SAU Community

Just Bought My First Car

yep and then later on you might be able to ask people the retail on they're car before a drag race.

And they will inform you that the dollar value is the brand name of the car, not a number. But it will be more than you can afford, Pal. So it doesn't matter.

Edited by Isola

Gaskets are fitted. Keeping the stock BOV, no need to be a wanker.

After taking out the airbox (gater racing panel filter), it seems I need to have it tuned to run without an AFM, meaning I have to take it to a turbo shop and have them fit my pod for me.

Which is more than likely going to cost a ridiculous amount of money :banana:

Having 4 months left to kill on logs helps though

• Nope 1

yeeah, having limited mechanical knowledge, I know that I DO have an AFM, and that there is physically not enough room to put a pod filter in place of the old airbox, requiring tuning to run without an AFM, or whatever the thing is with the gold-ish plate that goes into my airbox.

Only going on what i've been told.

• Nope 1

In response to the afm bit - what? Step one: buy an adaptor for pod filter ($15 at superrepcoautocheapbarn). Step two: remove airbox and keep all your screws. Step three: attach adaptor to AFM. Step four: attach pod filter to adaptor, use good clamps, don't over tighten. Expected time to complete: 15 mins plus half an hour to go to your local superrepcoautocheapbarn™.

Not hard at all. No need to lose the AFM and truth be told your not going to gain anything from ditching it anyway. Plus you save money on tuning.

Now ignoring all the pointless bagging of the new skyline owner: just drive sensibly okay? I sold my first R33 turbo to a kid on his L's (his first car) and wrapped it around a power pole a week later - country road, sharpish corner, too much throttle, oversteer, over correction, crash. His mate in the car had a broken leg but otherwise no injuries - could easily have killed them both. In retrospect I shouldn't have sold it to him.

In response to the atmosphere here: *sigh*

This is something that I'm sure a certain Mr.Eps pointed out a while back. As the purchase price of skylines drop we will be getting new breeds of people buying skylines - the young, the cheapskates, the inexperienced, the bogans, the boostcruisers (had to be said :D ) and various others. Its slowly but surely turning me off buying a skyline again.

I might just stay with the euros - something that has been historically bogan proof - just to avoid being tarnished by the bogan twat brush. Public perception of skyline owners is only set to get lower and lower...

Edited by R33_Dude

I think the best way of putting it is there is physically not enough room between the AFM and the side of the engine bay to fit a pod filter.

It simply will not fit :D

For reference, after researching since rougly January/February I found this one in the Quokka for 6k and worked my way down.

And rest assured I know the power of this car, how easy it is to lose the tail end and the severity/consequences of motor vehicle accidents, hence why I'm not going to be your typical P-Plater trying to be hektik and drift every corner in their fUlLy $iCkKk SkYlInE.

Edited by L-Plater

I think the best way of putting it is there is physically not enough room between the AFM and the side of the engine bay to fit a pod filter.

It simply will not fit :blink:

For reference, after researching since rougly January/February I found this one in the Quokka for 6k and worked my way down.

And rest assured I know the power of this car, how easy it is to lose the tail end and the severity/consequences of motor vehicle accidents, hence why I'm not going to be your typical P-Plater trying to be hektik and drift every corner in their fUlLy $iCkKk SkYlInE.

i think you should take a picture of both the engine bay and the filter you are trying to fit. there are thousands of skylines out there with pod filters on them, so if you aren't able to fit one there there is someting weird going on. either the pod filter you are trying to fit is stupidly big, or you are just plain doing it wrong. the pod should take up about the same space as the airbox, or even a bit less.

Here's the airbox setup. Second image showing pod filter resting on top of airbox.

Im thinking that i should just take the airbox out, and attach the pod filter. Which kind of makes me question my mechanic's judgement :rofl2:

Can i just unscrew the airbox, get rid of it, stick an adaptor onto the AFM and bolt the pod on? Makes sense to me

post-75003-1278918092_thumb.jpg

post-75003-1278918220_thumb.jpg

Okay the airbox comes off very easily. Unbolt it and put it somewhere safe for when you decide to sell the car.

Referring back to my previous post:

Edited a touch.

Step one: buy an adaptor for a pod filter ($15 at superrepcoautocheapbarn).

Step two: remove airbox from car - top and bottom sections. Keep all your screws.

Step three: attach adaptor to AFM loosely bolting down finger tight.

Step four: attach pod filter to adaptor, make sure you slipped the clamp on before hand. Use good clamps, don't over tighten if you dont want them broken.

Step five: check all bolts and screws are tightened.

Step six: fit a heat shield of some description.

Expected time to complete: 15 mins plus half an hour to go to your local superrepcoautocheapbarn™.

Alternative is to fit a high flow panel filter. Will do the same if not better job than an unshielded pod.

Edited by R33_Dude

Okay the airbox comes off very easily. Unbolt it and put it somewhere safe for when you decide to sell the car.

Referring back to my previous post:

Edited a touch.

Step one: buy an adaptor for a pod filter ($15 at superrepcoautocheapbarn).

Step two: remove airbox from car - top and bottom sections. Keep all your screws.

Step three: attach adaptor to AFM loosely bolting down finger tight.

Step four: attach pod filter to adaptor, make sure you slipped the clamp on before hand. Use good clamps, don't over tighten if you dont want them broken.

Step five: check all bolts and screws are tightened.

Step six: fit a heat shield of some description.

Expected time to complete: 15 mins plus half an hour to go to your local superrepcoautocheapbarn™.

Alternative is to fit a high flow panel filter. Will do the same if not better job than an unshielded pod.

Thanks a lot mate :rofl2: Have to wait until next pay to get the adaptor, but will get onto all that straight away. What do you mean exactly by a clamp? Just need to clear that one

Also need to know whether its completely necessary to fit a heat shield, seeing as i have SFA idea/ability to do so. Supposedly seeing as I have cold air intake right next to it it wont matter? Only going on what I've been told there though.

Cheers

Edited by L-Plater

Well to attach the pod filter to the air flow meter there is an adapter, the pod filter slips over the adapter and then clamps down. Its tight fitting but you still need a band or t-clamp to make it fit tight.

So its afm -> adaptor -> clamp -> pod filter -> heat shield

The band clamp goes around the base of the pod filter which is attached to the adapter.

Its pretty easy, and its probably the most simple thing you can do.

On the heat shield front, particularly in Australia, if your car isn't moving the air it will be sucking in is engine bay ambient temperature which is hot. Not good on a number of fronts.

There are already some good tutorials on here for making heat shields, its easy and cheap. I'll dig up the link for you, but in the future search for this info - most people on here are pretty decent but you can't be spoon fed all the answers all the time. Do the research and ask considered questions and its better for everyone.

I'll add that link in a sec.

LINK: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ma...l&hl=shield

Edited by R33_Dude

Just tried installing the pod, got all parts etc. ready and woe be me, cant get the f**king AFM bolts undone. The airbox itself twists trying to undo them, and has begun to strip on one corner.

Not risking stripping the nuts. Wtf can i do? :(

Aha, had a good laugh reading through all the comments(;

The 'gasket' is referring to replacing/repairing the rocker roller cover, which is leaking a few drips of oil. Had a qualified mechanic mate come out with me to have a look at it, just using his terms.

The only other problem would be the rear suspension bushings, which id consider fairly worn. Before I get my license i'll get them replaced.

Also done 172xxxkms, hence reasoning for the price. Besides that mechanically A1 ;)

Just picked up a K&N pod filter (from someone on here), which is going in tomorrow.

Theres also a large fmic (from a vl turbo kit) going on in a few weeks. Mate said it should suit fine, anyone with experience care to enlighten?

Dont worry, you wont see this wrapped around a pole on 7 News anytime soon(;

Thanks a lot mate ;) Have to wait until next pay to get the adaptor, but will get onto all that straight away. What do you mean exactly by a clamp? Just need to clear that one

Also need to know whether its completely necessary to fit a heat shield, seeing as i have SFA idea/ability to do so. Supposedly seeing as I have cold air intake right next to it it wont matter? Only going on what I've been told there though.

Cheers

1. Im glad you had a laugh at all the comments, "HAHAHA NOT FUNNY MOTHER f**kER"

2. you sound like a little cocky f**khead with that comment. you were still sucking on your mums juggs when some of the guys here had r33's, that being said we all have a fair idea on pricings of the cars. so it was fair to assume something was f**ked.

3. If you care to read the last 2 comments i put in bold... "Only going on what I've been told there " and " a qualified mechanic mate " its fair to say he is the person telling you what to do?... well he clearly has no f**king idea, what the f**k he is talking about.

4. Your still a douchebag

5. So is your qualified mechanic friend

6. LUCKILY... for you, theres still a chance to save yourself from being written off as a complete dickhead...

Listen to what the ppl on this forum are saying... seriosly dont listen to your friend. the ppl on this forum speak from experience.... EVERY idea you have on a different way to mod your car... its been done...

as for the clamp...

the afm BOLTS on to the adaptor... then from the adaptor. you slide on the podfilter. but you need a clamp to "clamp on" the podfilter to the afm.. its the big silver ring with cuts in it that has a screw head at one end...

just because your mate is a mechanic.. dosent mean he knows what he is talking about when it comes to these things.

for a "qualified mechanic" to tell you to get a workshop to install your pod without the afm... is silly. unless your running and aftermarket ecu... even a 1st year apprentice wouldnt say that shit

installing a podfilter is the first d.i.y everyone pretty much has done.

dont be a fool that gets a workshop to install a podfilter. i know you have no idea like you said, but you made a good choice on jumping on the forums.

the last thing i want to say is, take your car to a trackday or a skidpan day... im pretty sure you dont need to be over 18 to do so. and its definatley iny our best interest to be able to go somewhere, go nuts with your car and loose control of it... in a controlled environment. rather than on the street

also another thing that pissed me off. is "the vl cooler that should fit in"

i would tell you to go to justjap.com and get yourself a RETURN FLOW intercooler...

but look on the forums first see of someone is sellingone..

if your cars a virgin. get a turnflow cooler. unlike normal intercooler kits, you dont need to drill any holes and its legal. going by how difficult it was for your mate to point you in the right direction of how to install a podfilter. id hate to see what he would do with a holesaw and your car...

goodluck

1. Im glad you had a laugh at all the comments, "HAHAHA NOT FUNNY MOTHER f**kER"

2. you sound like a little cocky f**khead with that comment. you were still sucking on your mums juggs when some of the guys here had r33's, that being said we all have a fair idea on pricings of the cars. so it was fair to assume something was f**ked.

3. If you care to read the last 2 comments i put in bold... "Only going on what I've been told there " and " a qualified mechanic mate " its fair to say he is the person telling you what to do?... well he clearly has no f**king idea, what the f**k he is talking about.

4. Your still a douchebag

5. So is your qualified mechanic friend

6. LUCKILY... for you, theres still a chance to save yourself from being written off as a complete dickhead...

Listen to what the ppl on this forum are saying... seriosly dont listen to your friend. the ppl on this forum speak from experience.... EVERY idea you have on a different way to mod your car... its been done...

as for the clamp...

the afm BOLTS on to the adaptor... then from the adaptor. you slide on the podfilter. but you need a clamp to "clamp on" the podfilter to the afm.. its the big silver ring with cuts in it that has a screw head at one end...

just because your mate is a mechanic.. dosent mean he knows what he is talking about when it comes to these things.

for a "qualified mechanic" to tell you to get a workshop to install your pod without the afm... is silly. unless your running and aftermarket ecu... even a 1st year apprentice wouldnt say that shit

installing a podfilter is the first d.i.y everyone pretty much has done.

dont be a fool that gets a workshop to install a podfilter. i know you have no idea like you said, but you made a good choice on jumping on the forums.

the last thing i want to say is, take your car to a trackday or a skidpan day... im pretty sure you dont need to be over 18 to do so. and its definatley iny our best interest to be able to go somewhere, go nuts with your car and loose control of it... in a controlled environment. rather than on the street

also another thing that pissed me off. is "the vl cooler that should fit in"

i would tell you to go to justjap.com and get yourself a RETURN FLOW intercooler...

but look on the forums first see of someone is sellingone..

if your cars a virgin. get a turnflow cooler. unlike normal intercooler kits, you dont need to drill any holes and its legal. going by how difficult it was for your mate to point you in the right direction of how to install a podfilter. id hate to see what he would do with a holesaw and your car...

goodluck

Little harsh up top there. All been in good faith mate.

I'm becoming a little skeptical of my mates mechanical ability. I have put my trust in someone that has completed their apprenticeship + TAFE to know what they're on about, but having realised that I can install the pod filter myself.. im a bit suss of him.

The forums have been great, and a good way to source advice, parts & knowledge :D

Anyway, not important. What I'm looking for is a way to unbolt the AFM, seeing as the bottom bolts are impossible to reach :D

Already got my clamps, pod cleaned/oiled up & adaptor all ready to go, just got to get the bloody thing off

Edited by L-Plater