SAU Community

Dry Sumped Rb30, 4wd, Moved Diff Forward 140mm

Hi Guys,

Thought some people might be interested in what I have been working on. Its a RB30 with a custom sump adapter I designed that moves the diff section of the sump forward 140mm. I then cut the sump up and got a heap of water cut ally sheet and got it welded. I haven't done the windage trays yet and also it needs another oil drain point int he front of the sump. Sorry about the pics it was just taken on my iphone. This is a sump I want to put into my datsun 1200. There was 10 hours of welding in the thing!

post-29334-1278661881_thumb.jpg

post-29334-1278661931_thumb.jpg

post-29334-1278661952_thumb.jpg

post-29334-1278661972_thumb.jpg

post-29334-1278661988_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

thats the same plan i have for my sump, as engine is going back about 170mm.

do you have any of the adapter plate drawing in cad?

:), might me a bit cheeky asking,

simon

• 9 months later...

awesome. can't believe I didn't see this before. it's something many people have thought of. wanting to relocate RB26 engines but being hampered by the fact that the diff and front drive shafts are in the sump and so if you moved the engine you'd end up with either some crazy driveshaft angles at best and an undriveable car at worst. very nice solution indeed. :)

excellent work. I'd love to hear how it's going these days?

• 2 months later...

Don't really know much about this stuff but sounds awesome!

Is this something you would need to successfully install awd into say an R31 or S13 for example.

Any news on the build or any other builds of this nature?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I didn't have email notifications set up so I only seen this while browsing, I have not really progressed this car much as I have about 50 other projects on the go, Trying to really finish them and get stuck into this thing. I have designed a new way of building the sump with a lot less welding, and would just be generally better in design.

I would be happy to make one of these for someone or supply a modified sump adapter if you would like to buy one. I bought 4 more 26 sumps just to have a play around with along with a 250 amp kemppi tig.

Currently working fly in fly out so it has sort of screwed me of time...

Also I would be able to move the sump forward 170mm but that is the limit, above that I think you would be better of ditching the diff all together and running a "normal" lsd in front of the motor.

Edited by GTR1993