SAU Community

Cam Gears

jimmy 32

Ok so I have an r32 gtr with 2860 turbos, nistune ecu, exhaust and boost contoler and was talking to a couple of people and adjustable cam gears came up is there any point or will they just give me a cranky idle and no power gain So if sone one could teach me bout them that would be great thanks guys

they work by changing the amount of overlap the cams have and how much wastered air-boost blows through engine, one way will give more topend (good for dyno but not adviserble for fast), the other will give you response and midrange and help with fuel economy aswell

Thanks for all the comments boys now I just need to figure out it there is any difference in brands

Stick with the well established brand names for cam gears... if the cam gears fail you'll have a hell of a mess- think bent valves and broken pistons.

My preffrence is Greddy.

J.

Thanks for all the comments boys now I just need to figure out it there is any difference in brands

You can get your factory gears modded for around $150

Half the price of jap brand name gear, and they do exactly the same job.

You can get your factory gears modded for around $150

Half the price of jap brand name gear, and they do exactly the same job.

cool where can I go to get them modded? Is it safe to get that done?

Both me and my brother run "modified factory camgears"

No problemo

Years ago tomei,hks etc made them like this.

So what they dont have fancy colours, the timing cover hides them anyway, and for roughly $100 a pair, cant complain.

Are the gains on a rb25 just as good as far as bang for your buck goes. I remember reading that you can get a nice 10kw's almost all across the rev range on a 25. What sought of gains are we talking about for the 26?

Are the gains on a rb25 just as good as far as bang for your buck goes. I remember reading that you can get a nice 10kw's almost all across the rev range on a 25. What sought of gains are we talking about for the 26?

RB25's have VCT etc, so its not as pronounced, some people have seen very little gains.

RB26's don't have the VCT and do respond well, each car is different so there is no "golden" setting

Another vote here for modified stock cam gears. The way I see it is that they're probably going to be stronger than most out on the market (at least any cheap chinese brands that are cast).

I figure that Nissan would've done a good job on them otherwise they wouldn't be on the car in the first place.

i went for midrange and response not outright power which made car more fun to drive, the modded stock ones are fine but you getting modified used steel cams, i run the greddy ones which look good under the clear cam gear cover but the os one look good and light and with the cams spining at 1/2 the speed as the crank any weight save would add up

post-36620-1286792846_thumb.jpg