SAU Community

Track Car Choice

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah considered a Civic but for motorkhana type stuff nothings worse than understeer... major fun killer

seen some impressive results from pretty basic civics tho... prices for aftermarket Honda parts are much cheaper than skylines/silvias etc

yeah huge aftermarket part scene in the US can get parts pretty cheap

problem is engine cost as the Type R engine hold there values the 1.8L dc2 type r engine will set you back 5-6k for complete cut (engine,gbox,lsd,ecu) and i think k20 is around 10k

now thats GTR money ahaha

If she thinks it is cute and likes it then there is no way you can get it... in my experience, the more they hate it the cooler it is. Like when I had my 240Z and my missus would not step foot in it!

haha too true... the missus likes the GTR but if I do any spirited driving she complains that her neck hurts from trying to keep her head upright! lol

she has never referred to it as 'cute' however

I'd chose a 1.8 MX5 out of your choices, BUT, I'd be buying or building an EB through EL Falcon six! They're cheap, they're tough, they're fast, and setting them up well is a known qty.

I personally love the MX5, but I do like a roof, I feel a bit safer.

I'd chose a 1.8 MX5 out of your choices, BUT, I'd be buying or building an EB through EL Falcon six! They're cheap, they're tough, they're fast, and setting them up well is a known qty.

Yeah the Saloon car Ea falcons can be had for nix and they are already setup. and if you get bored with the 4l six drop an alloy headed windsor in it and have a mini V8 supercar

And passing Porsches in a taxi never loses it's appeal!

A mate runs one, owes less than 5k, drives to nag from the track, does high 60's at Lakeside, making it always one of the fast cars there.

EA is an interesting choice.

Usually V8 means dollars, bigger brakes to carry the weight, bigger boxes and diffs to handle torque etc.

But EA gear is so cheap now. Hmm...

so ULGY but ahaha

go the s13 with quads! there are sooo many parts and im sure you could get it to around 1000kg

and the quads look so sexy!

Tomei-SR20ITB-B.jpg

yeah considered a Civic but for motorkhana type stuff nothings worse than understeer... major fun killer

seen some impressive results from pretty basic civics tho... prices for aftermarket Honda parts are much cheaper than skylines/silvias etc

:D really, where.........

a falcon six hey... I like the idea but kinda want someting small/nimble as a bit of a change... been in long wheel base cars for years... cheers for the suggestion tho, i never would have thought of that

and yes shiny bits are out I'm afraid... this will be the kind of car that when something breaks you see how many more laps you can do before it catches fire;)

still I'm surprised nobody has stood up for the old E30... great cars, I've driven a few and some 5 series from the same era and they're lots of fun

still european and budget don't really sit well together

:D really, where.........

most stuff on the hondas is smaller than skylines (maybe not silvias)... wheels, tyres, brakes, exhausts etc seem to be cheaper due to size... obviously when you start talking turbo kits, electronics and forged engines its pretty similar... still buying 4 of everything is cheaper than buying 6

I think an MX-5 would be your best bet overall, with the weight requirement, fun factor, and potential to move to a race series later on big plus points. Oh, and you get the wind in your hair :)

Though an Autech S15 would be pretty cool if you could nab one cheap cheap... though unlikely from what I've seen.

It's an ugly POS but it was cheap, complied and it's pretty fast, even by turbo standards

IMG_8953_resize.jpg

It was unregistered but really would have just needed a good clean and a pea shooter exhaust to get through a blue slip

Cost me 6500, threw in maybe 1.5k worth of bits off my skyline and 1500 worth of tyres

Did 1:09's at wakefield

1:22 flat at OP GP

1:54.5 at my first outing ever at EC with whatever alignment was on it when i bought it and nowhere near enough camber.

Quads are the last thing you need. big f**k off cams are the first :)

And i forgot to mention reliable as hell. Fuel it, track it, park it until the next one.

Edited by badhairdave

Fuel it, track it, park it until the next one.

hit the nail on the head there!

I don't want to be tempted to buy any shiny things for it... or feel bad that I didn't change the oil or wash it...

I just don't want to pay a premium for an N/A just because its P plate legal now and all the 18yr olds want to pretend they're in a turbo import