SAU Community

Track Car Choice

cool little car! would be an absolute monster at khanas and tight tracks... good value I reckon but I know nothing about 80's Renaults

can you imagine being in there with a nav/passenger, it would be like they were sitting on your lap lol

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool car no doubt, but could you imagine actually owning, trying to find bits for it! LOL

I can see it now, setting the alarm for 3am to call a French guy to ask him how much for areplacement whatsit.... "HOW FARKIN MUCH?!?!?!?!"

funnily enough it was just after that. it was at LT8 (I think?) and was so awesome at the time as it had the option of the hand commander with display. cutting edge shit we thought.

I had one of those in my RX-7. The display wasn't working properly so a mate fiddled with it... along with my fuel mixtures. Car was a bucket of shit ever since then.

I had one of those in my RX-7. The display wasn't working properly so a mate fiddled with it... along with my fuel mixtures. Car was a bucket of shit ever since then.

Same, lt8 in an FC.

Except mine never ran right

• 2 weeks later...

I have an NA MX5 and an S13 (well, currently 2 actually).

The MX5 cost $4500, stock standard, has been a great runabout. S13 is being built to be a track toy, and I decided S13 over the MX5 due to cost of the initial car, cost of parts and ease of upgrades.

The first S13 I picked up was a 92' CA18DET, came with Power FC, 17" rims + brand new tyres, supposedly rebuilt bottom end, custom plenum, GTR injectors, GTR intercooler, + blown KKR380 turbo, + coilovers for $2200 unlicensed. Played with that for a bit, but ultimately decided I didn't like the sunroof and didn't want the hassle of getting it licensed, so I picked up a licensed 90' CA18DET for $2800, only issue a dent in the rear quarter. Has a few less mods than the other car (exhaust, coilovers and aftermarket manifold), but drives well. The plan is to put all the good stuff from the other car into the new car, then sell unneeded parts and the first shell to recoup costs. I've also got a full set of suspension arms, GTR brakes, S15 diff and rear subframe, 5 stud conversion, custom Bilstein coilovers and a BB T28 and lots of other little bits and pieces to go into it.

At the end of the day I'm looking at a car with maybe around 200kw, hopefully about 1000-1100 kg, and quality components all for around $10k (will probably blow out though!).

S13s are cheap these days!

Cool car no doubt, but could you imagine actually owning, trying to find bits for it! LOL

I can see it now, setting the alarm for 3am to call a French guy to ask him how much for areplacement whatsit.... "HOW FARKIN MUCH?!?!?!?!"

Nah engines in the wrong end. This is what you want.

post-5134-1282720888_thumb.jpg

post-5134-1282720898_thumb.jpg

post-5134-1282720968_thumb.jpg

Nah engines in the wrong end. This is what you want.

do not tease me with pics like that. no kidding they are one of my favourite cars on the planet. much love for them since the group B days of the 80s. *sigh. would love one as a fun road car.

do not tease me with pics like that. no kidding they are one of my favourite cars on the planet. much love for them since the group B days of the 80s. *sigh. would love one as a fun road car.

Sorry mate, didn't mean to tease.

If I did, however, I would have posted this:

http://www.my105.com/classified.asp?id=14651

And this:

http://www.my105.com/classified.asp?id=14650

haha, thanks DJ.... I'm in the same boat as Richard, I used to read about those things in my youth, and dream of owning one of my very own!

I'm steering clear though, as i reckon with many things from my dreamy youth, the reality doesn't match the dream. My year 10 Drama teacher being one notable exception :P

so I picked up a licensed 90' CA18DET for $2800, only issue a dent in the rear quarter. Has a few less mods than the other car (exhaust, coilovers and aftermarket manifold), but

show me where I can find a regoed turbo S13 in decent mechanical condition for under 3K and I'm all ears!

show me where I can find a regoed turbo S13 in decent mechanical condition for under 3K and I'm all ears!

Boostcruising is your freind Nick.

Thats where we got the last one, absolute bargain. Lotsa despos! lol

please god no... why do you always have to sell your soul to save money;)

there seems to always be lots of bargains up in Qld... down here everyone has their heads up their arse and want 6K for an old CA18det silvia with 250,000km on the clock... I just have to get serious and start flashing the cash at some of these guys, sure to get something for a decent price... I should probably leave the GTR alone first... its in getting the Teins modified at the moment, to secret squirrel Racepace specs... (in other words softened up... blocks of concrete would have been faster and more comfortable than what they were)

Yeah the impression I get is that S13s are expensive or something in NSW and Vic?

There seem to be all sorts of lower spec cars (lots of things like NA SR20s etc) over here in WA for under $3k if you go looking for them.

Edited by mattah

ignoring the N/A restriction (not sure why you want N/A :D )

-s13

-s14

-180sx

-mx5 (with turbo they can achieve good times. )

-rx7, fc

-r32

-r33

some of those cars are available in N/A however, without the turbos, times wont be anywhere near as impressive.

Edited by Peter89

ignoring the N/A restriction (not sure why you want N/A :D )

-s13

-s14

-180sx

-mx5 (with turbo they can achieve good times. )

-rx7, fc

-r32

-r33

some of those cars are available in N/A however, without the turbos, times wont be anywhere near as impressive.

Ignore N/A MX5s at your peril!