SAU Community

hey guys,

I finally got hold of my first skyline, a R33 GTST. Its a 1997 model, SII coupe. I was just wondering if there is anything special i should know, along the lines of what fuel to use, maintenance, etc. Any special knacks to keeping it in good shape?

Thanks guys, any tips are much appreciated :rofl:

Thanks guys, anything i need to know about warming up/cooling down turbo? Ive been driving a Turbo MX6, but its so primitive i was told that the turbo doesnt need any special care, it just kinda does its thing :rofl:

A friend was given some good advice when he bought his car. They told him there are 3 things you need to know about skylines:

1) Don't accelerate around corners.

2) Don't accelerate around corners.

3) Don't accelerate around corners!!

It's sensible advice. Skylines are tail-happy cars on the throttle because they are very neutral to begin with. They have not been designed to understeer to keep muppets safe like many other RWD cars.

I would highly suggest a defensive driving day or a skidpan day to get aquainted with the car and how it handles. As other have said, use 98 RON fuel as a minimum, service it every 5000km, fit a proper alarm/immobiliser, and warm it up gently before thrashing. Start it, wait 10 seconds and drive off. Drive gently for about 10 minutes so the engine AND transmission are up to temp. Then treat it however you want. Drive gently again for the last 3 minutes of a trip, and then you only need to let it idle while you grab your wallet and phone and undo your belt. No need for 5 minute turbo timers or any of that shit, although my alarm came with one and I leave it to idle for 90 seconds if i have hit boost near my destination. Follow the above and you'll be rewarded with an awesome car.

Nah, well at least mine didn't, Probably best to get one installed quick smart. I am getting the Auto Watch 446 Prem installed in mine adds Central locking, Immobilizer, Super Sonic etc

Here is the specific features:

Early warning

Remote controlled illumination when disarming for personal safety and to assist in locating your vehicle & selective unlocking

Lock and unlock with ignition window closure

Remote panic

Movement sensor isolation PIN override

Two remotes supplied

Auto-arming three circuit immobilisation

Eight remotes can be programmed in or deleted

Two remotes supplied

digital battery backup siren supplied

2 stage shock sensor supplied

Ignition hotwire

Anti-theft/carpet switch & visual and audible on/off indication

Variety of movement sensors available

Rapid test mode for installers

Alarm trigger report back

Trunk release/second channel output

Turbo run-on

Silent arm/disarm accessible from the remote

Courtesy light fade on and off

Full auto arming alarm with optional locking

Tracking output

A friend was given some good advice when he bought his car. They told him there are 3 things you need to know about skylines:

It's sensible advice. Skylines are tail-happy cars on the throttle because they are very neutral to begin with. They have not been designed to understeer to keep muppets safe like many other RWD cars.

I would highly suggest a defensive driving day or a skidpan day to get aquainted with the car and how it handles.  

The whole advice about don't accelerate around corners is probably the best advice you could get. I did it once nearly crashed into a light pole :rofl:

But i am gonna do both Skid pan and defensive driving

as kinks said, just drive it gently until it has warmed up. no need to sit there idling it for 5 mins before driving off.

run 98 octane fuel

if it is anywhere near to 100,000kms get the timing belt changed if it hasn't been done

never trust how many kms are on the odometer, there's a good chance it's been changed

don't run an atmo bov

change the oil and filter every 5000kms, and use either full synthetic or semi synthetic oil.

Thanks for all the help,

And yes Kinks, i just witnessed my mate slide off a bank into three trees yesterday in his Alfa 33, because he accelerated mid corner, car is totaled and he is lucky he or anyone else wasn't hurt. I was behind him in my MX6, very scary. I do enjoy to occasionally boost, but i wouldnt put my self in a situation where i was risking running such a beautiful car (R33) off the road :P And im very keen to take an advanced driving course, as soon as i can afford it lol

Oh and its a Type-M, i googled for ages and could not find any difference between a Type-M and a non Type-M, is there any difference at all?

Cheers guys

I would highly suggest a defensive driving day or a skidpan day to get aquainted with the car and how it handles. As other have said, use 98 RON fuel as a minimum, service it every 5000km, fit a proper alarm/immobiliser, and warm it up gently before thrashing. Start it, wait 10 seconds and drive off. Drive gently for about 10 minutes so the engine AND transmission are up to temp. Then treat it however you want. Drive gently again for the last 3 minutes of a trip, and then you only need to let it idle while you grab your wallet and phone and undo your belt. No need for 5 minute turbo timers or any of that shit, although my alarm came with one and I leave it to idle for 90 seconds if i have hit boost near my destination. Follow the above and you'll be rewarded with an awesome car.

I understand what you're saying here, but on a standard skyline the nose will push wide first, ie they are still set up to understeer first assuming you dont put the boot into it.

Dont put the boot into when you're cornering :D

Thanks for all the help,

And yes Kinks, i just witnessed my mate slide off a bank into three trees yesterday in his Alfa 33, because he accelerated mid corner, car is totaled and he is lucky he or anyone else wasn't hurt. I was behind him in my MX6, very scary. I do enjoy to occasionally boost, but i wouldnt put my self in a situation where i was risking running such a beautiful car (R33) off the road :) And im very keen to take an advanced driving course, as soon as i can afford it lol

Oh and its a Type-M, i googled for ages and could not find any difference between a Type-M and a non Type-M, is there any difference at all?

Cheers guys

in the r33's there isn't really any gts-t's that aren't type m (well there is 1 which is an auto sedan which is a type g or something like that). in the 32's the type m was a gts-t with bigger brakes and leather gear boot or something like that.

The whole advice about don't accelerate around corners is probably the best advice you could get. I did it once nearly crashed into a light pole :(

But i am gonna do both Skid pan and defensive driving

You are not alone my friend,,

Except i wouldnt call what i did accelerating, i just flooded it and thought id hold on, worked for a little while was like yeeeeehaaaa!!!..till i run out of bitumen and found grass then it was like Wooooaahhhh!!!,Luckily it bit in before the guard rail but left me with a nice little scuff mark so i would never forget to treat her with restecp or she will bite....(Or find wider bits of road :bunny: )

nice avatar arthur!

Shit sorry dude i didnt notice, I know you've had it for a while but didnt realize it was arthur dunger..I will revert to my old avatar again... :thumbsup:

Driving a FWD, ive learnt not to accelerate mid corner, those bastards understeer like nothing else, and once they go theres now way to get it back :ph34r:

FWDs can be good sometimes if you accidently throw it into a slide, it is easy to accelerate out of it, cause the car will pull forward in the direction you choose unlike a RWD that will slide out harder when you accelerate..4WD you get the best of both worlds..But there lack of slidability kinda kills the thrill..