SAU Community

First Car For P Plater

Jonno34

Hey everyone,

about to get my P plates soon, and just looking to get something small, cheap, reliable and easy to run :laugh:

Looking at a Toyota Corolla, looking in the quokka for about 1000 bucks i can get a very early 90s corolla seca ... But kinda worried about buying a car for this price

Has anyone owned one of these cars before?

If you have did you find alot of troubles with maintaining the car and breakdowns etc?

Also does anybody know any other very cheap/reliable cars?

(sorry for the low budget guys i know its not much to work with)

thanks everybody

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

syfon are the 80s corollas very reliable?

Its not really a big deal if its RWD or FWD or AWD, performance etc isnt a big thing for me

Do you guys recommend buying from a dealership or somewhere like the quokka? (ive found alot of the quokka cars are unlicensed.... would cost about another 100-200 for registration?)

also ten four, where are you looking around for your car?

carsales.com doesnt have many under 1000 :P

I was thinking of going to Uni's and checking out their boards haha, should be alot of kids selling their cars cheap :)

Edited by Jonno34

Quokka, gumtree and ebay. (DO NOT TOUCH RED EBAY ONE, MINE!! :P )

Im looking for the early 90s ones cause I need ac and ps. Basically, if its not blowing smoke, doesn't piss oil everywhere and ac is cold, then I'm good to go.... (Just a bunky afterall..)

Also, wouldn't touch unlicensed... so many pitfalls -pun intended- when trying to get it rego'd.

Edited by Ten Four

hahahah yeah a/c would be nice to have, I have a horrible heat tolerance :P

hahah dw ten four reds not really my colour anyway :) which corolla you looking at? im thinking of a 90s seca

thanks guys, will not get a unrego'd car in that case

anyway back onto topic .. does anybody think i'm likely to have alot of difficulties with running a car like this?

*also does anybody know any other cars to look at?

Edited by Jonno34

anyway back onto topic .. does anybody think i'm likely to have alot of difficulties with running a car like this?

It's a bit hard to say if it's going to be reliable, just judge for yourself by condition of the car and listen for any noises etc.

Anyway I think replacement parts for those sorts of cars are very low.

Edited by Dani Boi

Just try and service it regularly after buying it and should be ok. If you want, you can take up RAC road side assist service just in case. That's what I did with my another car which I use everyday.

Toyota Corolla, Honda civic and Mitsubishi Lancer/Mirage are all pretty reliable cars.

Edited by Victor.T

Stick with something that comes with roadworthy for sure. Can potentially save sooo many headaches getting it on the road.

Nothing wrong with the selection of car. Just incase though it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out by your preferred mechanic to get his/her assessment to look for any issues.

Luke

syfon are the 80s corollas very reliable?

Its not really a big deal if its RWD or FWD or AWD, performance etc isnt a big thing for me

Do you guys recommend buying from a dealership or somewhere like the quokka? (ive found alot of the quokka cars are unlicensed.... would cost about another 100-200 for registration?)

also ten four, where are you looking around for your car?

carsales.com doesnt have many under 1000 :D

I was thinking of going to Uni's and checking out their boards haha, should be alot of kids selling their cars cheap :bunny:

Hey mate, my cousin used to have a poo brown '82 (something like that) corolla sedan. Was extremeley reliable over a period of 5years. The only thing he ever did was replace the radiator....it even had a/c! Just saying, those old rwd corolla's are fun in the wet :thumbsup: hehe

Don't buy from a stealership, if you do i'll falcon punch you. Make sure if you are buying from the quokka or something, spend the few extra $$$ and buy one that is registered.....it can be a problem taking bunkies over the pits....they get picked to shit sometimes.

At ECU Mt Lawley, the notice boards there are covered with cheap cars for sale, worth checking out!

hey man

Corolla's are sick, ive owned two. One was just your standard model and the other was a csx with the 4age motor..They both were great cars and went hard without any problems.

i was doing a bit of hunting before also for a small car. also keep an eye out on gumtree as stated above. I found a few that were in good nick but out of the perth CBD area so if you don’t mind driving a bit then you can sometimes find a good bargain.

here are two i saw on gumtree:

http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicle...QAdIdZ233202834

That one does have alot of kms on it but if your keen you can always go test drive it and hear the engine running.

http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicle...QAdIdZ223239669

That ones done less km's but they are asking 1.5k, however does say its urgent so you might be able to get the price down a bit.

I don’t know if you have your mind set on only corolla's but ive also heard the nissan N13 pulsars seemed to be great cars that were built hard and kept going on forever.

good luck with it man, niran