SAU Community

heat shield ideas

RC 33

Hi all out there just interested on making or purchasing a heat shield.Has anyone got any pics or information on how good they are or is it a waste of time.I've got a apexi air pod and thought maybe its still sucking hot air under the bonnet.ideas

sorry not real sure which but my car has a hybrid i/c and apexi pod.I thought having a heat shield would prevent hot air from the engine bay, whilst having that extra hole where the standard piping used to be having air directed from there onto the pod.what u reckon or is it pointless

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This is how the heat sheild was set up on my last R33 it also had a cold air intake from underneath the front wheel/spoiler and was very effective as you all know how much heat the engine bay produces, im currently making a new one for my new car due to the intercooler pipes being in a different place etc...

The easiest way to get one would be to make it yourself since most cars have a different set up. Its quite easy as im making my second one as we speak.

1.ust take a cut out of cardboard and put it roughly where you want it.

2.Mark all the areas where the pipes are and anything else that is in the way.

3.Cut them out and check it again cutting and shaping it as you go.

4.You can also put bends etc... in the cardboard and tabs etc.. for bolts and so on.

5.Now you have a template, just take it and cut it out of what ever you like(i used 3mm polished alliminium), then bend it up and presto.

It may not fit perfect first time but if you have a real good stencil it should work pretty well.

I also added a little bend to mine to make it look factory.

Cheers hope this helps and if anyone else has some good idea's then lets hear them.

2 ingredients needed for cold air intake.

100-130mm PVC elbow.

Angle grinder.

As was said above u need to make a shield for the barrier, which can be done with some cardboard for template and some aluminium sheeting. Then cut a hole in front left wheel arch and it will be able to sit right behind the bumper. DO NOT CUT STRUCTURAL STEEL, bad plan, minor cutting only.

Or you could buy one that is made for it :P

Your other option is to find some good vacuum hose and mover the whole filter down into the bumper but that might get a little wet on rainy days. You willl still need some sheilding though.

asylum, i uses heat shield, i got a shit load from clark-rubber, they have two types a really think one or just normal, i basicly cut it with a knife and just suck it in there (the car come with like a metal plate which goes over the top),

If you dont have a fmic i have been told it is pointless as there is no direct air-intake as such, basicly your ment to uses the free hole (one which was uses for stock side-mount) and get a PVC pipe and direct the air in through the hole

man i bought one for $150.... i will c if i can find the guys car.... (paul (gtst vspec) its the guy that u gave me the car 4) he lives near bunbry...... they sell his ones at extreme machines for like $700... which is bs....

they are made of aluminium...... side and the top of hte box is also aluminium..... for those that are looking they are for the r33 only but