SAU Community

R34 Running Unleaded 95 No Go?

mynameisalan

okay first of all hi :)

two weeks ago i purchased a skyline, was sweet. still sweet

its a r34 25gt

yesterday i put unleaded 95 in it. . and today when i drove it there was a lot missfires. . D:

i dont know if its the fuel or rather the car is being dodgy

Edited by mynameisalan

drive very conservatively until you can use 98. If you have E85 around, squeeze some of that into the tank and dilute the 95. Around 10-15 litres will help, octane booster will also work if you get one that actually works.

on a NA 95 octane should be fine. any misfires on 95 won't be from the octane rating. might be from the quality of fuel, but not the octane. you could also try backing the timing off a bit if you are worried.

japan's octane ratings are the same as ours, they just happen to have one that is even higher, but they still have 91 and 95 octane fuels over there from what i gather.

• 7 months later...

Geeze u guys do like if 95 is kerosene or some shit....

Where i'm from 95 premium is our best brew and we run all skylines on that with no probs...just keeping the boost down on hot days

i run e10 95 in the stagea and keep the boost to 5psi most the time and it runs fine

even on 7 psi its ok, down a bit of power compared to 98 but its fine

• 2 weeks later...

japan's octane ratings are the same as ours, they just happen to have one that is even higher, but they still have 91 and 95 octane fuels over there from what i gather.

Yes, but the average altitude of Japan is about 1000m, whereas our average altitude is about 400m.

I believe the "knock" map on the standard ECU is designed for 95 octane.

Yes, but the average altitude of Japan is about 1000m, whereas our average altitude is about 400m.

What's the relevance of that on a MAFed engine?

i forgot to tell you guys that my spark plugs was the cause haha. running on 5 cylinders was fun.. NOT

95 is fine stuff but i still run 98 nowadays

Not trying to be rude, but a car down a cylinder sounds a lot worse than the odd backfire... How did you not notice?

• 3 weeks later...