SAU Community

Lakeside

handbrake

sure would love to get down into the 55's! no easy task. I need bucket loads of track time.

I will head out there on the Paul Stokell days but he only runs a few events out there every year. seeing as I can only get out on the track on weekdays normally, which track events should I get to? I see trackattack has some weekday lakeside days in their calendar but have never attended one of their events. any others I should try? would love to get out there once a month and out at QR once a month

Hi Mark,

Porsche club as you know also do track days at Lakeside, but most likely on weekends.

I think the time spent on Paul Stokell track days is quite valuable. He is a Lakeside expert. Especially with your permance monitoring, having Paul do at least one session in your car around the track for you to later analyse and overlay with your sessions is the smartest way to go. Then it is like everyone else says its bum in seat time on track and slowly chipping away at it.

With some areas that I am working on- I asked him yesterday - Do you think we could go through the kink flat out and he said ultimately yes but there would be no room for error. He advised at least a dab on the brakes before turn in for some forward weight transfer. Im also working on the back half of track and trying to reduce understeer through the second last corner.

I like this quote from "Lakeside Introductary Racemeeting":

"As every one who has raced there will tell you - Lakeside is a DANGEROUS place. Do not interpret this as a dare. Many people have come to grief at Lakeside and some of them terminally. It is NOT a place to take unnecessary risks when racing because it will bite you and hard! "

One issue with lakeside in general that it is getting just too busy.

It can be quite scary and dodgy sometimes, with what is a small and narrow track with 20+ cars out in a session with VERY big variables in both car speed and driver understanding. The y DO attempt to group cars by lap times but I think quite a few guys tell porky pies to feel better about themselves!?

eg; Having a 997 GT3 outblast you on the straight and gap you 100 metres only to come across him under the bridge, previously unseen, with a speed differential of 40/50klm/h, when you're fully loaded up, maximum commitment, doing 200 odd with the wall a metre away on the outside. Shit like that never gets old! :P

Bastards!!

170 down the straight if I'm lucky

Bridge? Well at least I'm in 5th, but I''d be lucky to be much over 150 there :)

Then again, you guys are over 10 seconds a lap faster than me

Still, at least I can claw back some of that advantage on gravel (where it counts) :)