SAU Community

Reverse Camera And Warranty?

Misanthrope

Just need some advice.

So I have owned my GTR for 2.5 months now and have decided that I really do need that reverse camera. Getting sick of reversing like an old lady because of what I cant see due to those fat hips on the car and poor vision. I called my dealrship to see if they can recommend me a place that does the camera on the GTR and the person on the line gave me a place immediately (as if its a very common question he gets asked!)...anyway what irks me is this. He ended the conversation by explaining to me that although doing the reverse camera won't void my warranty in itself...if they find something was wrong DUE to the reverse camera then the warranty is void. I didnt say anything but was kinda pretty shitty about that comment.

Can anyone tell me of any and all possible scenarios where this remote incident could occur? I want to still go ahead with it but I would like to know of what if any scenario would eventuate where an a problem with the car is connected with a reverse camera being installed. Don't want to give nissan even the slightest reason fo trying to void a warranty if something goes wrong.

Thanks.

Just need some advice.

So I have owned my GTR for 2.5 months now and have decided that I really do need that reverse camera. Getting sick of reversing like an old lady because of what I cant see due to those fat hips on the car and poor vision. I called my dealrship to see if they can recommend me a place that does the camera on the GTR and the person on the line gave me a place immediately (as if its a very common question he gets asked!)...anyway what irks me is this. He ended the conversation by explaining to me that although doing the reverse camera won't void my warranty in itself...if they find something was wrong DUE to the reverse camera then the warranty is void. I didnt say anything but was kinda pretty shitty about that comment.

Can anyone tell me of any and all possible scenarios where this remote incident could occur? I want to still go ahead with it but I would like to know of what if any scenario would eventuate where an a problem with the car is connected with a reverse camera being installed. Don't want to give nissan even the slightest reason fo trying to void a warranty if something goes wrong.

Thanks.

Depends on the installation and version of the car. Analog system (MY2009) and the composite to RGB intercept box between the AV system and the MFD could be blamed for sending out of range voltages to the display hence voiding display warranty or loading the output from the AV system incorrectly causing it to crap itself. You can draw a long bow with any of this stuff. Worst thing is that you're at their mercy and have to take their word for what actually went wrong. With the MY10 model I think the conversion is less intrusive so really they could only claim that the system the camera plugs into could have been comprimised only thus minimising the number of problems that they could blame your conversion on. Me? I've got a dorky mirror that doubles as a video monitor when I stick it in reverse. My intercept box goes in on May 2012.

So, can you tell me if your headlights go off when you open the door? :)

Edited by fungoolie

Depends on the installation and version of the car. Analog system (MY2009) and the composite to RGB intercept box between the AV system and the MFD could be blamed for sending out of range voltages to the display hence voiding display warranty or loading the output from the AV system incorrectly causing it to crap itself. You can draw a long bow with any of this stuff. Worst thing is that you're at their mercy and have to take their word for what actually went wrong. With the MY10 model I think the conversion is less intrusive so really they could only claim that the system the camera plugs into could have been comprimised only thus minimising the number of problems that they could blame your conversion on. Me? I've got a dorky mirror that doubles as a video monitor when I stick it in reverse. My intercept box goes in on May 2012.

So, can you tell me if your headlights go off when you open the door? :)

Mine is an ADM 2010 model purchased right off the boat in July. For $4000 front and reverse cameras (EEK) I might use this dorky mirror system. Im interested indeed. How does it work? Where do you put it? :banana:

What is this intercept box?

ps. My headlights do not go off when I open the door. They take some time to turn off. Perhaps 15-20 sec or so? Maybe more...just guessing really. I shut the door and lock it and walk away (people just think Ive left my lights on...as people are always watching me park the car...due to it being a GTR and all).

Mine is an ADM 2010 model purchased right off the boat in July. For $4000 front and reverse cameras (EEK) I might use this dorky mirror system. Im interested indeed. How does it work? Where do you put it? :)

ps. My headlights do not go off when I open the door. They take some time to turn off. Perhaps 15-20 sec or so? Maybe more...just guessing really. I shut the door and lock it and walk away (people just think Ive left my lights on...as people are always watching me park the car...due to it being a GTR and all).

The mirror is just a mirrored LCD display that hooks onto the front of your existing mirror. It has two video inputs so you can have front and rear cameras. When you engage reverse it activates and shows you an image out the rear of the car and when you press a button on the edge of the mirror it shows you a front view. When off it works just like a normal mirror. Theyre available on Ebay for around $100 including one camera and you can purchase a 2nd cam for around $30. Just search for reversing + camera + mirror. Significantly cheaper than $4000!!!! Its dorky because adding it to the front of the mirror makes it bulky as an assembly. If it was going to be a permanent fixture I would have sourced an OEM version of this mirror from one of the multitude of american cars that have this system as standard now and just adapted it to the GTR. The reason it's not permanent is because I have a 2009 GTR which has the analog MFD. Once out of warranty I will install this. http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1267 It's all explained in the thread http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1267 Essentially itsa video converter that converts camera video outputs to the video format that the MFD uses. It intercepts the signal from the AV system to the MFD and inserts the camera video when you select reverse. Your car cannot use this item and there is a thread http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ow...Jd-t320961.html that explains what you need to do to install reverse cams on your 2010 model.

Mine is an ADM 2010 model purchased right off the boat in July. For $4000 front and reverse cameras (EEK) I might use this dorky mirror system. Im interested indeed. How does it work? Where do you put it? :P

you are in MLB I take it?

that sounds like a quote I know well.

Sam,

so you got it going?

yep all good

just test fitted, need to hard install the camera in the bumper now. Crawling around in the boot it would be ALOT easier with the bumper off, so ill have to do the install while the car's at my bodyshop so they can remove the bumper for me

also, the guidance lines would need to be adjusted after fixing the camera location out back

Yes I'm from Melbourne.

Thanks fungoolie for that very helpful and informative answer.

Also thanks Sam, i will check your thread.

Until I work out which path I'll take its park really slowly for me. :rofl:

Should you require a oem like rear camera, try eBAY Item 270546658784 from "possbay car electronic store" i have one fitted and is a perfect fit looks factory. <H1 class=vi-it-itHd> </H1>