SAU Community

R33 Gear Box Removal

i am currently removing my r33 gearbox to replace the thrust bearing, i have the gearbox completly loose, the problem is that the top of the gear box is getting caught on the body of teh car, i have tried jacking the engine up and it still does not help, i have been told to lift teh whole engine up and shift it 10cm forward while its is suspended in the hoist.

any ideas? if anyone has removed the gearbox berfore could you let me know how you removed it.

cheers

Hrmm, well im sure how we did it was undo the tailshaft, undo all the bolts in the bellhousing except 1, undo the plugs, then undo the crossmember and viola, the engine tilted back and when we undid the last bolt it practically fell out in our hands..... but they are one freaking heavy box..... I did the clutch once, hopefully thats the last time.

• 3 years later...
i dunno who told u 2 do that Kryostaisis, but that is wrong

u have to twist the gearbox around about 45 deg or so and pull it out

to get it back in its easy, jack up the motor and put it back in the same way

what about detatching the shifter also :)

hey, i did the clutch in mine a while ago.

you need to drop the cross-member off the gear boxand with a jack let the engine pivot on its engine mounts a little, not to much than twist it around untill it clears. of course after you do evreything else. oh there is also a phantom bolt right at the top, in the middle of the gear box. its a bitch to get at. you got that out?