SAU Community

on the 31skylineclub, there was too much old archived stuff to read up on, and its just outdated, because i read other things, and they contradict..

any way, first post on here, hi, my names tom, and i drive a s3 wagon 1990 rb30 - mods so far, superlow fronts, chopped rears, import hard shocks for rear, avs rims front

now done a fair bit of driving on it and noticed the brakes to be failing hard.

now whats the go with 31 combatability, it used to be only hr31 brake swaps or theres vt's, or you upgrade the brake slave master cyclinders yada yada.

ideally i would like larger disks, but money is bit of an issue, as debt with daddy o pal is getting rather, big but im good for excuses for not paying him.

first question: just get new pads and rotors keep it simple

second question what do i use my car for: i like to think im in an gtr with awesome control - reality = fail besides the point

so should i go vt brakes if i do that what does that entail?

dba slotted, and new pads or

upgrade to 33brakes and calipers

what please

i just need some help, and guidance as to what to do.

budget 500-800$

Edited by maytho01

what pads do you have at the moment? how old is the fluid? the very first step if you have no idea is to get the rotors skimmed flat and put a fresh set of good quality pads in there, then do a full brake fluid flush with at least DOT4.

My memory is hazy but I think the caliper mounts on the aussie and import version struts were different by 10mm, so if you want the import calipers (which I think were a bit better) you need the import struts and they are probably a bit pricey these days. I think the import struts are also compatible with R32/R33 brakes but that's really pushing the grey matter.. you might need to make some modifications.

Hi mate,

IMO and after owning a 31 the stock brakes are shit even when new pads fluids and slotted disc are fitted.

best bet is to do ther33 front brake up grade as this will make a marked impovement.

you will need the following.

R33 calipers

R33 disc (if you can afford new one do that)

r33 pads (i found race brakes RB74 pads to be good for both street and track just a lot of dust)

HR31 struts (shock and spring bolt in)

brake master cyl brace (the cusco one from powerplayimports.com is $110 and make the pedal feel 100x better)

new brale fluid. DOT 4.5 or 5. (motul do DOT5.)

your offest will move in (towords the eng) and you may need spacers. i.e i had 17 x7 +40 rims with a 5mm spacer on the front. had to go to a 25mm spacer so the rims fit.

Follow the tech guide line on www.r31skylineclub.com for install them.

also if money allows fit some adj camber caster tops (goes on top of the strut) while you have them apart k-mac's does them for around $450pr.

your standed master cyl will work but will fell a bit soft thats why i sugest the brake master cyl