SAU Community

i purchased some tyres about 6 months ago, and have done no more than 3000 ks on them. on my way to New Plymouth, going 100kph and on a corner, my right front tyre decided to do this:

post-73140-1278409280_thumb.jpg

gave me and the girlfriend a bit of a fright, we were lucky no one was coming the opposite direction or we would have been toast. so when your buying tyres stick with ones that youve heard of!

Was the tyre the correct weight & speed rating for your car? Surprised you don't mention the brand, too.

i believe so, these are the tyres they put on the car when i bought my rims. the brand is gislaved, they are a sweedish tyre, and are apparently good lol. the place i bought them off are replacing all 4 tyres (with a different brand :banana:).

They look like they have been run flat or with too low pressure previously.. i struggle to believe that would happen to any tyre driving along normally at the right pressure.

tyres are either old (rubber has dried out) or underinflated meaning excessive sidewall flex has fatigued it.

never heard of that brand before and that's reason enough to avoid them. apparently good what - to the guy who sold them to you? of course he says they're good he just got money for jam. never mind he almost killed you. i'd be pissed.

never heard of that brand before and that's reason enough to avoid them. apparently good what - to the guy who sold them to you? of course he says they're good he just got money for jam. never mind he almost killed you. i'd be pissed.

they are owned by continental, doesnt get that much bigger when it comes to tyre brand names, and sweden arent exactly know for low quality, which makes me think there's more to it.

Was the first thing that came to mind too...

no, it has never been run underinflated, i constantly get the pressures checked from the place i baught them from and i only run nitrogen in them (for constant temps). was just at the shop this morning, and they are replacing all 4 tyres now free of charge, so if they were run underinflated i assume they wouldnt be replacing them? and when i baught them he did tell me that they were owned by continental tyres, so made me think they were worth a go.

Glad to see everyone's safe as that would have been a big shock, definitely at that speed. How long since you had a wheel alignment? I only ask as the right hand side tread block in your photo shows that the small grooves in that side have almost worn away completely. Made me wonder if you've got a lot of neg camber or tow dialed in causing a bit of weakness in the sidewall?

Are many other people out there running nitrogen in there tyres?

Glad to see everyone's safe as that would have been a big shock, definitely at that speed. How long since you had a wheel alignment? I only ask as the right hand side tread block in your photo shows that the small grooves in that side have almost worn away completely. Made me wonder if you've got a lot of neg camber or tow dialed in causing a bit of weakness in the sidewall?

No street/track wheel alignment regardless how aggressive will cause this kind of damage.

Nitrogen is not only a waste of money but absolutely stupid and unsafe on the street. There is a bunch of clueless people driving around who have been convinced by the tyre shop to get nitrogen, they dont want to fill up with regular air and hence dont bother checking their pressures. Those stupid green valve caps make it worse, its like 'oh no, thats right, nitrogen - cant risk mixing air in, ill leave it to the workshop to check!'.

Nitrogen for the general public is a complete scam and puts people at risk due to never checking their pressures.

When i got the rims i was running the stock suspension, so there was no camber or toe (they did an alignment when i got the rims). i lowered my car about 3 weeks ago and strait afterwards took it to get an alignment again. the photo isnt that great, the wheels could still pass as brand new, i only drive my car on the weekends. the nitrogen is becoming quite popular quite a few people i know are running the nitrogen, i rekon theres quite a difference.

What difference do you find?

on my way home with 4 different tyres on and with "normal" air it felt a lot bumpier. im not saying that i know everything about anything, it felt like once the tyres warmed up the air had expanded quite a bit?? the shop i get my nitrogen from is just down the road, and they give it to me for free, so doesnt make any difference to me wether i go to the servo or them.

on my way home with 4 different tyres on and with "normal" air it felt a lot bumpier. im not saying that i know everything about anything, it felt like once the tyres warmed up the air had expanded quite a bit?? the shop i get my nitrogen from is just down the road, and they give it to me for free, so doesnt make any difference to me wether i go to the servo or them.

Dont want to come across the wrong way here but trust me, you wouldnt have noticed any difference from the heat related pressure rise driving around normally. I guess you cant check now since you have nitrogen in the tyres, but when you have a chance measure the pressure when you get in a car, then measure after a normal drive and I think you will be surprised at how little it changes. Running low profile sports tyres you are not going to notice ride quality difference from a few psi anyway.

Its great that you can get it for free, just dont buy into all the BS about it...

Dont want to come across the wrong way here but trust me, you wouldnt have noticed any difference from the heat related pressure rise driving around normally. I guess you cant check now since you have nitrogen in the tyres, but when you have a chance measure the pressure when you get in a car, then measure after a normal drive and I think you will be surprised at how little it changes. Running low profile sports tyres you are not going to notice ride quality difference from a few psi anyway.

Its great that you can get it for free, just dont buy into all the BS about it...

thats all good bro, i think i was mostly paranoid on the drive back after what happend :ph34r:

different tyres, different pressure, different conditions, i can tell u right now, it aint the nitrogen lol

just a little bit of chemistry on the nitrogen vs air: air is 79% nitrogen. in terms of heating, the air is usually good enough for most track running right, so cars on the street aren't really going to show much difference. back when i was karting the tyres would heat up to 60oC and above, the tyre surface becomes like plasticine to give massive grip and they were still running on air.

in terms of gas and expansion there is very little difference between oxygen and nitrogen, like very very little, esp while we're talking temp differences lower than a few hundred degrees. AND there's only 21% oxygen in the air, which makes that tiny difference even smaller.

nissan decided the r35 gtr needed nitrogen, but nissan to their credit did everything they could to make the r35 as precisely as possible, like individually hand-built engines and gearboxes tailored to each unique engine.

bad luck about the tyres mate, hope you gave them an earful. im on nankangs atm and not happy with them, both back tyres have a bit of a shallow split (not low enough to hit the chords). one was my bad, inside tyre in the rain nipped a curb i couldn't see, the other happened on its own :$

they are owned by continental, doesnt get that much bigger when it comes to tyre brand names, and sweden arent exactly know for low quality, which makes me think there's more to it.

Lamborghini are owned by Volkswagen, who make the Polo. what's your point?

sorry, I don't mean to be so abrasive.. but the fact that Continental don't put their name on it should probably tell you something. I'd say that brand of tyres is built to a price and that price is "not very good".

Lamborghini are owned by Volkswagen, who make the Polo. what's your point?

sorry, I don't mean to be so abrasive.. but the fact that Continental don't put their name on it should probably tell you something. I'd say that brand of tyres is built to a price and that price is "not very good".

afaik the reason they dont put their name on it is gislaved is an established name in sweden, no point calling them contis.

also whats wrong with the polo? im trying to understand how that example is the slightest bit relevant