SAU Community

Coilovers Or Spring And Shocks?

Im stuck between a rock and a hard place(probably just another rock). I know my front shocks are very tired, and the rear are so-so. I went to pedders and the quote for all 4 shocks was $1200. WOW!!!,(and not a good wow either). Anyway, so now im stuck with the decision to either do that or spend the equivelant and go with coilovers. 95% of use is just street use, which in Tassie is moderate condition roads.

I still would like comfort, but as im intending on going from a stock 33 gtsts(154rwkw) to just a slightly better 200rwkw, then maybe having some coilovers will provide just that slightly better balance to the car. I have some fantastic windy roads near home that can be heaps of fun aswell.

Do i sacrifice some comfort? bearing in mind i have a mangled disc in my spine too(so a hard ride will hurt).

My price range for some coilovers is up to $1200 so any advice on models would be mucho appreciated. I would like to avoid the junk, but also not blow a budget.

Edited by cptpugwash

Theoretically, every suspension combo for a R33 is a "coilover"?

If you have windy roads, you want swaybars for handling. So you can afford to run slightly softer suspension. The best is going to be Bilsteins or Koni in the shock department, but at $1000 per end puts it outside your budget. If you can, maybe some KYB shocks with a Kings low spring and upgraded swaybars would seem appropriate (although that total combo is likely to be outside your budget as well).

First things, everyone will be itching to tell you that because Skylines run wishbine suspensio rather then Macpherson struts, they run "coil overs" std.

So i take it you mean an adjustable coil over with rebound/dampening adjustment and height adustment vs a non adjustable arrangmenet.

Adjustable stuff does not have to be harsh and crashy or racey. They can be whatever you want them to be. Look around for pricing on Koni and Bilstein then compare that with Tein Super Street etc. Just stick with a spring rate not much higher then std and the thing will deive nice.

If you nominate a budget it is easier to offer suggestions

First things, everyone will be itching to tell you that because Skylines run wishbine suspensio rather then Macpherson struts, they run "coil overs" std.

how are mac struts not coilovers? lol

$1200 for height Adj only Bilstiens and $300 for King springs, that's what I paid and they are awesome.

The car is a pleasure to drive even on bumpy roads and handles much better than the G4 coilovers they replaced.

Also the car is much more stable on high speed corners when hitting a rumble strip or edge.

the off the shelf bilsteins and kingies are good if u want something street friendly that ur never going to touch again. personally i think they are just too soft to get close to the cars limits for any real hard driving though.

So supersprints are not getting close to the cars limit ?

I'm faster now than with the harder ones they replaced !

So as a street and supersprint/trackday friendly suspension set up they are the best compromise for not much money, if you want hard suspension for driving around be my guest but I got sick of a horrible ride around town and something that when clipping rumble strips it would upset the car to the point of near loss of control.

I did replace G4 coilovers though which are a cheap option, which was still more than the OP was interested in spending.

yeah sorry to say I don't see you picking up decent suspension for $1200. Most of the cheap coilover kits are best described as harsh, they generally run high spring rates and hard shocks to feel "racey".

new standard type shocks to replace what you have + sway bars is the best way to spend 1200.

BTW I disagree about off the shelf bilsteins being too soft. I run them on the race car and they are excellent for such a (relitively) cheap shock. I would have to pay $5k+ to get something better. Soft is good to an extent (or at least, harder is not always better) because it helps keep the wheels on the road.

the off the shelf bilsteins and kingies are good if u want something street friendly that ur never going to touch again. personally i think they are just too soft to get close to the cars limits for any real hard driving though.

I got the bilsteins, they are not adjustable, and have the bilstein springs i think (blue ones) they are awesome if you hold your line right through the apex they hold beautifully, if your turn in too sharp they can dip , giving the impression they are too soft but really you just haven't taken the corner properly..

They are really comfy and perfect for speed humps too, people are constantly amazed at the speed i approach them, its not super low,but it is low...Scrapes leaving my driveway...And thats with the not low S1 bumper

So for everyday, id give them the :P If you can afford them cause i absolutely love them....Really just depends if you want then adjustable...if you set a street car up right first time you want need adjustables anyway.

Edited by Arthur T3

I guess if i wait an extra week or two i might be able to up my budget. But after looking at the price of Tein ss, $2000-$2400, maybe not that much. I have had a glance at the K-sports($1750), and they have some great features, including the montube which from alot of the info ive garnered, are advantageous over the tt.

Another reason i would like some adjustable coilovers over the factory setup is the ability to lower it ever so slightly. Maybe only 30-40mm, any more and i would be hitting the bitumen a fair bit as i occasionally do now. Also any lower would firm it up so much my back would be screaming in agony. Spending $1200 at pedders just for some shocks seems a real waste.

$1200 for height Adj only Bilstiens and $300 for King springs, that's what I paid and they are awesome.

did that but with basic sports bilsteins that have circlip height adjustment not a thread like coilovers. fitting them in 2 weeks time they are replacing flogged out OEM shocks and springs.

i would not go coilovers in a daily, you are paying for height adjustment, springs that are usually too hard and a cheap shock absorber unless you spend a good deal of money.

+1 for bilstein shocks and king springs. I replaced some japanese ohlins coilovers with these and its sooo much better. I did gain some more body roll but with sway bars its all gone. Now I fly around corners smoothly taking the bumps instead of bouncing around loosing traction at bad times.

Best thing I have done.

Bilsteins are half the price from the US. Keep your standard hats and then buy springs (Kings) locally. If you want a firmer ride you can get Heasman's in Sydney to revalve the Bilsteins to suit any spring rate you want to run.

Any coilovers for $1200 will be shit for the street.

U won't get Bilstein shocks AND King springs for $1200.

Just get a full set of new Bilstein B6 shocks and get a couple more circlip grooves machined into em to lower em using stock springs.

Edited by bradsm87

Any coilovers for $1200 will be shit for the street.

U won't get Bilstein shocks AND King springs for $1200.

Agree with the first statement, although I reckon they will be shit full stop.

Agree with the second, but Bilsteins are around $1100 a full set and Kings are $300 a full set. So $1400 has you laughing, what's 200 bucks to do it properly?

$1100 for Pedders shocks - you've got to be joking.

The pedders quote was for $1200, and yeh, i was a bit shocked(no pun intended). But since then i have heard personally and read a few bits aswell about how pedders are a rip off.

I have also contemplated just getting a quote elsewhere, get the shocks done and actually sell my loved r33. I may be in a good position in about 8 months to look at maybe a 96/97 gtr. Truth be told, it was a gtr i wanted to get 6 years ago, but they were all $35,000 or more for a tidy one. Now there are alot around $23-25,000.

So, spend $1500 on suspension?, then look at exhaust, inlet, intercooler?(another $3,000). OR maybe $900, then save my bikkies for a gtr?

WWJD??????