SAU Community

Helped Needed With My New Ride....

Hi guys.... I've just got my 2004/05 v35 yesterday and have some potential "issues" that I hope you guys can help me on.

It appears that everytime I start my car, I noticed that my sat nav DVD drive will load and then there'll be a beep sound. I've tried ejecting the DVD by pressing the eject button. The DVD drive will load but there's no DVD coming out. I assume that my car doesn't come with the DVD. After the car runs for about 30 secs, the Japanese girl will talk to me about something (which I can't understand). Andy has mentioned that IF she talks 2 me, then there can be something potentially wrong. I've had a look at the sat nav screen and note that there's something written there per the pictures below. Has anyone seen the message before and does anyone knows what it means?

I also note that under my steering wheel, there's a card reader of some sort which I am not too sure what it is as well. I've again attached a picture of the gadget here. Does anyone knows what it is?

Anyone's help will be most appreciated. Please help! Thanks in advance everyone! Cheers!

post-73395-1280040342_thumb.jpg

post-73395-1280040352_thumb.jpg

post-73395-1280040364_thumb.jpg

Your dvd rom will try and run evrytime you start the car it trying to find a disk or it works out one isnt there and The message is that there is no dvd inserted. It wil come up everytime you start your screen. The dvd rom will run your screen and the menus on it. The dvd rom is for playing the map disks. The running sytem is allready there. The card reader under your steering wheel is not needed. It was removed. I had one aswell because I didnt have the ETC module next to the dvd rom. Its for toll collection. I only have the japanese girl talk if i open the door or pull on the handbreak anything that is wrong will get her to talk. Otherwise i dont here form her. If you decide to convert your screen to english in the future when series II is ready those warnings will all be in english.

Hi guys.... I've just got my 2004/05 v35 yesterday and have some potential "issues" that I hope you guys can help me on.

It appears that everytime I start my car, I noticed that my sat nav DVD drive will load and then there'll be a beep sound. I've tried ejecting the DVD by pressing the eject button. The DVD drive will load but there's no DVD coming out. I assume that my car doesn't come with the DVD. After the car runs for about 30 secs, the Japanese girl will talk to me about something (which I can't understand). Andy has mentioned that IF she talks 2 me, then there can be something potentially wrong. I've had a look at the sat nav screen and note that there's something written there per the pictures below. Has anyone seen the message before and does anyone knows what it means?

I also note that under my steering wheel, there's a card reader of some sort which I am not too sure what it is as well. I've again attached a picture of the gadget here. Does anyone knows what it is?

Anyone's help will be most appreciated. Please help! Thanks in advance everyone! Cheers!

Loh, there must be a Nav DVD in the drive otherwise you wouldn't hear the japanese voice.

The unit under your dash looks like an ETC reader (Electronic Toll Card?) and if so is useless outside of Japan and you can ignore (or remove) it. Interestingly, mine is next to the DVD Nav drive - what is the build date of your car?

The message I believe is simply a copywrite message which you accept and it continues to load. Then again, I don't speak or read Japanese so it may just be telling you that the engine is about to seize. I do know that the car can be very insistent with warning messages if the fuel level runs very low in the car.

Otherwise, I'm a bit confused with your words regarding the DVD loading but not coming out. Do you mean you push the button and nothing comes out? If so, which button are you pushing? The Nav DVD loads in a hidden compartment just above the glove box, not in the console - at least, it does in mine.

Hope this is some help.

Edit - Ducati02 beat me to it. The japanese lady only speaks to me when I press the "Voice" button (top left). I'm thinking I may have inadvertently disabled warnings somewhere in my fiddling. Looking forward to the Series II English conversion guys!

Edited by Stuart McK

P.S The japanese lady will talk without the dvd aswell its for the warnings like if you open your door while driving she will tell you to shut it. Also if you have the map disk in you will get her to talk also but its mostly about the maps then. If you have no disk in it then its most probably telling you a service is due that is set from the maintenance menu. I think what he means by loading is that it sounds like it is.

Brad is correct, warning message on the screen is the message "no map disc in drive"/

The women talking to you could also be a warning that that there is no card inserted in the ETC card reader. There are options in the ETC section of the Navi menu that include, screen warning, voice warning and a few more. Easy to find when in English to turn this off.

Otherwise from memory the ETC menu is the bottom right one of the menu screen and I think it is then the bottom selection again that has the options. Look for a screen that has a series of selectable boxes on the left side (goes green when selected) and you select/deselect them by pressing the wand IN.

Good luck.

Cheers

Andy

Hey Stuart and Brad,

Thanks for the update! I've tried fiddling with the ETC card reader and it seems like the Jap girl will say the same thing (when I start the car) everytime I press a button on the card reader. So I suppose the message is just something about the card reader, perhaps reminding me that there is no card in there as I think I can roughly here the word "card" from what she said.

As for the message on the TV screen, thanks for the clarification Brad! Most appreciated.

Finally, Stuart, you are right. What I meant was when I press the eject button on the sat nav DVD drive (which is above the glove compartment), there is no DVD coming out. And my car is a November 04 make which is perhaps 1 month before yours. Somehow the ETC is located in a different place. :P

Anyway, thanks guys for the help! Really appreciate it esp because the turnaround time since I post is so quick!

Finally, I note that when I start driving the car everytime, i.e. when the car engage into first gear for the first time, there's a little cranking sound coming from the front. It just happens when it engages into first gear for the first time and never happens again. There is no effect in terms of performance and I don't recall hearing this when I got the car yesterday. But it seems to happening today. Anyone has the same issue?

Perhaps I'll put this up as a new thread on the forum.

Cheers!

sorry to hijack the thread, but as far as I can ascertain, as long as there is no disc in the drive, then the beep will sound??

I have the beep from behind the dash somewhere every time I start the car (about 5-10secs after engine starts), but haven't had the screen up, so I don't know if there is a message appearing... My screen is set to "tv" for my ipod, so all I see upon startup is the ipod menu...

sorry to hijack the thread, but as far as I can ascertain, as long as there is no disc in the drive, then the beep will sound??

I have the beep from behind the dash somewhere every time I start the car (about 5-10secs after engine starts), but haven't had the screen up, so I don't know if there is a message appearing... My screen is set to "tv" for my ipod, so all I see upon startup is the ipod menu...

Yup! I get a beep too everytime I start the car. Once I start the car, the DVD drive will run and then "beep".

The beep comes up when the No map disk message comes up. As soon as you turn it on it tries to find the disc and if its not there about 5 sec it will put the no map disk message on the screen along with the beep.

Just to inform you guys, the english conversion doesn't affect the spoken words as I have had mine converted and have recently had a couple of warnings and she still talks in Japanese.

Also on the DVD drive I also thought that I didn't get the map disk as when I tried to eject nothing happened, until I tried inserting another disk and it would not accept it, then I tried the eject button again and out popped a map disk, must have got jammed in the mechanism during transport, and trying to put another disk in dislodged it, would be interesting too see how many people have the disk without realising.