SAU Community

Motec M800 Vs Vipec V88 - Real Info Needed

Hey Guys,

I need some help here with my ECU choice.

I have a Motec M800 + Motec CDI that I am running in one of my race cars. Great ECU, very happy with the tune and control - NOT HAPPY about paying for bullshit extras that should be included (launch control, anti lag, logging etc). I have the basic setup and logging enabled and advanced functions is around $500 on top, which I will buy for anti lag and launch control when the car is finished after the new turbo install.

I can spend cash and and get a new loom made up for the daily drive and just have the motec plug in and plug out whenever I need to get the race car sorted. I can only drive one car at a time so this is fine, however I was thinking that a VIPEC V88 would be a good upgrade for the daily, cost around $2500 or so trade with sensors etc and I get all the goodies factory (anti lag launch control etc).

Just how good is the V88? Is it as good as or better than the motec? The software looks easy to follow and there are heaps of options enabled as well as factory additions that increase the functionality. I would like to try something new like the VIPEC in the future anyway and my conversion/switching costs is around $1000 for a new Motec flying loom + CDI Loom + 3bar map sensor and a few other basic sensors to make it plug and play. So for around $1500 after switching costs, I get a new ECU and a new toy to play with, with all the features that would cost THOUSANDS to enable on a motec.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have considered Autronic, but it is too archaic for my liking and the software sucks.

The newer haltech platinum did cross my mind as well. Software looks fancy, however not sure on the tune/functionality - anyone got feedback on the newer haltech?

i removed my m600 and cdi and now run a vipec v88 and m&w cdi in the godzilla drag gtr ...runs the engine the same..

if it was not up to the job i would not run it on my 30grand engine..

hope this helps. mark godzilla motorsport..

Hey Guys,

I need some help here with my ECU choice.

I have a Motec M800 + Motec CDI that I am running in one of my race cars. Great ECU, very happy with the tune and control - NOT HAPPY about paying for bullshit extras that should be included (launch control, anti lag, logging etc). I have the basic setup and logging enabled and advanced functions is around $500 on top, which I will buy for anti lag and launch control when the car is finished after the new turbo install.

I can spend cash and and get a new loom made up for the daily drive and just have the motec plug in and plug out whenever I need to get the race car sorted. I can only drive one car at a time so this is fine, however I was thinking that a VIPEC V88 would be a good upgrade for the daily, cost around $2500 or so trade with sensors etc and I get all the goodies factory (anti lag launch control etc).

Just how good is the V88? Is it as good as or better than the motec? The software looks easy to follow and there are heaps of options enabled as well as factory additions that increase the functionality. I would like to try something new like the VIPEC in the future anyway and my conversion/switching costs is around $1000 for a new Motec flying loom + CDI Loom + 3bar map sensor and a few other basic sensors to make it plug and play. So for around $1500 after switching costs, I get a new ECU and a new toy to play with, with all the features that would cost THOUSANDS to enable on a motec.

What are your thoughts?

JJJ: engine is a 1.5JZ, PFC for a 1JZ is around 1500 or so - not worth it for such a limited ECU that is limited to a hand controller. FC datalogit software will bring it up close to the cost of a V88. Looking at making around 350rwkw with a T04Z and HKS 264/272 cams and I'll borrow the 800cc injectors while I upgrade the fuel system on the race car for E85.

Walk510: Yes the factory motec datalogging software is great, but if you want to overlay graphs etc - you need pro, more $$$.

Sounds like the V88 is a winner for a race/daily setup. I love the Motec, but it does come at a high premium with marginal added value compared to today's ECUs tune and standard features. Fantastic back in 2001, but its 2010 now and there has been a lot of inroads into ECU tech to try and beat Motec at their own game.

Motec themselves are working on ECU's to tune direct injection and so forth - the next generation of engines.

Currently waiting for quotes on a flying loom and so forth to see how much it would cost to re-wire the CDI and Motec instead of getting a new ECU, however I believe that this exercise could cos as much as a v88 in itself given today's prices.

On another note - what is the v88 knock sensor option like? How does it compare to the Gizmo k-mon?

You already have the motec and it is $500 for the extras but a Vipec is worse and costs $2500? Why on earth would you pay more for less? Am I missing something here?

A Motec is 1000x better and easier to tune properly than any other ECU on the market, and if it is going to cost less for the extras then I don't see why you would downgrade to something else. Personally if you already have made the outlay and paid for installation and tuning I would not change.

If you were considering both from scratch then I would cost up both options and consider the Vipec. How many of the extra features would you need? Do you really need launch control etc?

Edited by Rolls

You already have the motec and it is $500 for the extras but a Vipec is worse and costs $2500? Why on earth would you pay more for less? Am I missing something here?

Lol... Yes, a lot.

The fancy logging with the Motec is impressive and the reason why a lot of people still use them. The Vipec will get there but it is still a new product and is continuing development.

Lol... Yes, a lot.

The fancy logging with the Motec is impressive and the reason why a lot of people still use them. The Vipec will get there but it is still a new product and is continuing development.

I realise the vipec is a great ECU but the motec is still better if he already owns it then I am confused why spending more to get less is being considered?

I realise the vipec is a great ECU but the motec is still better if he already owns it then I am confused why spending more to get less is being considered?

How is the Motec better? Better at what? Vipec has a faster processor and is more accurate, operates at greater temperature extremes... do some reading or at least drive a car tuned with an M800 and one with a V88.

He could sell the M800 with everything and get a V88 with all motorsport options, installed and tuned for the price he sold it for.

A Motec has far superior tuning software, Ive used a few and nothing even comes close. If he does sell the motec will he get many extra features that will be used? If not I would stick with the motec purely due to how much easier they are to tune.

Edited by Rolls

That is surprising, not in my experience. But each to their own.

To the OP Vipec V88 uses the standard knock sensors, works fine.

Yeah I've changed my tune after a bit of reading, by the time you buy the wideband support, knock sensor support blah blah it certainly is going to be prohibitive to buy. I think the Vipec would be better bet even if it isn't as easy to tune, but I guess that comes down to the tuner anyway.

How is the Motec better? Better at what? Vipec has a faster processor and is more accurate, operates at greater temperature extremes... do some reading or at least drive a car tuned with an M800 and one with a V88.

He could sell the M800 with everything and get a V88 with all motorsport options, installed and tuned for the price he sold it for.

ummm were is dirtgarage when you need him for some good old motec bashing ??? bigmikespec has you idol gone away ? someone has too keep up the fight and it may as well be you now ?

what ecu does swiper the fox's car have now ??? not the inferior one does it ?

even mark is his gtr still run's an motec adl3 and motec e888 to measure the greater temperature extremes you talk about

how many real top level motorsport cars run motec I mean REAL race cars i.e dakar,rally raid,alms then to the national stuff like aus safari,finke,arc,super taxi's

class 1 offshore power boats and the list goes on and on

don't these class's operate in the most rugged extremes of the environment has to offer BUT the vipec is still better

but vipec make you car idle so much better like when does that really matter racing is Wide Open Throttle where it's meant to matter

ummm were is dirtgarage when you need him for some good old motec bashing ??? bigmikespec has you idol gone away ? someone has too keep up the fight and it may as well be you now ?

even mark is his gtr still run's an motec adl3 and motec e888 to measure the greater temperature extremes you talk about

how many real top level motorsport cars run motec I mean REAL race cars i.e dakar,rally raid,alms then to the national stuff like aus safari,finke,arc,super taxi's

don't these class's operate in the most rugged extremes of the environment has to offer BUT the vipec is still better

but vipec make you car idle so much better like when does that really matter racing is Wide Open Throttle where it's meant to matter

Lol... did I say it was inferior? I am not bashing it either, read what I said.

I spoke to Paul "re" Motec and the reason he changed back was for the logging, that being said, the logging is great better than the Vipec at this stage.

I was in a position to buy either, I went in cars with both, my tuner sold both... I chose Vipec

Don't be so naive :blink: motorsport has more to do with sponsorship and marketing than what products perform better.

PS: my comment was regard to operating temperature of the unit itself not measuring

PSS: I would run an ADL3 with my Vipec it is an awesome unit, it is compatable with the V88

Am I the only one that had trouble reading this?

Try to use some decent grammar mate, your post sounds like it was typed by someone with ADD.

Lol... did I say it was inferior? I am not bashing it either, read what I said.

I spoke to Paul "re" Motec and the reason he changed back was for the logging, that being said, the logging is great better than the Vipec at this stage.

I was in a position to buy either, I went in cars with both, my tuner sold both... I chose Vipec

Don't be so naive :rofl: motorsport has more to do with sponsorship and marketing than what products perform better.

PS: my comment was regard to operating temperature of the unit itself not measuring

PSS: I would run an ADL3 with my Vipec it is an awesome unit, it is compatable with the V88

wasn't there real reason Paul went to motec ???? it can't just be about logging

I'm happy you chose vipec congratulations !!

I'm not naive i just cant stand the crap that some people carry on about

Motec don't sponsor anybody EVERYONE has to pay for it vipec on the other hand i dont know

P.S whats your story about operating temperature of the unit ???

PSS how is the vipec more accurate ?????