SAU Community

Purchasing Diff Oil Castrol Saf-xj 75w-140

fungoolie

I'm one of the owners who is getting my car maintained by a non NHPC garage but am using genuine fluids in order to maintain my warranty. It's time to do my diffs and I can either buy the factory specified SAF-XJ 75W-140 for $60 for 500 ml from the local BMW/AMG dealership or else purchase 20 litres for $567 from Supercheap Auto. They don't sell it in smaller quantities. Trouble is 20 litres will last me around 270,000 kms based on the standard service intervals of 30K and 2.2 litres for both diffs so if anyone local wants 10 of my 20 litres I'll be happy to sell it on to you at what I paid for it.

Just out of interest, Nulon specify their 80W140 gear fluid for the GTR and appear to be happy to provide a warranty in case Nissan fails to honour the warranty as a result of them blaming the Nulon for the failure. Interestingly the Nulon says it's a 100% synthetic but I have been told that it's really a highly refined mineral oil. I'm no chemist so don't quite understand the ins and outs of how they can claim that its synthetic when it isn't. Either way I'd rather just go for the recommended stuff than stuff around with that whole blame game process if something was to go wrong with the diffs.

Edited by fungoolie

nulon have a habit of claiming their fluids are full synth when they're just a GrpIII oil - their argument would be that it's "close enough" to a full synth.

i'd stay clear of Nulon, especially for a R35

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

motul factory fill diff oils in japan for the r35 GTR greatly increase's lsd performance

read more

http://www.nismo.co....eup/75w140.html

Motul manufacture Nismo oil and all the rnd is done through the gt500 Nismo\Motul GTR

order only through most good performance workshops around Australia

Yes but at the expense of this:

" When using this oil, LSD efficiency will be greatly increased (with especially good high-speed performance), but there will also be greater wear on the LSD's internal clutch plates. Please be aware of this before purchase."

and this:

• This oil was developed for high-intensity competition driving. Please note the following two points before using this oil:
  • 1. Except in the case of the Nissan GT-R (R35), this product is not covered by Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. warrantees.
  • 2. When this oil is used, it should be changed every 3,000 kilometers.

So pretty much track use only? And has Nissan confirmed these warranty claims?

Edited by fungoolie