SAU Community

R32 Gtr Awd Kicking In When Not Needed

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah deano is on the right track...try the easy thing first. front tyres to rear and see if it still happens.

btw attessa takes input from the abs sensors not the speedo. hicas on the other hand takes speedo input (common cause of failure for hicas)

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

did this ever get resolved?

Ive got the same problem with my 32 gtr, although mine is alot worse than this, it will engage awd at 10kph if you boot it and stay engaged till the car stops, I am going down the path of faulty wheel speed sensor, I spoke to Peter from Advan and he said its quiet common for the front right WSS to fail due to impacting the tie rod end to remove it from the hub when you pull out the front drive shaft, which I did recently.

The impact can cause the sensor to become faulty and send false readings to the attessa computer.

Mine is that bad the car makes a whining noise and starts to steer erradically and at 80kph the torque gauge is at 50!!

All the tyres are the same profile/brand/size and the diff gears are the same....

So Im hopeing its a faulty sensor.

Let you all know soon!

did this ever get resolved?

Not yet .. in the meantime i have pulled the AWD fuse. Are you having similar problems?

I plan to have a look at the car with Doo Doo in the next few weeks .. will let you know how it all goes. I've been busy with other mods to the car as this one isnt super super important just yet! :)

Ive got the same problem with my 32 gtr, although mine is alot worse than this, it will engage awd at 10kph if you boot it and stay engaged till the car stops, I am going down the path of faulty wheel speed sensor, I spoke to Peter from Advan and he said its quiet common for the front right WSS to fail due to impacting the tie rod end to remove it from the hub when you pull out the front drive shaft, which I did recently.

The impact can cause the sensor to become faulty and send false readings to the attessa computer.

Mine is that bad the car makes a whining noise and starts to steer erradically and at 80kph the torque gauge is at 50!!

All the tyres are the same profile/brand/size and the diff gears are the same....

So Im hopeing its a faulty sensor.

Let you all know soon!

Looking forward to hearing from you! Hope you get your issue sorted ;) I think mine is most likely a faulty G sensor ..

willis, for your problem I would start by doing 2 things.

replace your speedo cable as it's clearly faulty (jumping speed reading on gauge). also fix the hicas problem. often these things can be inter-related. if it's a non-hicas steering wheel boss that's causing the problem then it's easy to replace it with the proper boss kit (be aware early and late R32s need a different type as steering position sensors have different default positions).

really you should fix it asap.

I've had this in every 4WD R32 I've owned.

If only intermittent, as in once every two hours on country highways at 100km/h, I wouldn't worry. To resolve it, for a split second, completely back off the throttle and come back on, the front torque will drop to zero. Been exactly the same for years, not getting better or worse. 4WD works fine when you need it.

I find it happens when you hit a decent pothole, have power on as crossing train tracks or really bad surfaces. I live with it, for me it happens once every few weeks. I've done no diagnosis however I reckon its just the 4WD computer getting confused.

Looking forward to hearing from you! Hope you get your issue sorted ;) I think mine is most likely a faulty G sensor ..

Ok so I had a major brain fart when we fitted a new front diff, I got a whole sump which was off a gtr BUT it had the gears changed to 4.375 GTS4 ratio!!

I didn't know this till the other night when I took out the top oil filler plug and counted the teeth on the crownwheel, of course there were 35 instead of 37.

So this was why the 4wd was engaging and doing crazy things. Im just glad I didnt destroy another front diff by running it like ths.

So the answer to my problem was fit GTS4 rear diff gears which i got for a steal from Aussie Diffs for $250 and that was for a complete rear diff! The new gears also make the car much more fun to drive with the shorter gears.

Anyways the other problem was the relay in the boot for the attessa, It would work fine with a multi meter to test continuity, but when i plugged the pump back in it would not pass current. I changed the relay an voila it works great.

I would clean all your wheel speed sensors as they are magnetic and attract all sorts of crap. Blow the rear ones out with an air jet and take the front ones out completely, which is easy as pie.

I would doubt the g sensor is faulty and to test it try driving up and down a steep hill and see how it reacts, if it exaggerates the problem then it could be the g sensor but if not i'd look at wheel speed sensors.

Im no expert by any means but I know how frustrating things like this can be and any info can sometimes help.

Goodluck mate and please just ask if you have any queries.

Cheers Christian

I have play in the knuckle of my front propshaft, i think this might be affecting the transfer case as it might think it's slip

It will be replaced with a good one in a few days, will let u know if it fixes it

propshaft replaced but issue still present, will try bleeding attessa again