SAU Community

Coilovers Or Spring And Shocks?

I got pedders to do my coilovers for 1600 installed, which seemed fair. They have been BRILLIANT. Not sure where you get bad pedders from but my guys at Slacks Creek are wikkid.

The pedders quote was for $1200, and yeh, i was a bit shocked(no pun intended). But since then i have heard personally and read a few bits aswell about how pedders are a rip off.

I have also contemplated just getting a quote elsewhere, get the shocks done and actually sell my loved r33. I may be in a good position in about 8 months to look at maybe a 96/97 gtr. Truth be told, it was a gtr i wanted to get 6 years ago, but they were all $35,000 or more for a tidy one. Now there are alot around $23-25,000.

So, spend $1500 on suspension?, then look at exhaust, inlet, intercooler?(another $3,000). OR maybe $900, then save my bikkies for a gtr?

WWJD??????

I got pedders to do my coilovers for 1600 installed, which seemed fair. They have been BRILLIANT. Not sure where you get bad pedders from but my guys at Slacks Creek are wikkid.

id like to know what u have to compare them with and what actual proof u have to back up those claims, as im yet to see anything but junk come out of pedders

Depends what your looking for.

The main advantage of buying an aftermarket coilover kit is the adjustability.

So you can adjust ride hight, whether it be for looks, or to get corner weights correct to balance the car.

Adjustable dampers to adjust for different road surfaces etc.

In all honesty.. unless your looking for the "tunability" out of your suspension.. aftermarket coilover set ups are a waste of money in my opinion.

Otherwise dampers and srpings are sufficient.

Agree with the first statement, although I reckon they will be shit full stop.

Agree with the second, but Bilsteins are around $1100 a full set and Kings are $300 a full set. So $1400 has you laughing, what's 200 bucks to do it properly?

$1100 for Pedders shocks - you've got to be joking.

I paid around $1300 for my Bilsteins a few months ago from Heasmans with the sydney kid valving. Not sure if that was extra or if its more for an R34. But I got the king springs for $220 so I made some back there hehe

VERY HAPPY

having adjustable coilers may sounds really cool, but whenever you change the height wouldnt you need to get an alignment done to sort out the camber change associated with changing the geometry by lowering, right....?

I got a set of brand new bilsteins for $650 delivered and found some 6month old king springs for $150 lowered the car by 25mm roughly, got brand new whiteline F&R adjustable sways ($150 each with linkage) and brand new bushes all round ($60 each front & rear), brand new whiteline pineapples ($40 delivered) and then alignment from Selby, best thing ever...

If your patient you can find bargins here and there, save yourself heaps and get good products too... then install everything yourself, save more money and enjoy the fruits of your labour... Im the bargin finder king...

having adjustable coilers may sounds really cool, but whenever you change the height wouldnt you need to get an alignment done to sort out the camber change associated with changing the geometry by lowering, right....?

I got a set of brand new bilsteins for $650 delivered and found some 6month old king springs for $150 lowered the car by 25mm roughly, got brand new whiteline F&R adjustable sways ($150 each with linkage) and brand new bushes all round ($60 each front & rear), brand new whiteline pineapples ($40 delivered) and then alignment from Selby, best thing ever...

If your patient you can find bargins here and there, save yourself heaps and get good products too... then install everything yourself, save more money and enjoy the fruits of your labour... Im the bargin finder king...

hey mate any secrets where you got these prices from? sounds like an awesome deal

I watch for sale threads, a bit of ebay and some word of mouth, its definitely just alot of patience, I didnt find all the parts at once, I had to collect them over months and then do installs once I acquire everything I need, but I dont like paying shelf prices...

I recently scored a pretty much brand new ARC airbox with a very good condition filter $440 delivered rrp $700+ delivered, a brand new HKS 2835pros $1600 rrp $2300+ and a R.I.P.S intake plenum for $400...

you just have to search and then wait and then search some more....

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to bump and old thread, but does anyone have any advice on some workshops that stock/can order some bilsteins in SE melbourne area?

cheers

(edit) for a good price, of course. looking for around $1000-1200 mark

Edited by nakuma