SAU Community

Where/how To Get Started

Jonno34

Hey everyone

I've got a R34 25GT, everythings stock standard at the moment, and planning to do a few of the more simple (and cheaper) mods to it.

I'm quite new to all this, but after reading a few topics on mods ...

Basically, thinking of doing .. in this order

1) 18" rims, tyres, and lowering the car as well as upgrading the suspension

2) Exhaust, CAI, Pod filter system

3) Cosmetics - seats, body kit

Not quite too sure on how to get started on it all, was planning to go see someone who does modifications to cars etc and see what they think, and roughly how much it will cost, cos i really dont have that much $$ to work with.

Anyway, who would you recommend to see to get started and what do you reckon it'll cost me?

Also, any comments/feedback on my plan to mod my car would be good, if you guys know of any other mods to increase performance that arent too expensive, or anything really important ive missed out on please do let me know :D

Thanks everyone

You'll be looking anywhere between $3000-$5000 for some quality Jap coilovers and rims.

Exhaust, if you want Jap, just search around on the forums and something will come out for anywhere between $500-$900 for a turbo-back system, or you could get an XForce system for ~$1000. CAI & pod filter is cheap and easy.

As for seats, if your looking for Brides/Recaros etc prob around $500-$800 maybe? And I'd guess around $1000 for a good Jap un-painted body kit.

All of the above is just a really rough idea on prices, but if you hunt around on the forums and so on, you can always fetch some really good prices.

Just an idea....

Edited by syfon

Hey bud, I'd look at going a full exhaust system first - pod filters don't cost much and generally you won't notice much difference. I've been told for handling 17's are the best choice but if you're going for look I suppose you could go 18's. Just be mindful of things like offset as well as the tyres rubbing the guards may require rolling etc etc..

Suspension as Jason said you would be looking at a high price for quality suspension, if you're on a budget you could look at the BC racing coilovers, do a search under title and there is a whole post on them. I have them on my R34 Sedan and they've been great so far and cost around the $1200 mark for the BR model.

Do LOTS of searching in these forums and just take all the advise with a pinch of salt and you should learn plenty.

Best of luck mate.

Steve

Also, any comments/feedback on my plan to mod my car would be good, if you guys know of any other mods to increase performance that arent too expensive, or anything really important ive missed out on please do let me know :blink:

Thanks everyone

Hey mate, you won't be able to extract much power from an N/A in regards to performance. If your not planning on keeping the car and looking at possibly buying turbo model later down the track I would just go for lowered spring i.e. Tein S tech.

As for rims I would personally buy second hand as it will generally work out alot cheaper than buying new.

And as said previously, do a search as there is heaps of information on SAU.

Pod filter = pointless mod. Don't bother, intake through the stock filter is enough. Cops will also hit you up for it if they are feeling angry on that particular day.

Suspension and tyres are a good start, the car will feel a lot better when you get some quality rubber and handling mods. Don't skimp on urethane bushes either :blink:

WA Suspensions and Tyre Power will help you out there.

thanks for all the info guys!

Had a look at the catback system for sale, will definitely check it out asap thanks Ten Four ..

Didn't know there were so many different exhaust systems, had a quick read up before replying to this .. so basically a turbo back is a FULL exhaust system, and the catback just uses the stock dump pipes coming out of the engine/turbo, and all (or some) of the stock catalytic converters?

Also from what i've seen .. the catback doesnt give as much peak power as the full turbo back system, but mid ranges its not a huge difference?

If this is the case i'll definitely just go with a catback!

Edited by Jonno34

The best way to mod an N/A is to sell it and buy a turbo skyline.

Yeah I have seen that many people are of this opinion, and I WAS going to take their advice and just do that ... I did actually try to sell my skyline and get a GT-T, but I've got some kind of emotional attachment to this car, and I'm thinking its something I'd like to keep for a loooooong time ... N/A is also a bit easier on maintenance (insurance + fuel)

Not obsessed with performance really, just want to have fun with the car and maybe make it a bit more responsive (i've heard that while n/a mods dont add much in terms of raw power that there is some improvement in responsiveness)

Edited by Jonno34

also, does anybody know of any other relatively affordable performance mods that i've missed out on?

Seen quite a few posts mentioning cams and ECU's ... but from what i've seen most people start off with just changing exhaust/filter/CAI and the suspension/tyres/rims .. so thought i'd stick with that initially and then maybe (if i find some more money lying around haha) add a few more upgrades ..

also, I heard that some people needed new engine's or a rebuild around 200,000 - 250,000 kms?

Is this true?

If it is im thinking of maybe putting in a turbo engine at that point, since im definitely going to keep the car ... but wondering if the exhaust etc would still fit on it?

One of my mates said that a turbo-back system would probably fit on the new turbo engine ..

thanks again everyone, sorry if any of these questions are ignorant!

just read through 14 pages of exhaust questions!!

sorry to bother everyone with yet another post on it haha

so basically what i should look for is ...

a cat back exhaust system with a 2.5" mandrel bent twin pipe system and a good muffler basically?

and If i have the $$ I could get a Hi-Flow cat, Hi-Flow resonator, extractors, and a "hot dog" in the middle of the system ... but most of these (im not too sure about the hot dog) are quite expensive, and arent really worth the performance gains in an n/a skyline?

and without the optional extras most people found it to be around 500 for a custom system

did i get that right? hope i did after 14 pages of reading haha