SAU Community

Nsw Police And Radar/lidar

jawrgy

Blehh i just feel i have become more of an unsafe driver when i check my speedo every 10-15 seconds to make sure im not over the limit and check every mirror and my surroundings for cops when i go to overtake. If i wasnt so paranoid about cops being hard cord on 10-20 over the limit i would have my eyes 100% on the road and would in my mind pose less of a risk as i would not need to glance at my speedo and mirrors every other second and take my eyes off the road.

Eh, I was taught to check my speedo every 10 seconds, and scan all mirrors in that time.

You should always be scanning mirrors not just when you go to overtake, that way you know what you can/can't do in an emergency situation.

It only takes 0.5 seconds to check your speedo, and around the same time to quickly glance at each mirror, it's not like you stare at it, grab a text book out, do some calculations and work your speed out 3 minutes later...

Eh, I was taught to check my speedo every 10 seconds, and scan all mirrors in that time.

You should always be scanning mirrors not just when you go to overtake, that way you know what you can/can't do in an emergency situation.

It only takes 0.5 seconds to check your speedo, and around the same time to quickly glance at each mirror, it's not like you stare at it, grab a text book out, do some calculations and work your speed out 3 minutes later...

U know you are quite the smart ass.... Always talking shit

As Superwog would say "WAT A HEAD"!!!

The rta sets them below the safe speed because Australians have a mentality of "ten to twenty kays over is okay, I'm not a murderer"

so the rta does a calculation of actual safe speed, minus the amount people will speed by (10 to 20) and then you have the speed limit.

As for that Kiana section, I used to go down that road once every 2 weeks when it was a hundred zone, I passed a speed trap everytime, each time I go through there now ( a bit less often now) Ive seen a copper once... But yes, that zone change for those abiding by the limit is ridiculous, but as above people were actually doing 110 to 120 through there. Now they do 100...

As for them hiding, it's to put in your mind they may be everywhere, keep to the limit all the time, unfortunately, this isn't working as people struggle to think of the consequences, hence why they now have signs up "speedin will cost you X"

they wouldn't have to do any of this, if people would learn to stick to the limits, and don't drive like a tard... Unfortunately Aussies love to speed and/or crash.

Oh, and I never used to be an angel on the road, but after being done twice and let off for another, I now stick strictly to the limit... I learnt my lesson the second easiest way.

i think they set them for the dumbest driver driving the hardest vehicle to drive ie a petrol tanked semi with a fluid load,to keep it at a controllable speed, just in case

i belive they use both, lidars are hand held and radars are car mounted, it is simple don't speed don't get caught pay the money and go where you car push your car cause a track day or even the wednesday night drags are good fun and far cheaper then killing someone cause your a tight arse

This dont speed dont get caught mentallity sucks. Yes do 30km+ ull get bent over by the cops, my issue is when they start doing fines for people who fo 68 in a 60 zone. Hopefully if you guys read in the paper today the RTA wants to re do the demerit point system.

This dont speed dont get caught mentallity sucks. Yes do 30km+ ull get bent over by the cops, my issue is when they start doing fines for people who fo 68 in a 60 zone. Hopefully if you guys read in the paper today the RTA wants to re do the demerit point system.

So... where do you draw the line in the sand? 10km/h over the speed limit is ok?

Lets just say that the RTA decide to go "lol, you're right, no one should get booked for only doing 10km/h over the speed limit! What we will do is increase all speed zones so everyone can live in a speeding fine free utopia! :D"... will it still be OK to do the extra 10km/h over the changed speed limit?

The RTA drew the line in the sand, whether or not that line is well justified it is still a line that if you cross there may be consequences. Maybe you won't get caught. Maybe you will and get a fine and lose some points. Maybe you will lose your licence. Maybe you won't get caught but will damage your car. Maybe you will injure yourself. Maybe you will injure someone else.

You'll find most HWY patrols wont pull you over for being only 10k's over the limit, not when your on a 110k HWY anyway. They can book you for it, but it is rarely exercised on HWY's, usually its only on suburban streets you'll get booked for that speeding bracket.

So... where do you draw the line in the sand? 10km/h over the speed limit is ok?

Lets just say that the RTA decide to go "lol, you're right, no one should get booked for only doing 10km/h over the speed limit! What we will do is increase all speed zones so everyone can live in a speeding fine free utopia! :banana: "... will it still be OK to do the extra 10km/h over the changed speed limit?

The RTA drew the line in the sand, whether or not that line is well justified it is still a line that if you cross there may be consequences. Maybe you won't get caught. Maybe you will and get a fine and lose some points. Maybe you will lose your licence. Maybe you won't get caught but will damage your car. Maybe you will injure yourself. Maybe you will injure someone else.

I believe the usual used to be 10% plus 3kph. So in a 60 zone you rarely got booked for less than 10 k's over the limit, that is usually 70 and above, although it was possible.

Also I spoke to our local officer a few weeks ago and he told me when he was on radar duty he used to allow a minimum of 10k's over. It's a bit tighter these days. Even he got done recently be a red light camera for around 67 in a 60 zone

When I drive in built up areas I try to stick to the limit, and that 10kph above the limit would give me a better buffer for when I drift over. Also a lot of our roads are way undersigned and also inconsistently signed, so yes some speed limits could go up without being more dangerous. The big thing these days is - Slower Is Safer - No Argument.

The problem is there's so many idiot drivers out there that just don't look and think they own the road. They WILL cause an accident one day, and I'd rather (for everyone's sake) that it happens at 50kmh than 60-65kmh.

And I think fixed cameras are a bit more picky than an officer, cause the officer can use his discretion in different weather conditions :D