SAU Community

Rebuild Or Halfcut?

chef_stagea

hi all

as we know my engines not in good shape atm

took it to my engine dude today and got a quote of what im looking at to keep this on the road...

the boar in cyl 2 is shagged. and is unable to be honed out, the only option to keep this block is to boar it right out removing 2.5mm of wall all the way around (180 or 108 thou i think he said...) and drop a sleave down and boar that out to the stock sizing....

lewis engines are a very very well known import and mainly RB engine builder, and he said that this is a very common practice.

i didnt like the sound of it too much at 1st, due to thinning out the side walls so so much, different things in cyls, different metals contract and expand at different rates etc etc etc...

just wanted to know what you guys think of this way around things.

i can pick up a motor in WA complete for $2500 plus postage (~$300)

i might b able to get about 1000 for bits and peices i dont need off it, thats ofcourse only if there buyers out there

or do the following to my engine

Fit Sleeve 180

sleeve 120

hone boares 180

Deck 150

2nd hand piston 25

rings (genuine) 500

linish crank 65

labour 1100

acl barings 190

seals 180 (main seal, oil seal and 1 other i think he said)

total 2690

this would get the block back in my hands ready to drop in an effectively at 0kms again, witch i do REALLY like the sound of! it will take 3 weeks to do,

do we think the rebuild is the best option seeing as i have put new just about everything in the car, and will keep it for years to come!

the heads already done, full freshen and port and polished, so that also is as good as new,

thanx people!

Edited by chef_stagea

just by RBD2's wreck and sell all the other bits off.

if you're gonna go the recon route do it properly, new everthing - no second hand pistons or other money saving shortcuts.

And if you are getting Lewis to build the bottom end for, get em to throw the head and timing belt on for ya while you're there. lol

Edited by Big Fella

If your engine builder has measured all your bores and pistons and is convinced the other 5 have a good amount of life still you may as well go with the quote. If you were ever thinking of going RB30 now is the time but it would involve quite a bit more money to be honest. Your block rebuilt with quality rings and bearings should be ok for the 260 more or less? kw you were looking at some time ago.

err, we're looking at a 10k engine package vs a rebuild vs a drop in.......

depends how much longer you want to keep the car. if you think you'll change it over in another 12 months i'd just throw a cheap replacement motor in.

if you're planning on keeping it longer, rebuild it - but do it right. while you're in there, its probably not going to be much more of a stretch to bulletproof it. the other advantage is that you keep all the numbers on the car lining up (engine number to chassis number), which protects resale value.

if you just like throwing money at stuff, then buy the motor that status tunning has for sale. EVIL!

jdmspares is an ebay business, based in adelaide

the bloke is very nice, might do a cash deal for you, or buy back the head/turbo/loom that you wont need

he currently has 2 r34 rb25 Neo engines for sale at the moment, both for $2490 pickup @ lonsdale

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nissan-Skyline-R34-...=item5888e38466

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nissan-Skyline-R34-...=item588926f607

motors are complete with turbo, loom, everything bar ecu.

probably a better buy than the engine from WA seeing its local support, warranty, and could nut out a deal MINUS loom, turbo, and head possibly

buy engine for 2500 (after jdmspares gives you the engine compression report), sell loom $200, sell turbo $500, sell head $500 = engine cost approx $1300 or thereabouts. fit 100,000km service kit = fresh engine.

most cost effective way Id say.....

I wouldnt use secondhand pistons in the rebuild. for the cost of new rings might as well get cp pistons or wiseco to make up a Neo piston/ring set.... but I suppose that just costs more moolah.

depends on your budget.

depends if you want a 0km engine.

and depends o how quick you want this to happen (ie rebuild timeframe vs buy engine local & drop in)

all the best

just by RBD2's wreck and sell all the other bits off.

if you're gonna go the recon route do it properly, new everthing - no second hand pistons or other money saving shortcuts.

And if you are getting Lewis to build the bottom end for, get em to throw the head and timing belt on for ya while you're there. lol

Hi Robbie i,m currently living in Aldinga Beach Rd., whilst working down here. I currently have a m35 and have had a 97 RS4, if you fancy a meet and natter reply on this post and we,ll arrange a meet. Sorry to hijack this post

jdmspares is an ebay business, based in adelaide

the bloke is very nice, might do a cash deal for you, or buy back the head/turbo/loom that you wont need

he currently has 2 r34 rb25 Neo engines for sale at the moment, both for $2490 pickup @ lonsdale

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nissan-Skyline-R34-...=item5888e38466

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nissan-Skyline-R34-...=item588926f607

motors are complete with turbo, loom, everything bar ecu.

probably a better buy than the engine from WA seeing its local support, warranty, and could nut out a deal MINUS loom, turbo, and head possibly

buy engine for 2500 (after jdmspares gives you the engine compression report), sell loom $200, sell turbo $500, sell head $500 = engine cost approx $1300 or thereabouts. fit 100,000km service kit = fresh engine.

most cost effective way Id say.....

I wouldnt use secondhand pistons in the rebuild. for the cost of new rings might as well get cp pistons or wiseco to make up a Neo piston/ring set.... but I suppose that just costs more moolah.

depends on your budget.

depends if you want a 0km engine.

and depends o how quick you want this to happen (ie rebuild timeframe vs buy engine local & drop in)

all the best

doesn't it have to be an AWD block? either way i would be looking for a new block, screw the sleeving for 1 cylinder, all or nothing.

Edited by horrace