SAU Community

EPA Noise Test

noods

hi guys,

just a question:

i was recently received a Excessive Noise Statement and did the required noise test.

so i went to Daalder Zorst in boxhill. not knowing much abt this noise test, he set up the mic etc etc and revved to 4800rpm. then said that my zorst was 10db over.

*ouch

anways, went back to the import dealer and one of the mechanics said that this particular guy at daalder was dodgey and makes a job out of these inspections.

the mechanic told me to goto a shop in st albans. i did that the following day and the tester said that 4800rpm was utter bull. this guy only tested my noise lever at 3200.

his explanation was that all cars that are imported and consequently have no engine numbers are tested at 3000 or there abouts.

any comments?

btw, i'm new to this forum

as you can see, this is in the wrong section...could an admin kindly place this in the correct section. excuse my retardedness

Just checked and that Nissan Skyline RB25DET is tested at 4800 rpm . (Page 67) GTR's are tested at 5100 rpm . so that answered your question Nood. Welcome to SAU anyway :P

Yes when i went to mcloud they tested mine to 5000rpm.

Yeah.. you always have got to be a bit cautious.. because the exhaust shop has something to sell you, but they're not always going to shark you. Plenty of jap. exhausts *are* way loud and don't meet Australian standards.

Anyhow noods, it don't really matter who you take it to and what they measure it at, as long as they're an approved EPA noise tester and can write off your notice then thats all that really matters..

josies soarer was tested at 3200RPM.

so long as they have it down on paper it was tested by a licensed tester and they passed it it doesnt matter.

I took my car to Daalder in Box Hill.. and they were great..

they also did the test at 4800rpm

Im guessing they know what they are doing.. and the exhaust shop in st albans dont know what they are talking about..

I also have had nothing but good experiences with Daalder!!

;)

hey guys, i need to go to test mine too, so which one better? st albans? box hill dallder?

i already got an aftermarket with resonator and muffler? what else "special resonator" they can add?? i'm hoping mine is around 89db though...

I had an EPA on my bike at the start of last year. Ended up taking it to "a" St Albans tester (without naming names) and it was way over before we even got half way to the testing RPM. For a small fee (including the test) all i had to do was get some stock exhaust pipe numbers from a bike shop for him to say he saw it on the bike. The stock numbers went on the certificate and i rode off with a "quiet" bike. If i get done again, "i swapped my exhaust system back after the test".

I guess he only did it because he doesn't sell motorbike exhausts. Some guys can be pretty cool.

Obviously higher than our 90db... maybe like 93 or 95

But there has been a new Jasma standard released sometime last year maybe, and best bet is to get the latest model exh from jpn that conforms to the new standard, as it will definitely be quieter than exhausts models made 3-4 yrs ago, and new models could under 90db (perhaps... ?)