SAU Community

Anyone Run Into Winshield-wash-guy ?

Kerrknight

Had one on punt road richmond, shook my head told him no and he washed it anyway.

He started chatting even though i wasnt interested. Told us he used to have a skyline too till he wrote it off into a tree, that's wonderful i thought to myself.

I gave him about 50c in change.

I guess if he is a junkie it's better than him stealing robbing and breaking into homes and cars. At least he is providing a service even if it's not needed.

Maybe if they actually sold something it wouldnt be so annoying newspapers, cans of coke or something.

+1

And that's a great idea. I'd happily pay a dollar or 2 for a cold can of coke at the lights. Would love to see them there with an esky full of ice and beverages.

Sometimes I just don't have time to stop for a drink on my way to work etc.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 Mendoza...I'd sooner pay them $1 than have them break into my house, steal my shit, leave burnt spoon marks on my couch and my sugar canister smashed on the ground. Don't doubt the majority might be junkies but I'm not one to decide that until I know them well enough. There's much worse corruption, tax fraud and illegal behaviour out there in the corporate world than down at the traffic lights on the way to work lol. These aren't the only cash in hand jobs avoiding tax.

P.S. Coke cans at the lights for the win! And if they can carry a bedpan too that would also be nice!

Meh, they'll do it with or without my dollar...but could hurt someone in the process of trying to obtain said dollar. A junkie is one thing, a desperate junkie is another altogether.

well it's tax evasion for a start

Only if they don't declare it. And how is a copper to know if the dude has or has not declared his income?

Of course he wouldn't but a copper is not allowed to use assumption as a form of evidence. He's also not an enforcer of taxation laws unless he's with the AFP.

+1 Mendoza...I'd sooner pay them $1 than have them break into my house, steal my shit, leave burnt spoon marks on my couch and my sugar canister smashed on the ground. Don't doubt the majority might be junkies but I'm not one to decide that until I know them well enough. There's much worse corruption, tax fraud and illegal behaviour out there in the corporate world than down at the traffic lights on the way to work lol. These aren't the only cash in hand jobs avoiding tax.

P.S. Coke cans at the lights for the win! And if they can carry a bedpan too that would also be nice!

I agree.

Painting them all with one "filthy junkie" brush is pure ignorance. We don't know each individuals circumstance so cannot reliably gauge what they are and what they are not.

There's always one on the corner of Lower Dandenong Road and Springvale Road, also I think Police Road and Springvale Road. I hate them, they don't take no for an answer.

I reckon if it was some chicks in bikinis doing the wash it would be a completely different story lolz..

I totally agree, they'd definitely make more $$ than old guys dressed up like a bogan.

Only if they don't declare it. And how is a copper to know if the dude has or has not declared his income?

Of course he wouldn't but a copper is not allowed to use assumption as a form of evidence. He's also not an enforcer of taxation laws unless he's with the AFP.

the question wasn't whether a cop could arrest them, it was "how is it illegal"

also there is the issue of permits etc

I am not aware of any law against window washing, but that day, the officer decided to take action and make the law...

No he didn't, there is a law,

Road Safety Road Rules 2009

236 Pedestrians not to cause a traffic hazard or obstruction

(1) A pedestrian must not cause a traffic hazard by moving into the path of a driver.

Penalty: 1 penalty unit.

(2) A pedestrian must not unreasonably obstruct the path of any driver or another pedestrian.

(3) For subrule (2), a pedestrian does not unreasonably obstruct the path of another

pedestrian only by travelling more slowly than other pedestrians.

(4) A pedestrian must not stand on, or move onto, a road to—

(a) solicit contributions, employment or business from an occupant of a vehicle; or

(b) hitchhike; or

© display an advertisement; or

(d) sell or offer articles for sale; or

(e) wash or clean, or offer to wash or clean, the windscreen of a vehicle (other than a parked vehicle).

Penalty: 2 penalty units.

:D

(1) A pedestrian must not cause a traffic hazard by moving into the path of a driver.

(2) A pedestrian must not unreasonably obstruct the path of any driver or another pedestrian.

(3) For subrule (2), a pedestrian does not unreasonably obstruct the path of another

(a) solicit contributions, employment or business from an occupant of a vehicle; or

(b) hitchhike; or

(e) wash or clean, or offer to wash or clean, the windscreen of a vehicle (other than a parked vehicle).

TWO PENALTY UNITS?

A bit harsh isn't it?

(b) hitchhike; or

Well that clears that up!

Thanks for that.

And 'Hi' back to you too ;)

I've been looking into the legalities of professional / legitimate side-of-road windscreen washing.

Whether it's viable or not remains to be seen, particularly given public liability / local law requirements etc.

pretty sure its illegal.

edit ^^ beat me to it.

What I find is you just need to sound pretty aggressive yourself, and they tend to walk away. Done it quite a few times on Hoddle/Victoria intersection, and it works a charm.

I don't ever recall seeing them hand over a receipt.

I'll ask one of them tomorrow if he has ever submitted a BAS or paid GST on his service as well - I suspect i'll get a blank look though...

Not that it really matters as they aren't allowed to be doing it in the first place!

Done it quite a few times on Hoddle/Victoria intersection, and it works a charm.

Yeah these are the ones i walk past 4-5 times a day

nasty bunch, I've seen them kick cars before lol... people inside their cars sometimes are obviously sh|tting themselves as well and lock their doors.

Non english speaking people, elderly and sometimes chicks alone in thier cars.

(b) hitchhike; or

:whistling:

That means those people at intersections advertising Domino's Pizzas are doing something illegal too. Surprised a company like Domino's wouldn't have looked into that.