SAU Community

89 model import

DAN00H

I have done all the work my self appart from the inturstion bars as it requires some skill full welding. there isnt much to be done to GTRs only really 4 major things, intrustion bars/ stop light/ child restraints/and the engineer cert

every thing else is just normal RTA stuff.. I am only waiting on Skyline Performance to weld the bars for me, they are pretty busy...

I am pretty sure that you don't require an Engineers certificate to register the car. I have spoken to the motor registry and they indicated that to register car all that was necessary is a regular car registration inspection.

I would imagine that they would check then for side intrusion bars, stop lights and child restrainsts?

Sorry but that is incorrect... to check for side intrusion bars you would haver to remove the door skins and the RTA will NOT do this during an inspection they will turna round and say " can I have the engineer cert pls?" or something to those means.. you require a cert and the compliance spec as to the 15Yr rule standards. Guys as much as this sux you best off just doing it. Call John Wilson from AKZ Engineering he is the most help full and cheepest I found, Give him a call and say I refured you. I will post his contact number shortly...

Jap Manufacturer's started installing side intrustion bars in LATE 89' as the standard changed in 1990, most all cars you import from 1990 on WILL have them fitted as standard. but pre 1990 ie 89' only limmited few had them, mine - did not- it sux and is likely to cost $450 installed if I remove and strip the doors, which I have already done. There is nothing more tomrnting than having to pull appart you brand new baby. BUT the sooner it is done the sooner it will be registered and I can drive it (with out being dodgy :rofl: ).

John Wilson did my car. He is a top bloke and will give ya a discount if u mention how poor you are. (He takes pity on young blokes with awesome cars trying to get over rego) Is getting a GTR himself (He also owns two 20B cosmo's. He's the best engineer around and does a top job. Also he is one of the only other members of the public to have a set of keys to the old drag strip!

have a new job - so delayed rego on the R. will let you all know as soon as it goes over the pits and give a fiinal word on what needs doing :P (Guess i'll be the experimental animal!)

Good luck buddy hope all goes well!!! :D

note: waiting to say it.......:shake:

Godzillr - what did he have to do to it? did it have a cat for the exhaust (factory system?) did it have child restraints in the back? When i spoke to them all they said was i needed 2 x 200mmx200mm plates (with a both through the centre) and the cat. if it passed a normal roadworthy, it would then be regoed. no engineers cert required.