SAU Community

Eletrical Fault With Auto Gearbox

Hey guys,

Beforehand let me say I'll be doing manual swap on the daily Ceffy as soon as I've got all parts ready to go, but until then my auto box is getting a little bit confused.

9/10 it will start up, flash only the HOLD light, as it drives it will take off from second, and only use second and third gears, switching to HOLD will light it up on the dash, switching to POWER doesnt light up on the dash and driving stays the same.

Even in this mode of driving, selecting 1 with the selector, it uses second gear only, 2/D/D w/ OD off, uses third, even at 120kmp/h +

Sometimes however, it will start up, flash both lights, and use all gears, obviously HOLD works as per normal, and POWER does work.

Power/all gears working doesnt sem to be temperature related, works hot and cold if it wants to. Once it starts with power, it stays that way, it doesnt lose the gears.

Have replaced the hold/power switch, and checked the computer, nothing.

I'm assuming this is an eletrical issue, somewhere between the switch and the computer, or post computer, telling it to STAY in second and third only, for some reason, believing it is being told by the switch that it needs to.

Suggestions on where I can look to quick fix this ?

Could be resorting to this car as daily driver, so having all gear ratio's will be incredibly handy for fuel economy (4th gear at 100 is 2300rpm :bunny: )

Make yours manual and cut a sunroof into it, and I'll consider.

f**k taking it to a workshop, especially a jap work shop, even if they sponsor hot young females like Carla.....flamin mongrels will be all like "aww but the ceffy is pretty rare, this'll be a hard one to fix, 9 hours labor, and you'll need new spark plugs too, thats $200 because we have to order them from Japan"...you know its true Rowan!

No.

More suggestions please :bunny:

Gearbox seized up this arvo.

Manual gearbox in the Ceffy in the shed dropped half its oil supply out of the output shaft on attemped removal.

Floor jack slipped, denting in oil sump on 20DET, and droping entire engine+gearbox weight into steering rack and lines.

Ready to throw in the towel again.

:whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

OK gearbox problems were independant, as for gear selection (or lack of) is ANOTHER problem.

Narrowed engine problem down to crank angle sensor.

Couldnt find an RB20E CAS so I got a RB30E CAS but doesnt fit RB20E dizzy, SO I'm on the hunt for an RB30E dizzy (you think theyd be easy considering the number of busted VLs and RB30DET builds getting around)...if the problem isnt fixed by next weekend, it'll be getting a new motor and manual conversion, thanks for a dangerously cheap factory turbo manual C33 Laurel halfcut that is for sale locally (if I cant find the little problem, i'll flush the f**ker out with a whole new running gear!!)

But on a good note, the ceffy has a black interior the whole way through and I fitted a manual handbrake (with centre console and matching trim)....feels awesome sitting inside now, if only I could actually drive it.