SAU Community

Coolant In Cylinder

hey everyone, ive had my intake manifold off and have put it back on, have removed oil filter warmer and lines and joined all water/ heater/ lines as ive put an rb25det into an r31 and not running a heater. it doesnt leak anywhere externally but if i put my mouth onto a vacuum fitting on intake and blow i can hear a water bubbling/ leak noise and cant see anything leaking. removed all spark plugs and found my fresh coolant sitting in cyl 1, blew it out turned it over a few times and stayed dry, put compressed air into it and it bubbles my cooling system, i dont know if its headgasket or manifold leak or a line somewhere WTF have never ran motor but know it came out of a pretty clean looked after car just on 100,000. can youse sling me some ideas? might pull manifold off tomoro and its a standard manifold, still have cold start hooked up just red directed heater hoses and removed oil warmer thing near filter n replaced with oil relocater kit. tried air down number 2 also and same thing.

any ideas always appreciated, dan

No other cylinders have coolant?

Check all of your piping up around the plenum, if you've cross the TB heating system with a vac line, you'll be pumping coolant into the intake.

ill take some pics this morning but im pretty sure all water lines are joined correctly, no other cyl's were gettin coolant only number 1 when i blow down a vacuum line on the intake, in saying this its such a promenant noise of bubbling surely a head gasket cant leak this hardcore, motor has only sat for a year so im lookin more towards a wrong line hooked up.

joined a few more water lines and and disconnected cold start, turn motor over fair few times then suddenly water submerges into cyl 1 no other cylinders, dry it out and turn it over till it comes back to fire on 1 then it does it again, cracked head? have not had this motor running for a bit over a year was fine when pulled out.

There's a water gallery in the head/inlet manifold next to runner 1.

If the motor was fine before removal of the manifold then my money is on the seal between the 2 being shot.

You need to make sure the inlet valves on cylinder 1 are closed and pressurise the cooling system with the spark plug out. The coolant should run back up into the runner, not get into the cylinder. If it goes into the cylinder the head gasket is shot.

If your able to warm the engine up to operating temp, perform a compression check.

Also take the cap off the radiator (while its cold of course), disconnect the coil igniter pack then crank the engine and watch if the coolant throbs in unison with the turning over of the engine (if you understand what i mean). If there is a crack in the head or stuffed head gasket the compression from cylinder 1 (or whatever cylinder its coming from) will be visible coming out of the radiator. You can also have this test done with a special instrument that measures the gasses coming out of the top of the radiator. Its much more accurate.

Check your oil for water contamination. (milk in oil cap)

Check for oil contamination in the coolant. (milky coolant, possibly foamy/bubbly )

If all else fails then perform a leak-down test or have a workshop do it for you.

By any chance, do you live on the Gold Coast?