SAU Community

Lakeside

handbrake

well what can I say. everyone has been telling me to get my ass out to Lakeside all year. As I only starting visiting the race track in March of this year I thought I would cut my teeth out at QR, since then all my 7 track sessions have been at QR, until now.

Lakeside was a religious experience, and I am not a religious man. There is so much history to this track and I found it so much more engaging than QR, I cant wait to get out there again.

All the horror stories of carnage out there meant I was pretty timid. I was constantly out braking corners and lifting off the throttle where I probably needn't. I also left the traction control in R mode which was very intrusive with all the elevation changes, especially coming out of the eastern loop and really cutting my power heading out onto the main straight.

I hope to be there monthly next year.

Thanks to Paul Ruzic for organising another great day, and to Trent and Tess from Mercury motorsport for their support as always.

Edited by handbrake

Very glad to see you got out there mate! :D

My word I'd love to have even half of your straight line stonk in my 32 GTS-t that I run around there! lol

yep. stonk taken care of. Now just need more skill and a big new shiny set of balls.

was brilliant weather yesterday... shame i had been called up to work as i would have been here...

lakeside gave birth to my love of motorsport in the 80's its a very special track to me...

ive been around it on 4 wheels & 2... sometimes 3 :D

its really good to see the council figured it out in the end and the track was able to be re-opened in late 2008 to the public once more...

it laid dormant for too many years, now the fire is back and the people are coming to watch again...

nice work there mark

I'm glad you could make it Mark.

It was a big turn out for the day. Great fun. The GTRs ran very well. and I was pleased to make a 5 sec improvement on my previous conservative time.

I'm looking forward to the next Lakeside.

Next box to tick is the revised Morgan Park. :D

I'm glad you could make it Mark.

It was a big turn out for the day. Great fun. The GTRs ran very well. and I was pleased to make a 5 sec improvement on my previous conservative time.

I'm looking forward to the next Lakeside.

Next box to tick is the revised Morgan Park. :)

+1 for revised morgan park

also +1 gazillion for the greatness of lakeside :):)

Can't wait for you guys to come out here. Morgan is another 1 of the classic style tracks in my opinion, just with a bit more run off than the lake. National super sprints are on 13th & 14th of this month. Should come for a look.

well what can I say. everyone has been telling me to get my ass out to Lakeside all year. As I only starting visiting the race track in March of this year I thought I would cut my teeth out at QR, since then all my 7 track sessions have been at QR, until now.

Lakeside was a religious experience, and I am not a religious man. There is so much history to this track and I found it so much more engaging than QR, I cant wait to get out there again.

All the horror stories of carnage out there meant I was pretty timid. I was constantly out braking corners and lifting off the throttle where I probably needn't. I also left the traction control in R mode which was very intrusive with all the elevation changes, especially coming out of the eastern loop and really cutting my power heading out onto the main straight.

I hope to be there monthly next year.

Thanks to Paul Ruzic for organising another great day, and to Trent and Tess from Mercury motorsport for their support as always.

Nice work Mark.

What tyres did you run?

second hand 270/68-18 michelins.

on the new 12 inch rears they were a bit stretched. sourcing some second hand slicks to better suit the new wheels

280/71-18 up front on 10.5 inch rims

310/71-18 rears on 12 inch rims

might snag new slicks next year but til then, dodgy second hand scrap for me.

second hand 270/68-18 michelins.

on the new 12 inch rears they were a bit stretched. sourcing some second hand slicks to better suit the new wheels

280/71-18 up front on 10.5 inch rims

310/71-18 rears on 12 inch rims

might snag new slicks next year but til then, dodgy second hand scrap for me.

grip doesnt look too bad in the vid?

thats because I was driving like an old woman lol

I was going about 80% I reckon.

I need to turn off traction control, which is more intrusive at lakeside than it is at QR where I push it harder due to oodles of runoff.

I only achieved a 59.28 on the day. the car should be putting out 56.xx

It should/will put out sub 56's to be frank.

Berry did low 56's in his there last year on factory rubber and engine boost cutting and misfiring over 6k rpm.

Once you have the track sorted in your head and decent slicks with your handling and grunt, well, it'll be Special baby! :P

Edited by Marlin

sure would love to get down into the 55's! no easy task. I need bucket loads of track time.

I will head out there on the Paul Stokell days but he only runs a few events out there every year. seeing as I can only get out on the track on weekdays normally, which track events should I get to? I see trackattack has some weekday lakeside days in their calendar but have never attended one of their events. any others I should try? would love to get out there once a month and out at QR once a month

Edited by handbrake

Honestly?

I'd suggest just visiting QR on occasion, and make Lakeside your main track. Once you get comfortable there, you'll be comfortable (and quick!), Anywhere.

Most of us Lakeside regulars avoid QR like the plague due to it's boring and less challenging nature (in comparison).

So yeah, any opportunity you get, go Lakeside :) I wouldn't get too caught up on doing the driver training days there though as they're of dubious benefit in my book.

I know it quite well and am happy to join you in the pits out there sometime if you like. You know how to get me :rofl2:

You're right, heaps of track time is the go. It takes a while to learn Lakeside - alot more technical and challenging than QR. Specially if you start in a scary-fast car like that! Follow Ben around for a few laps to learn the lines - he's always there...

TrackAttack just piggyback off QR's events at Lakeside. They used to offer cheaper entry but not anymore...

QR's dates and entry forms: http://qldraceways.com.au/main.php?menu=qri05

They have some practice days on weekdays as well.