SAU Community

Loud Knock When Starting

R32GTS-t RB25DET

hey, my r32 makes a friggin loud couple of knocks when i start my motor when its cold or been sitting for over an hour...

its like

knock, knock knock knock every 0.5 secs.... and gets softer in 5 seconds and goes away after abt 7 secs

is it normal??? or bad and causing damage......

thanks guys :blink:

Is it a knock sound or a kind of a tick sound?

if it's a ticking, it might just be the lifters, in which case it's not really an issue.

possibly having a recording would help, as well some supporting info (how long has it done this? have you changed anything recently?)

done a few km's?, hard life etc

Sounds like big end bearing(s) (rod knock), especially before oil pressure builds up.

Rebuild down the track, or a rod may go out the side one day...

That is one possible cause......

big end??? !@#$

lol, umm the car (4wd system etc) has done 184k kms...

the motor was swapped, and im sure has only had 60k-80k kms...

ill get a recording when i get home on monday.

if its a tick its a really loud tick...

its allways had a slight tick on cold start or after its been sitting for a bit... but after its last few outings its gotten a bit louder.

i ran around the motor with a screwdriver held against my ear and either the injectors are really loud or the lifters have a big gap.

- Max

yeah the injectors are fairly noisy... all the time, this noise is only for like 7 seconds or less at startup...

waterpump sounds possible... but wouldnt it be more of a crunching instead of a knock/tick?

thanks our12 ill check that this arvo and might pull my cam covers off and check the lifter gaps and check for dirty oil

yeah, its a fairly hollow-ish knock.... like amplified injectors.... REALLY amplified... will get audio on monday

I have the same with my r32. But my engines rb20e im not sure what it is either asked a few people know one knows what it is.