SAU Community

Driving On Suspended Rego?

drive_guy

NO demerit points and $597 is the fine for Unregistered. No need to state the obvious why there is NO leeway for people driving unregistered cars. Lately I have been catching lots of people driving unregistered cars with permit clearly outside the conditions. I think a lot of car yards/sellers don't explain that permits strictly to get car to and from place of repair for RWC and registration.

The funniest I have had is someone delivering pizzas in this situation as car yard told him OK to drive. They (car yard) also put down wrong engine and Vin number on permit too. There are some dodgy people out there for sure!

The funniest I have had is someone delivering pizzas in this situation as car yard told him OK to drive. They (car yard) also put down wrong engine and Vin number on permit too. There are some dodgy people out there for sure!

did you still give him a fine?

Edited by DAS KAMU

Yes I fined him and didn't let him drive further. Every check we do is recorded and If it shows I checked an unregistered car and didn't fine driver I could end up in LOTS of trouble and become civilly liable if I let them drive and end up in collision.

End of the day it's driver's responsibility to know road rules and drive registered vehicle. It's CLEARLY written on the permits what the conditions are. As it's been discussed number of times that unregistered car is NOT covered for TAC insurance etc. I chased up with Vic Roads about the car yard to investigate them further too.

Yes I fined him and didn't let him drive further. Every check we do is recorded and If it shows I checked an unregistered car and didn't fine driver I could end up in LOTS of trouble and become civilly liable if I let them drive and end up in collision.

End of the day it's driver's responsibility to know road rules and drive registered vehicle. It's CLEARLY written on the permits what the conditions are. As it's been discussed number of times that unregistered car is NOT covered for TAC insurance etc. I chased up with Vic Roads about the car yard to investigate them further too.

understood