SAU Community

Decide on a Turbo!!

groove32

how is a HKS T300S turbine? any good? never head of one..

In 1996 HKS were using twin T300s on their drag 180SX which ran an RB26, with these turbos the engine was rated at 860ps.

So i cant give you the exact numbers/details, but i imagine the turbo is rated about 380-400hp, and most likley an oil cooled, 360deg thrust bearing turbo.

Yeh its sure to be older then the HKS turbos based on the Garret GT range of ball bearing turbos. (IE GT2510, GT2530, GT2535 GT2540, GT2540R)

Im guessing it has a similar power rating to the HKS GT2540 (????only a guess based on the hp of RB26s used as HKS promo cars)

dude(groove32),

i already mentioned the HKS GT2540 to you.

HKS rate them at 350ps, and state a power level of 250kw (340ps) at the engine on 1bar on an RB25DET. see below

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/turbo/...c_gt/ac_gt.html

Turbo Tits,

you should refer to the link above also, as HKS officically state that the GT2535 (also on a RB25DET) makes 240kw (327ps) at the engine, so i don't think it will have the 'minerals' to make 220rwkw on an RB20DET with 1-1.2bar of boost, even if at all.

rs500 this argument has been battled by Rev210 vs many! i dont know how the rated engine figure to rwkw figure on a chasis dyno works, but the rwkw figures quoted for the RB20/25's over here running these little HKS's are correct.

its well known that a stock turbo can make ~200rwkw (roughly 280hp), yet isnt this turbo only rated to 300hp? so technically with drivetrain loss, it cant make 200rwkw, but it does. It could be the chassis dyno's readings or how they measure power. I dont know, i dont think an absolute answer was given the last time we all argued this point about turbo's rated power vs rwkw's!

2530 is killer on an RB20.

the other thing with just quoting peak figures is it doenst say anything about reponse or powerband. I have never heard of anyone speak well of the HKS2540 on GTS, ie in twin from, except if you are after a pure drag application. I have read road tests (well dyno acutally) and that said the same thing, very laggy, very narrow power band without winding the rev limit hard to the right - that was on a SR20.

On the other hand, I have never heard anyone say anything bad about 2530 - and I have been in a 2530 powered RB20, and it performs really well low and midrange with a decent top end. Lag was barely noticeable compared to the stock turbo.