SAU Community

Does Anyone Kno Lots Abouts Cops When They Are Booking You!

skydie

Actually there are no holes at all.

Think about it.

If you know how far "X" is, and how long it took to travel "Y"...

Doesn't take a genius to workout how far, as an estimate, you were going.

And as stated - recognised estimators of speed. Clearly indicating there is no requirement for it to be exact, and that "error" allowance is a fair point.

So like i said, you might be able to work down 10-20km/h, however don't even think for a second you'll get 40km/h rubbed out.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but there are so many holes in the "estimate" weather or not they are highly trained or that they can legally do (what ever that means) any half decent lawer would pull it to bits. What a joke, for starters how did the officer take into account speedo over read and compensate for it as well as Visual angels that may or may not have made the car/object appear to be traverling at a different speed then it really is. Think about the plane in the sky!!

To those that "won" did you not or why did you not sue for defermation of character and dis credit the officer and hopefully put a stop such stupid claims in the future?

you been watchin to much tv

You can not tell me that on a coppers estimate and that alone it will stand up in court

Other wize you might as well "guess" when someone may commit an offence and hay while your at it lets nick em before it happens!!!! incognito any one????

and estimate is nothing more then a rough guess, psuedo science if you will and it can be and most often is wrong

They have to prove beyond reasonable doubt with clear and convincing evidence. I dont think an estimate is either of them tbh whats it called burdon of prof??? (correct me if im wrong)

saying that though they are there after all to "protect" us and to fairly and equally distribute the law

on another note you could argue that an estimate is not fairly or equally distributing the law.

Edited by jjskyline79

When we fine someone for speeding when we follow them we are not fining them on estimation. We just travel at same speed as offender and check his speed by our digital display. There is no estimation at all with this. If I sit behind you and stay a constant distance behind (so we are traveling at same speed) and I am driving at 100 then the speed you must be doing is also 100.

We can issue fine on estimation but I would NEVER do it. I don't think it's fair to estimate (guess) someone's speed and fine them for that and I don't know of anyone that would do that.

You can not tell me that on a coppers estimate and that alone it will stand up in court

<cut>

Can and will stand up in court unfortunately.

As Graeme points out in the post above, he may have had a digital speed checking device in his car, he is under no obligation to show you.

Even if he didn't he can still estimate.

ok....

It's interesting to see people talk about Hoon laws in one place, discretionary powers being abused, etc.

We also talk about defects, what is and isn't detectable, and how these overzealous police negatively affect us.

But we accept that the police are trained "estimators of speed" and must accept the estimation they come up with.

Whats to say that a police officer won't simply come up to you and say you were doing 45+ when you were 10 under? It may be the far end of the spectrum, but whats STOPPING them from doing this to us? I could see this getting pulled to bits by a lawyer.

It's going to come to a day where you will have to record your daily activities, driving habits, how you wipe your ass - Because that will be the only way to protect yourself from stupid discretionary laws.

For arguments sake, if an angry judge passing down big penalties, jail times etc, you can appeal it, and since his 'misconduct' is logged and can be used as evidence, you see appeals often go through without a hitch.

But this is different, you could have been going 95 in a 100 zone, have a cop tell you that you were doing 130+, that you are a dickhead, a danger to society, yelling spitting, abuse. You take it to court KNOWING you weren't speeding, but the judge passes the 130+ as good judgement.

So you end up with fines, abuse, possibly car being taken, all because you were acting within the law. I mean comon, f**k me.

Other wize you might as well "guess" when someone may commit an offence and hay while your at it lets nick em before it happens!!!! incognito any one????

Sorry mate but they are not the same.

Having witnessed someone speeding, and estimated it within confines of the rules and reasonability - How can it not be so?

You seem to not want to accept that which is cleraly before you - It is possible, does happen, and is NOT the same as someone "may" committ - its been observed.

I'm not saying it dose not happen I'm sure certain "powers" are open to abuse

what I'm saying is "they" also have to prove beyound resonable doubt with clear and convincing evidance simple as that

but most people chose not to challenge it as it's almost geared so you lay down if you were, over a barrel.

hay I might "estimate" my tax next year basied on this though what do you think?

Edited by jjskyline79

Can and will stand up in court unfortunately.

As Graeme points out in the post above, he may have had a digital speed checking device in his car, he is under no obligation to show you.

Even if he didn't he can still estimate.

good so he has quantefiable evidence then that is discoverable.