SAU Community

Finally, How To Stop Getting Defected!

N1GTR

Hmm this might be something worth looking into, yesterday morning I saw two cop cars making a huge scene over a 300ZX a street away from where I live. Two guys with torches one in plain clothes and thongs going nuts under the bonnet. Didn't see much other than a exhaust so not sure why they were making a big deal.

So whats the go with a eng certif? Can you still get defected at all?

Threads been deleted by site admin. Sorry guys, out of my hands.

who are the site admins???

Anyways i thought the group buy wouldve been good idea...

Obiously to some its not...

So who was going to do the engineering?

Id like to do mine when its back on the road

an engineers report wont stop you getting defected but if you have one and produce it when pulled over we find that 8 out of 10 they will leave you alone. alot comes down to your attitude but if a cop see's that your trying to do the right thing they usually leave you alone. As for epa . they are not concerned about engineers reports but only the pollution side of cars. they dont like pod fillter covers or homemade air box's front mounts or external bov. they will however leave you alone if you have had a recent emission test and passed.

an engineers report wont stop you getting defected but if you have one and produce it when pulled over we find that 8 out of 10 they will leave you alone. alot comes down to your attitude but if a cop see's that your trying to do the right thing they usually leave you alone.

AND if you did get a defect you would probably be able to follow that up with a complaint. You could even politely ask the officer on what grounds he was defecting you and if they weren't able to offer a reasonable case for it, you could suggest that you will make a complaint.... Of course, you need to be careful if you're going to play hardball.

correct me if im wrong but all an engineers report does is tell who ever is looking at it that its all done in a safe and propper way, doesnt change that mods on the cars are illegal.

anyway most times u get sent to the epa so paying for an engineers report wil do sweet f.a for you

correct me if im wrong but all an engineers report does is tell who ever is looking at it that its all done in a safe and propper way, doesnt change that mods on the cars are illegal.

anyway most times u get sent to the epa so paying for an engineers report wil do sweet f.a for you

Safe and proper means legal.

If you get the emmisions certificate done, it states that your car already meets emmisions which means a big waste of time to send you there again to be tested.

After I got my eng cert I never even got any more "random pullovers"

... without sounding too much like a complete idiot but wouldnt getting pulled over & not getting defected be as simple as not having anything to defect on, in or under your car ?? ...

... am i just getting old but who wants to have an unsafe, illegal, dodgy car that could potentially hurt you or even worse hurt someone else ?? ...

... having enough brains to hold a drivers licence should qualify you with enough intelligence to equip your car in a 100% roadworthy, legal & safe manner ...

... if it aint then dont drive it till it is ...

... not driving it while its being properly equipped will absolutely guarantee you wont get defected !! ...

... just as i thought - simple !! ... :) ...

Safe and proper means legal.

If you get the emmisions certificate done, it states that your car already meets emmisions which means a big waste of time to send you there again to be tested.

After I got my eng cert I never even got any more "random pullovers"

Matt, a big waste of who's time exactly? Not the officer's, but yours.

Don't get me wrong, the report, and having it lodged against your registration helps, particularly when Police are following you, running your plates, and preparing to pull you over, but they are not stupid, and put plainly, engineers report or not, if they suspect that your car is too loud or may not meet the emissions standard, then they can issue you with a notice at their discretion.

Engineers reports have always been fairly easy to come by, and the old 'remove mods or detune to meet the standards and get the report then replace them' trick is something they are well aware of.

I think its important that others aren't reading this thread thinking that getting this done will guarantee defect immunity.

Engineering isn't just about 'safe', its about achieving FULL compliance with the ADR's and regulations that apply to your particular vehicle.

Illegal mods cannot be legitimately engineered.

There are however 2 classes of permissible modifications, owner certified (minor) or engineer certified, the later being where provided a qualified engineer signs off to say that the modifications don't contravene ADR's and your vehicle still meets the standards.