/article.html

http://autospeed.com/A_110215/cms/article.html

Intercooler water spray with results;

http://www.mearcat.com.au/kits.html

http://www.mearcat.com.au/coolerresults.html

Intercooler water sprays work by having atomized water droplets evaporating on the core. The evaporation process absorbs heat. (Exactly how sweat cools your body down, God didnt install that on us if it was only a couple degrees difference :banana:)