SAU Community

Lap Timing Equipment

Neither do i . I'm using a starlane digi race stealth - something or other . it's funny when you get things like attatched pic:

That's just telling you you can backoff the pace a little bit and still win the race... :P

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use the LT-6000 and really like it. Works as advertised and the data logging is quite good.

Down sides: is only accurate to about +/- 0.2, but honestly not like us club racers are trying to qualify for F1.

Also, the software and interface aren't the easiest to use.

But for $400 and gives you real time lap times in the car plus green/red projected times on your lap your doing, it is a great tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Most phones don't have high speed GPS sensors. So to get more acurate you should have a dedicated GPS device capturing at 10 hertz. But phone apps are ok as long as you aren't looking for too much accuracy.

V Box and similar can incorporate video as well as having a whole lot of useful driving and data analysis features. Performance Box is cheaper, not sure what it's features are but it is too big to mount on the steering wheel like the LT-6000 will.

How do users find units like the LT-6000 with a built in GPS in a tin top car? No problem with GPS signal interference requiring a remote mounted sensor?

I mount it on the front window that is what the recommend. Occasionally you'll get a signal wander that causes the location to move about 10m but timing still works fine.

I don't think you'd want it on the steering wheel as that would take your line of sight too far away from the track.

The Dashware software is pre-configured to detect the data file that is made by the Qstarz so you simply import the file into Dashware then drag whatever gauges you want onto your video screen and it works.

Awesome! Is it fussy about what type of video files?

Also, how bright is the screen in the car when it brings up split times etc.? I took my brother's car out to Wakefield yesterday which had an Aim dash, and in the sunlight I couldn't see a thing!

The Dashware software is pre-configured to detect the data file that is made by the Qstarz so you simply import the file into Dashware then drag whatever gauges you want onto your video screen and it works.

Also, how does it work out where you are on the track when you add the video file? Have you found it to be accurate?

Just can't work out how the video and data logging lines up accurately without any data from the video file.