SAU Community

Novice Tuning Question

Funny they dont like the pump fuel but are able to supply you a better product at twice the price. :P

I have had no variation using the southland blends, there is a difference between that and the CSR though, nothing a little 98 wont fix. Once you have a wideband installed you will have no issue.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO I think its extremely dicey to rely on factory knock sensors as they are produced on factory to detect knock at frequencies that are far different from those which occur in a modified engine setup ie turbos, exhausts, then internals etc etc.

Apart from the fact that pulling timing when knock is produced isnt an accurate way to tune timing under full load and wont give best results.

Each to their own but I dont think its fair suggesting a novice to tune his own car without proper use of a dyno.

Its nowhere near as simple as 'pay money for the hardware, do some reading, and tune the car yourself'.

Agreed it may be good for tuning cruise etc, but not for a full tune which includes full load cells.

Just something for the OP and other people considering tuning their own cars to consider.

like i said its not ideal and in no way can you ganruntee it'll work for everyone, but it works well enough on my car for me to trust it. been doing it for over a year and the motors still going strong so it cant be that bad, will be pulling it apart within the next couple of weeks to go 30det, so will have a look for any signs of detonation.

and yes a set and forget street tune wont be as safe as a dyno tune with proper knock detecting, but when doing your own tuning you tend to spend a shitload more time on it than any workshop does and you never let any knock go un checked, so in that way i find it safer. but once again everyones different

Funny they dont like the pump fuel but are able to supply you a better product at twice the price. :D

I have had no variation using the southland blends, there is a difference between that and the CSR though, nothing a little 98 wont fix. Once you have a wideband installed you will have no issue.

Im in Adelaide and there's only one place you can get E85 from the bowser - apparently with wildly varying results at different times so I was advised against it for safety reasons (as the car is a daily)... Tuner was happy to tune it on E85 out of a drum, or on the bowser E85 "at my risk" but trckons a 50/50 blend will be overall better anyway.

See what happens on Monday.