SAU Community

Boost Gauge Reading Wrong?

]mines actually on +5 on idle...(auto) and jumps to 20 when i rev out its a mechanical cobalt series boost/vac gauge i just tap'd it into the line at the front of the manifold like described in a step by step posted on here i know its wrong coz my stock gauge sits in the - and jumps accordingly.. post-84025-0-70170300-1306822304_thumb.jpg

Edited by nismo07

any idea's?

Hmm, not sure. I've always tapped boost gauges directly off the plenum itself. Never really tried to tee it off an existing line. It definitely should be reading somewhere in the negatives on idle though.

Edited by GT32

Hmm, not sure. I've always tapped boost gauges directly off the plenum itself. Never really tried to tee it off an existing line. It definitely should be reading somewhere in the negatives on idle though.

Was thinking maby trying it at the rear where the stock line goes in from the little box right near the brake booster? if i was to pull that off and run the gauge straight in be fine right? doesnt matter if i disconnect the stock gauge at all does it??

Hmm, you could be right. Possibly a faulty gauge. I used to have an Omori boost gauge on my old 32. The gauge looked ancient! Was a mechanical type and I remember it was always 1-2psi out. When I had the car dynoed a few years ago, their dyno chart always displayed 1-2psi higher than what the boost gauge in the cabin displayed. It was probably due to wear and tear though. Is the gauge you're using brand new or second hand?

Hmm, you could be right. Possibly a faulty gauge. I used to have an Omori boost gauge on my old 32. The gauge looked ancient! Was a mechanical type and I remember it was always 1-2psi out. When I had the car dynoed a few years ago, their dyno chart always displayed 1-2psi higher than what the boost gauge in the cabin displayed. It was probably due to wear and tear though. Is the gauge you're using brand new or second hand?

Brand new from autobarn was a cobalt autometer so thought it was quality rofl...

Hmm, could be faulty. Bring it back and exchange it for another one to see if it still does the same thing. I'm not even gonna bother using a conventional boost gauge this time around in my new car. Once my AVC-R goes in then I'll just rely on that from now on to show me how much boost I'm running. :).

also shouldnt the gauge reset to 0 when the ignition is off? it sits on 15+ ??

Sorry, didn't see this. Yes it should revert back to +-0 when the ignition is off. If it sits on +15 then there definitely is a problem lol.

Yea what i thought lol ill return it tommorow and wait another 4 days another to come in lol... sigh... first time ive had issues with autometer though :S

Yeah Autometer is normally quite good. I'm actually using a mechanical Autometer boost gauge on my car at the moment and it's very accurate. Shame it's about to get ripped out though.

definitely was the gauge lol... funny on the phone to them were trying to blame installation but once they actually looked at it they said "yea its stuffed"... lol dont know how it could be my fault when the needle resets to +15psi and wont go below 5+ anyways yea overnight delivery :)

Haha, I love it when retailers will firstly always try and blame the buyer or installation to try and cover their own arses. Whatever happened to good old decent customer service these days...

kool on another note what should the boost be reading on idle?? -7 like the stock gauge?

Different units, the stock gauge reads in mmHg x100 for both positive & negative pressure.

Most aftermarket boost gauge will read in inHg for negative & either PSI or Bar for positive pressure.

15 - 20 inHg is the norm for idling pressure with the car stationary, anything lower than 15 inHg & you may have a leak somewhere.