SAU Community

Hid Retrofit

neon_tetra

Just adjust your headlights properly and they won't blind other drivers. I have HID's without projectors, used to blind everyone before I adjusted them, now they are fine.

Not worth paying hundreds of $$$ for.

Just adjust your headlights properly and they won't blind other drivers. I have HID's without projectors, used to blind everyone before I adjusted them, now they are fine.

Not worth paying hundreds of $$$ for.

This is why I want a proper HID fit with projectors... notice how smooth and focus the throw of the light is with projector vs the one without.

The one without, all the light is scattered.

Again, not worth hundreds of dollars. My HID's are not scattered. There are some slight hotspots close to the car where the light creeps out under the headlight. These photo's are really old and I wasn't really focusing on the HID's, but you can sort of see what they look like.

P090609_2123.jpg

P010609_1803.jpg

P090609_211201.jpg

P090609_211101.jpg

P300709_1710.jpg

I would install the HID's with the stock reflectors, then if you don't like them think about paying for some projectors. If you've ever seen R34 xenon headlights, they don't actually have projectors but the spread is still good. Personally I don't think you need projectors for HID's, but having said that I do think the projectors themselves just look classy. Nothing to do with how they throw the light, I just like the look of projector headlights, looks more modern and refined. So I can understand wanting them, my argument is just based on the fact that you don't actually NEED them to have HID's.

Edited by Hanaldo

" Personally I don't think you need projectors for HID's, but having said that I do think the projectors themselves just look classy. Nothing to do with how they throw the light"

Are you kidding me??

Are you that blind?, did you not see the youtube comparison - hid projector vs stock reflectors?

Perhaps you are lucky with your car with its standard reflector working well with hid, but I would say in the majority of cases, HId kit definitely

need projectors to bring the absolute best out of them.

Why the aggression mate? I'm offering advice, no need to be offensive.

Did you ever think that maybe that bike just has crappy reflectors, as lots of them do? I've seen plenty of different cars with HID's and stock reflectors that look great, it's not hard to get rid of hot spots. Have you tried installing HID's in your car with the stock reflectors? If not then do it, you won't lose anything and you will be able to see how they look with your cars stock reflectors. If there are hot spots, try eliminating them, it's not hard and in most cases you can get rid of all of them. If you still don't like it, by all means go and spend the money to get projectors fitted.

But whatever, it's your money and I'm blind.

I am not trying to be aggressive, just flabbergasted by your comments.

Personally for me is quite clear cut whether projectors are needed in a HID setup, each to their own I guess.

I don't want to get into a debate with you on the finer points of whether projectors are needed in HID installation or not, so back to the original topic.

Can someone recommend me a good workshop that can do the proper fittings I have described?

I found a good kit on the net, just waiting to see if someone in Perth can do a proper HID retrofit and I am good to go to order the kit.

"http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/index.php" - good info on HID if anyone is interested

Edited by neon_tetra

easiest way would be to fit S3 R33 GTR lights, thats if you have a R33 lol. even then you have a to modify them a bit to make them fit...personally i wouldnt bother... ive got hid's on my R33 and no problems...as said b4 adjust them properly

Hi

Anyone know any good autoelectrician in Perth that can do a proper HID retrofit?

that includes modify lights to fit proper hid projectors so I don't blind other drivers.

Attach is an example of a proper retrofit and just not plug and play.

after having a quick look through that first link u posted - the civic, no autosparky shop is gonna be interested in doing that, its more of a DIY job, u mayyyyy find someone whos willing to do a cashy but it looks like theres a shitload of hours involved (as i said i had a quick look through it) so its gonna be very expensive to pay someone else to do it for u.

i didnt see the comparison vid of the projector vs non projector hids, yes there probably is a big difference between the 2 but for everyday driving normal hids are fine. ive had mine for about a year i drive my car everyday and nearly every night, i havnt even aimed my headlights since ive had the car just swapped the old halogens out for my 6000k bosch hids and ive had no problems whatsoever, i havnt been highbeamd or flashed once so they mustn't be blinding people, not one cop has pulled me over for them - ive been pulled over a few times at night the cop has checked over the whole car and not even mentioned the hids, and i havnt had any problems with visibility there wayyyy better then the factory light ive only ever needed highbeam on country roads (so i see animals and crap like that in the distance)