SAU Community

Driving On Suspended Rego?

drive_guy

Hey

what happens if i am caught driving with a suspended rego?

The reason is it suspended is because the car needed to be road worthied by friday or the rego will get suspended, which it did. Im buying the car today and i need to drive it home because it is very far away from me. Clearly i cant get it road worthied today because it is sunday and im pretty sure most mechanics arent open.

Would i cop a fine or would my vehicle get towed? Or anything?

Thanks

You just a get a one day permit from vic roads ring them up before and organise it for the day you need the permit for.

today is sunday man. i need to get the car in like 2 hours. vic roads are closed

today is sunday man. i need to get the car in like 2 hours. vic roads are closed

500+fine for driving unregistered car. If you get caught, you will cop it, that excuse is not valid.

500+fine for driving unregistered car. If you get caught, you will cop it, that excuse is not valid.

you missunderstand. The car IS registered till next year its only suspended because it didnt fix a canary by the due date which was friday.

Hey

what happens if i am caught driving with a suspended rego?

The reason is it suspended is because the car needed to be road worthied by friday or the rego will get suspended, which it did. Im buying the car today and i need to drive it home because it is very far away from me. Clearly i cant get it road worthied today because it is sunday and im pretty sure most mechanics arent open.

Would i cop a fine or would my vehicle get towed? Or anything?

Thanks

You'd be labelled as a hoon, and get your car towed away plus a big fine (really).

You can get a temp permit to drive an UNREG car when you have just bought it. I believe you can also drive it to and from the most practical place to get it rw'ed, without it being registered.

EDIT:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Regist...hiclePermit.htm

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Regist...eredVehicle.htm

Looks like you cannot even drive it to the place of RWC without an unregistered permit. Since the license is suspended it cannot be driven AT ALL, nor can you get an unregistered permit.

You'd be labelled as a hoon, and get your car towed away plus a big fine (really).

You can get a temp permit to drive an UNREG car when you have just bought it. I believe you can also drive it to and from the most practical place to get it rw'ed, without it being registered.

EDIT:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Regist...hiclePermit.htm

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Regist...eredVehicle.htm

Looks like you cannot even drive it to the place of RWC without an unregistered permit. Since the license is suspended it cannot be driven AT ALL, nor can you get an unregistered permit.

well thats just f**king great. the person im buying it off said he didnt get a letter saying it was suspended but thing is the canary needed to be sorted by last friday, so now i dont know what to do.

Sorry to hear mate, I think the best solution is to book a towtruck... Split the cost with the seller.

At least you're being responsible and checking all this out first.

well thats just f**king great. the person im buying it off said he didnt get a letter saying it was suspended but thing is the canary needed to be sorted by last friday, so now i dont know what to do.

Either way you can drive it. You can take a risk and drive it (stupid), but if you get busted, =FINE,

you missunderstand. The car IS registered till next year its only suspended because it didnt fix a canary by the due date which was friday.

Suspended = $550 fine or there abouts.

Having paid the rego means nothing when it's suspended.

You do not accure any demeirt points though.

You cannot get a permit either, as the rego has been suspended.

Sorry to hear mate, I think the best solution is to book a towtruck... Split the cost with the seller.

At least you're being responsible and checking all this out first.

Hi,

The other possibility is to get someone to tow you home (using a tow rope). See http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Regist...eredVehicle.htm

You're allowed to tow behind a registered vehicle. There are other conditions listed on the web page:

Full licence and P2 probationary licence holders can tow an unregistered vehicle behind a registered vehicle. When doing this you must:

have a full licence or P2 probationary licence holder in control of the towed vehicle

attach a flag (minimum 30cm square) to the rope, chain or wire

maintain a maximum space of 4 metres between the vehicles, or 2.5 metres if one is a motorcycle

if using a rope, chain or wire, ensure the towed vehicle's brakes are working.

Run the engine on the towed car so the steering and brakes work effectively. Not sure if you're allowed to use a strap for towing, it would be much easier than rope or chain though. 

JH

...The other possibility is to get someone to tow you home (using a tow rope)...

Just to add to this... check the owners manual before having an automatic car towed. There could be speed, distance or other restrictions so the transmission doesn't get damaged. 

So... how did you get the car home?

JH

well it turns out the rego wasnt suspended, i have 28 days to get it road worthy, its only the windscreen though :banana:. had to call the local police station to find out.

I now have myself a new sexy vl!

thanks for all your input none the less guys

Hey guys got done 2 nights ago unregistered, as I live on the border of Vic/NSW I was in Albury when I got done there fine came today $517 they told me to drive it home (I thought they'd get me to tow it but not the case) I drive into Wodonga heading home and get pulled over there! the fine for Unregistered here is 3 points (I think) and $630 or something, the copper was in a shitty mood coz he tallied up around $3500 and 17 points then after about 20 minutes of grilling told me he was heading the opposite way into town for 15 minutes it was my own choice if I drove the car home but he didn't recommend it.... I drove the car home haven't driven it since and trust me, $517 wasn't worth it just put it on a tow truck to get it there or something

from what i gathered he was driving an un-regoed car and got caught in NSW (albury and copped a $517 fine) he then drove it knowing that it was still un-regoed and then copped a 3points and $630 fine in Wodonga

Even if the cop in a shitty mood its your fault to continue to drive it, especally after you already had the first fine....... driving it still doesnt mean you wont cop more fines, liek you did