SAU Community

So i have been thinking about getting a locker aka welded diff and was wondering about peoples experiences.

i drive a s14 with nearly 200,000kms. no doubt the stock viscous LSD is worn yet i don't have the money to spend $900 on a real 2 way.

on the track is a locker better then a worn viscous LSD? what's it like driving in the wet?

Shim the stock VLSD centre up, will cost <$20 and there's a tutorial up in the DIY section.

I shimmed up the old VLSD out of my 32gtst and chucked it in the Stagea, was really tight for a couple of weeks but it's loosened up to the point where I barely feel it when full lock backing out of a parking space, but still lights both wheels predictably. I removed the standard shims and put a 1.49mm shim on each side of the VLSD unit.

If you're shimming the centre out of your car, you can just slap it back in.

If you're shimming a centre from another car and putting it in your housing (like I did, 32gtst VLSD centre in to Stagea open centre housing), you need to set up the backlash.. I paid my diff guy $200 to do that as I'm not geared up for it and it's my daily so didn't want to fk anything.

If you want to change ratios, you need the whole housing as the crown wheel matches the pinion gear..

awesome, thanks for that. i think the best option and cheapest would be to shim it up and see how it goes. ive seen the tutorial but is there any difference between a s13 r200 and a skyline r200 diff besides the number of bolts in the driveshafts?

awesome, thanks for that. i think the best option and cheapest would be to shim it up and see how it goes. ive seen the tutorial but is there any difference between a s13 r200 and a skyline r200 diff besides the number of bolts in the driveshafts?

Backing plates are different between S13 and R32gtst.

I used an S13 auto diff to change my ratios from 4.3 to 3.9, my Nismo 2-way centre fit in the S13 housing and I used the 32gtst axles.

shims break more often then lockers.

im sure you can change diff ratios without changing the entire diff.

Where do you get that from? I'd be more worried about snapping axles with a locker. If you're that worried, fork out for a proper mechanical diff.

My shimmed VLSD is going strong in my heavy assed wagon and it's nowhere near as harsh as the 2-way in the skyline but seems just as predictable (not so much lock on decel tho).

As far as changing ratios, the crown wheel has to match the pinion gear.... you don't HAVE to change the housing but if you don't, you still need to change the pinion gear over which means new bearings and seals.

Backing plates are different between S13 and R32gtst.

I used an S13 auto diff to change my ratios from 4.3 to 3.9, my Nismo 2-way centre fit in the S13 housing and I used the 32gtst axles.

Where do you get that from? I'd be more worried about snapping axles with a locker. If you're that worried, fork out for a proper mechanical diff.

My shimmed VLSD is going strong in my heavy assed wagon and it's nowhere near as harsh as the 2-way in the skyline but seems just as predictable (not so much lock on decel tho).

As far as changing ratios, the crown wheel has to match the pinion gear.... you don't HAVE to change the housing but if you don't, you still need to change the pinion gear over which means new bearings and seals.

not worried about anything i just wanted peoples experiences with lockers since i know im not getting it shimmed. also, i already said i cant afford a 2way and even if i could, i wouldn't get one. there are vastly more mods i need to do before getting a 2way.

interested to know what exactly "breaks"

it is possible to break the welds though that might be because of a poorly welded diff.

if you drive it regularly.. do not get it welded.

Welded diffs are horrible on the road.. they make the car sound like it rattling itself to bits any point the lightest bit of steering lock is applied.

Welded diff like to shag axels.

Its an irriversable operation.

They are a death wish in the rain!!! You will find yourself into a tree, gutter or god knows what else before you leave the driveway.

They tear tyres to bits.

The only reason I would suggest getting a welded diff is if its a dedicated track car. Only then. And even they id suggest get a spool diff instead of welding.

Re-shimming is a cheaper alturnative, its better on the car, better for the driver, better in a daily situation and is adjustable.

Edited by GTS4WD

Where can you get it welded for $50?? I want in! Pls pm me.

I think you should weld it. It will be tighter than a 2way and more predictable than any shimmed diff. I've heard a number of people say the shims loosen up after weeks or months.

I can't vouch for what it's like to drive as i'm waiting to do mine. I hate the viscous, it sucks the big one.

if you drive it regularly.. do not get it welded.

Welded diffs are horrible on the road.. they make the car sound like it rattling itself to bits any point the lightest bit of steering lock is applied.

Welded diff like to shag axels.

Its an irriversable operation.

They are a death wish in the rain!!! You will find yourself into a tree, gutter or god knows what else before you leave the driveway.

They tear tyres to bits.

The only reason I would suggest getting a welded diff is if its a dedicated track car. Only then. And even they id suggest get a spool diff instead of welding.

Re-shimming is a cheaper alturnative, its better on the car, better for the driver, better in a daily situation and is adjustable.

while it's a daily, my car doesn't have rear seats, rear sound deadening, rear interior ect. everything rattles already.

irreversible? isn't the centre the only thing that's welded? so just get another centre?

you sure it's that bad in the rain? i know many people who drive with them daily and don't find the wet that bad. it's supposed to be very predictable thus you can tell when the oversteer is coming.

shims don't stay tight though, depending how it's driven. it'd rather it be constantly the same.

it's not really as bad as people whinge on about... in fact i'd be willing to bet that most people that whinge on about weld'y have never actually driven one.

i have a welded diff in my 4age KE70 and it is not dangerous. just take it slow in the wet (as you should in ANY car) and you're fine.

it is more predictable than a worn stocker and takes all of 5 minutes to learn

it is irreversable yes, but you can replace it with a second hand stocker for like $3.79

imho, go for it as it will be better than stock, and if yo dont like it, then just change it back

of course a real diff is better.... but it's also 25 times the price

lock diff is actually pretty good when going sideways or locking both wheels up, the only downfall is all the clunking noise it makes.

its not so bad in the wet, ive never locked up or had any accidents/near accidents with it installed.

if i was to do it again, id shim the diff up instead.

do shimmed diffs make all the clunking noise as well ?

Just give your mechanic a call he should be able to do it, or even your local butcher :P .

IMHO i hate welded diffs, have never liked the way they drive and they're characteristics, but i also have a 2 way that sometimes acts like that