SAU Community

New Engine Time :'(

HELLSCREAM R32 GTR

Hi all,

Recently moved to Penrith & all of a sudden im getting the about to spin a big end bearing tapping noise... So wats my options? Im on a fairly limited budget & not really looking for big horsepower. Ive already got N1 turbos, power FC and injectors on the dying engine i can use (just did the timing belt too...) I would be happy with a low km second hand Rb26 but for 4-5grand would i be better off rebuilding mine?? Please help, any advise is much appreciated! Oh btw its a 93 R32 GTR.

Cheers

Nick

Hi all,

Recently moved to Penrith & all of a sudden im getting the about to spin a big end bearing tapping noise... So wats my options? Im on a fairly limited budget & not really looking for big horsepower. Ive already got N1 turbos, power FC and injectors on the dying engine i can use (just did the timing belt too...) I would be happy with a low km second hand Rb26 but for 4-5grand would i be better off rebuilding mine?? Please help, any advise is much appreciated! Oh btw its a 93 R32 GTR.

Cheers

Nick

Just put some new bearings and rings in the bottom end and have everything cleaned up and that should last u for quiet a while. I wouldnt bother changing the rods and pistons if you are on a limited budget as i there would be no point if you are happy with the way it is now.

clean block, measure bores and crank, light hone or rebore if needed, grind/ linish crank if needed, minimum parts rings & bearings, maybe new pistons as well

check between water jackets and head bolt holes on blocks as the rb motors like to crack there alot

vacuum test, preussure test, change valve stem seals grind head probably then the rest would be labour

a 2nd hand motor you may not have or get told the history and it may not be far from ending up in the same condition its cheaper but its a gamble

ok before you do all this exxy stuff ... since I have lifter noise (tapping) for a min or 2 during cold starts, I've read a lot about possible causes and similar noises and one of them was to do with timing belt not being on tight enough. Since you mentioned that you just changed the timing belt maybe check this out .. could be something as simple as that.

Also check the exhaust manfold studs/gasket - apparently if the gasket is leaking or any of the studs have snapped (common) you will hear a tapping noise until engine warms up.

Then again, maybe it's what you said and I'm just full of it ... but worth a look anyway as you said you're on a budget.

Hi all,

Cheers

Nick

Could always buy my motor. Need it gone as its taking garage space....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...=STRK:MESELX:IT

Just a thought if your interested PM me

do a standard rebuild. you never know what you're buying when you get a 2nd hand motor. it should cost you around the 4k mark to do a standard rebuild at a workshop. at the same time you can put in the required restrictors for the oil supply to the head.

make sure the following things are done at least:

- rods, pistons and crank are balanced (approx 160-180)

- head serviced (~500) and machined (~60)

- metal head gasket (~400-500)

- oil feed restrictors to the head ($30 + fitting.. they just press in so it shouldnt be a drama)

- tensioner and idler studs replaced. (cheap)

- water pump (~80)

- front (crank) and rear main seals replaced. (cheap)

- as you've got a 93 r32 GTR (as in your profile thingo) you will have a R33 crank so you wont need to get the crank collar done, but its always worth checking just in case the motor has been replaced by an older one at some stage. if you do need to get it done it will be around $300 supplied and fitted.

Above all, get opinions on the workshop you decide to take it to. i wish i did.

Standard rebuild on the bottom end only if it really needs it(rings-bearings), If you buy a second hand motor it may not last that long, I mean how many RB,s are not thrashed, might cost a little more but for the peice of mind I would go with a rebuild.

Your pistons-rods and other bolt-ons should be fine, did the water pump get replaced with the timing belt?

Are you sure its the bottom end ??????