SAU Community

Cutting R33 Type M front bar for FMIC

Steg33

I'm looking at cutting out the centre part of my Type M front bar so i can get more flow to my FMIC.

Just wondering if anyone that's done this had any trouble and how they did it? From looking behind the bar, there's a metal bracket all the way across that looks like it's part of the body structure. Have people just cut this out regardless?

Also is the front bar strong enough without the centre of it to hold it together or do i need more attachment points for it?

Thanks for that sweetr33. Sorry if i'm doubling up. Helped heaps, but the pics of Als modds didn't show up?! I'll definitly be doing this to my bumper tho.

I just got a fmic put on my car and i went for the stealth/stock look and nothing was chopped out of the front part of the bar. Only the back where the cooler had to sit was trimmed to fit. It looks great and not too visible

30-01-04_1737-2.JPG

Theres a crap pic of mine. You can see where the two end tanks then the cooler sits behind the middle bit nice and snug. I didnt wanna cut my middle section out as i dont quite like the look of it. Im happy with how it is now

i used a jigsaw to cut the plastic and metal bar with great success. kept the indicators in there place by having custom end tanks made up with outlets at the very bottom of the intercooler. this made the front bar a little flimsy but fixed this with attaching a thin sheet of stainless steel along the bottom, very similar to the stock apron type thing that was there when i first bought the car but blew of one day when i was giving the skyline the boot down the freeway.

i've had my front bar cut and it looks great... i didn't plastic weld like AL as i am going to modify my front bar a little more... i'll post pics when i take 'em...