SAU Community

Power Loss? All Standard R33 Gtr

GD51LA

After some research i believe my s3 r33 gtr is making less power than it should, 162 AWKW.

Long story..Stock standard gtr, i removed the original exhaust and put a 3.5 stainless turbo back, everything was good...for a few hours. i put my foot down and i felt a hesitation in power, at that very moment i looked at the standard boost gauge, the boost was down and the engine immediately felt weaker. and still feels weaker. On a cold night the car some time gets very lazy, the boost on the standard gauge goes down and the car take ages to rev?? i have taken it to three different mechanics two of them gtr owners/tuners.

There is a small hiss coming from under the plenum, we covered the area in water but it still didn’t go away. One mechanic said that it cause that much of a power loss??

Anyway, we checked the following

Coils...Ok

Volt sensors on the exhaust..Fine

Air flow metres..Fine

Turbo... working fine

When on the dyno the boost level was fine?? (Even though my standard gauge is still down...how could my gauge fail at the same time i lost the power???)

vacuum leaks... none

Air/fuel...ok

Looked inside the cat..Ok

Compression...All 6 at 175

Removed the rubber hose and the spring is in the right place

Did a smoke test..Ok

Here i am few hundred dollars poorer, and still have the same problem??

Any input is greatly appreciated

What else should i check?

reset ECU by disconnecting battery for like 15 minutes. Also check vacuum line going to boost gauge, as if it is reading low perhaps there's a split/leak in it.

Jammed actuator(s) for turbos, or wastegate(s) stuck open. Give that a shot, as if they're open a little bit it will cause boost to build very slowly/the car will feel like a slug...what boost was it making and when did it make it?

doesnt explain the boost guage inop

Are you sure? I would have thought if the BOV's were being pushed open then all the boost would be blowing straight out.. Thus the Bov not reading properly as the air is not reaching the plenum.

id be replacing all the standard vac/boost lines with silicone ones. they're old and brittle

ur symptoms point towards that too - hissing noise, loss of power & incorrect boost pressure reading

i had a similar prob with mine, when i installed my boost gauge a few days later it started doing the same things, obviously when i installed the T piece, the standard hose was brittle and split

I know you said hissing was comming from plenum, however i had exact symptoms and slight hissing sound, it was the turbo to front pipe gasket had blown a chunk out. try finding the hiss with a silicon pipe/tube in your ear. worked for me.

what about lazy coilpacks? when its cold it pops & missfires

there is 10 to 20kw missing, i paid allot for this car, this is realy giving me the sh ts

what else could it be??

here is the plug, they reckon its about right

post-32630-1285672376_thumb.jpg

Instead of using water to trace the "hiss" trying using aerostart or similar.

If you have a vac leak (thinking gaskets?) your revs will rise at idle if you hit the spot with the spray. ie more fuel.

Gasket leak will also bleed boost at higher rpm.

Might be worth a try.

Cheers