SAU Community

New To Skyline Please Help

maklaw

hey guys,i need a your help to find out what going on with my fuel economy...as you guys mentioned about your cars and mods and fuel economy my car not even near to that,recently i bought R33 GTS-T S1 Auto..

i changed and last week done service including..oil change,transmission service,plugs change,O2 senson change,brake pads change..total cost me $1000.. but no diffrence in fuel economy and power as well...my car is 1994...do you think i need to have turbo back exhasut....and fmic and pod filter to gain some more power...

i am new and dont know nothing about the skyline so please please go easy on me...guys...any help

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be a matter of taking it somewhere and getting them to put a wide band air fuel meter on it, it could be a collapsed cat converter or just out of tune.

Mentioning what economy you're getting (and how you're measuring it) would be a good start too ..

(Along with driving style, how often you're in stop start, whether its long/short trips, etc .. hell, even knowing how long the car is taking to warm up is very useful information)

Mentioning what economy you're getting (and how you're measuring it) would be a good start too ..

+1. Also please no 'k's to a tank' approximations but calculate your economy properly :P

You'll probably need to go through a couple of full tanks of petrol after servicing too before you can get reliable economy figures.

I think a free flowing exhaust and cleaner intake system will help with fuel economy.

FYI: I was getting about 500k's to a full tank in my 270rwkw GT-R with a good 2nd gear burst from time to time

Wow...I am only getting like 300km to a tank with 260rwkw, and most of it is long distance driving, very little stop start. But from what I remember, I am running richer down low as my injectors are too hard to set the duty cycle for...from what my tuner says anyway.

I get maybe 300-350km till when I fill up (typically 50-52L) - I know it's terrible - and I know it's overfuelling to hell. I do mainly very short runs 10-15 minutes max. It still gets 500-600+ on the highway though ..

I suspect my thermostat is probably whacked, which isn't helping (seems to take way too long to warm up and was having overheat problems in summer). Not to hijack the thread for my own needs - but does anyone have an idea how much it would cost to get replaced - the part only seems to be maybe $50... Was figuring I'd get it done with the 100,000km service in a few months - but I think it might have to come sooner.

hmmm this is what i get.

E85 18.6l per 100km. 335rwkw.

BP98 13.2l per 100km 275 rwkw.

the way i see it is, if you want to save money on fuel a skyline is not the best car for it.

but for the OP the only real way to find out whats going on is to put it on a wideband 02 sensor and see the the cruise AFRs are.

hmmm this is what i get.

E85 18.6l per 100km. 335rwkw.

BP98 13.2l per 100km 275 rwkw.

the way i see it is, if you want to save money on fuel a skyline is not the best car for it.

but for the OP the only real way to find out whats going on is to put it on a wideband 02 sensor and see the the cruise AFRs are.

yeah i agree with you that skyline take bit more fuel then other daily cars on the roads,but still if you see above mentioned replies guys getting 400km to 500km per tank...

after reading those replies anyone who getting 300km a tank,going to ask how come my skyline not reaching that fuel economy....i love to know the reasons and day by day and thread by thread i learned heaps from you guys...

by the way what do you mean by widwband 02 sensor?...i changed mine bought from autobhan i think...what do you mean by AFR'S...AND WHERE IS SITUATED??

And i am sorry for my ignorance and i put this question on two diffrent thread,so forgive me for that,anyways what is afm by the way..lol i am reading these all threads and cant find the answer for AFM CLEANING.....

Edited by maklaw

So I bought one in a 4 door a week ago... On highway 450kms... street 350-400kms. Ive got the turbo exhaust, nice fat one. Just something for you to compare

hey mate what do you mean by nice fat one..hahahaha do you mind to share with us,where and how much you paid for the exhaust,what about the sound?

hey mate what do you mean by nice fat one..hahahaha do you mind to share with us,where and how much you paid for the exhaust,what about the sound?

It was purchased in Queensland... Where I got the car from... Its just a 3 inch'a with a tip. Sounds nice... except its to loud at even 2000 revs. Maybe its a 2.5inch pipe actually :S Didnt exactly check the specs... But its def not stock. Got a average sized tip (not huge) buts its just super loud. I have a Maxima with a 3l engine, with one muffler through the entire pipe... and doesnt sound half as loud or tough... The tip on the maxima is a big twin to! Problem being no matter what you do the car cannot be quiet... Its auto which don't help. This makes it a cop magnet.

As said previous, get a read of your average kms per tank... It took me 6 tanks to get to adelaide from Queensland, but my right foot was made of a semi precious metal at the time. Do you drive it hard?

It was purchased in Queensland... Where I got the car from... Its just a 3 inch'a with a tip. Sounds nice... except its to loud at even 2000 revs. Maybe its a 2.5inch pipe actually :S Didnt exactly check the specs... But its def not stock. Got a average sized tip (not huge) buts its just super loud. I have a Maxima with a 3l engine, with one muffler through the entire pipe... and doesnt sound half as loud or tough... The tip on the maxima is a big twin to! Problem being no matter what you do the car cannot be quiet... Its auto which don't help. This makes it a cop magnet.

As said previous, get a read of your average kms per tank... It took me 6 tanks to get to adelaide from Queensland, but my right foot was made of a semi precious metal at the time. Do you drive it hard?

no way i treat my car as my g/f so i always follow the road rules...hahahahha never drive hard.I am using vpower petrol maybe this time i will fill tank with BP ultimate,see hows it gose.

just want to know from you guys about the turbo back exhaust,front mount intercoolar,pod price's.Been to couple of places seems they asking too much money to these job.

what i read in here about the price thats totally diffrent what mechnincs asking.so if you guys give me some idea where to buy and fitted and how much its gona cost....thanx in advance

no way i treat my car as my g/f so i always follow the road rules...hahahahha never drive hard.I am using vpower petrol maybe this time i will fill tank with BP ultimate,see hows it gose.

just want to know from you guys about the turbo back exhaust,front mount intercoolar,pod price's.Been to couple of places seems they asking too much money to these job.

what i read in here about the price thats totally diffrent what mechnincs asking.so if you guys give me some idea where to buy and fitted and how much its gona cost....thanx in advance

Ive always used the same guy to fix my exhausts... I think I've done about 10 cars through him (I've taken my mates cars through many times) usually he charges me 50-150 for installation. Absolute champion of a bloke. Half the time he has had to rig up bits to put on tips for me to. He is in Aldgate. Might be able to help you out with him. Could get an exhaust for 500-1000. Id just get a second hand job :D Come down and help fix my car tomorrow with a group of us (from SAU of course) and you can see what they all sound like :) Maybe get some rad ideas

Exhaust - see Andrew @ AM Performance, good price for a decent exhaust. I paid 1.4k for mine, it's turboback and stainless steel.

installing a pod is easy as mate.....get a 3A pod filter from supercheap and a adapter to suit your car....you can find one there....take out your air box and just bolt the adapter in, slam the pod on top and presto you has a pod filter :P drive down to your exhaust place and get them to make 2 brackets to secure your pod filter.....for intercooler you can get one of the ISC (sau:sa club sponsor) and apparently people who are using them have been quite happy with them.....for exhausts it all depends on how much you wanna be paying for it....but i would suggest getting one made by AM Performance (sau:sa club sponsor) his work is perfection....and customer service is even better....a few of the boys here have been running his blast pipe system (including me) and i am happy as larry......

ps: club sponsors give sau:sa members 10% discount.....so in case of getting a 1k+ exhaust you will end up saving a bit :P

installing a pod is easy as mate.....get a 3A pod filter from supercheap and a adapter to suit your car....you can find one there....take out your air box and just bolt the adapter in, slam the pod on top and presto you has a pod filter :P

To be honest I think A pod is a bit of waste of time on the small scale of things... Wont increase performance or economy vastly. If you do go down that road... Please god, don't spend $300 on one... You get such a minor difference if any!