SAU Community

Fire Extinguisher, Cams Fixing Regulation?

Hi need some clarification, the last two events I’ve attended, scrutineering mentioned that my extinguisher needs to be bolted to the car - currently metal bracket is secured with self tapping screws.

I’ve looked in the CAMS schedules to get guidance on the actual required fixing and it didn’t mention anything this specific, just the number of Gs it’s meant to be able to handle. Obviously don’t what to drive in to a tree to see if the extinguisher stays in place.

Can anyone point me to the exact regulation so I can sort it out before the next event.

Sorry if you’ve already read in this in the vic events section, but I was informed it was probably the wrong forum and wasn’t sure how to move it.

Regards

JP

schedule H is the fire extinguisher rules

http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/10_gen_re...dule_H_Q310.pdf

1.1 Hand-held fire extinguishers:

(i) must remain restrained under an acceleration of 25G;

(ii) must be capable of removal by the driver (or crew, where applicable) without the aid of tools.

(iii) must be inspected by scrutineers at least once every six months, or otherwise prior to competition. This

involves visually checking the unit and its mountings for damage, checking the pressure of the contents, and

shaking the container to check for settling of the extinguishant. Where practical the extinguisher should be

weighed.

simply, the scruitineer is saying that they don't beleive a self tapper will meet requirement (i).

is there some reason you can't drill right through where you have the self tappers and use a bolt with large washers to hold it instead?

25G might be hard to quantify but assuming your extinguisher is a 1kg capacity, its gross weight will be just over 2kg which means you should be able to hang 50kg on the mount. I would not trust 50kg on a couple of self tappers!

As Duncan says, drill the holes out a bit larger and put a bolt through them with washers. Then it's not going anywhere!