SAU Community

The Thread That Shell Started.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honeysuckle Creek tracking station just south of Tharwa has 2 BBQ's and the road is a good but not over the top drive. We can meet somewhere central for people such as the Museum or our standard Friday night location and then move out from there.

The problem with using inner city BBQ locations such as Weston Park or Black Mountain penn is that this time of year is the time everyone is out BBQ'ing it up.

My suggestion as below:

2010xmascruiseroute.jpg

This would probably take about 1.5 hours or so of driving. The route can easily be chopped and changed if necessary out in the sticks as multiple routes take us to the same destination. I've planned it so that there will be minimal breaks in the 'convoy' via traffic lights and other dastardly traffic requirements. Low cars will easily make this route with the only thing to watch out for is a cattle grate half way up the mountain.

hmmm looks like my car's changed colour and I wear flannies now :P

Canberra driving choices suck. We've done Braidwood for pub lunch, we've done Honeysuckle Creek last year and we've done the Cotter. The drive out to Uriarra where me and Pat have taken our doggies for swims is ok, not particularly long though and I dont think there's BBQ's.

I know some other clubs have done the drive out to Gundaroo pub but I'm not sure what that's like.

Well Shell we know who's gotten around then don't we? :P

What about Tidbinbilla? Anyone know if there's any BBQ's there?

I know they added an entry price to the park a year or so ago, I could inquire about it there's enough interest.

Well Shell we know who's gotten around then don't we? :P

What about Tidbinbilla? Anyone know if there's any BBQ's there?

I know they added an entry price to the park a year or so ago, I could inquire about it there's enough interest.

yes there are BBQs there. If there arent as I have already stated I can bring mine along

hmmm looks like my car's changed colour and I wear flannies now :P

Canberra driving choices suck. We've done Braidwood for pub lunch, we've done Honeysuckle Creek last year and we've done the Cotter. The drive out to Uriarra where me and Pat have taken our doggies for swims is ok, not particularly long though and I dont think there's BBQ's.

I know some other clubs have done the drive out to Gundaroo pub but I'm not sure what that's like.

Nice to see you join in on your thread shell! :)

I had to miss last years one, but the honeysuckle creek thing sounds really good to me, lotsa driving, out in the sticks, bbq's... it sounds like it has it all.

I vote one human vote and one tiger vote on this!

Nice to see you join in on your thread shell! :P

I had to miss last years one, but the honeysuckle creek thing sounds really good to me, lotsa driving, out in the sticks, bbq's... it sounds like it has it all.

I vote one human vote and one tiger vote on this!

Yeah it's a nice drive, I'm happy to do it again if everyone else is?... just that we did it for the last Xmas BBQ and also the last cruise before that (where everyone will remember me hiding out from the park rangers with Molly lol)

Corin Forrest? Corin Dam? Be a damn good drive out there :P

While I agree the drive is phenomenal (best in the ACT hands down) there is no BBQ facilities at Corin dam and parking is very limited.

Not sure about the playground/fair thingo area.

What if we have a bbq at uriarra east reserve (that way tiger and molly and any other doggies that come along will not have to hide).

The bbq will most likely have to be one that nerm can bring. As the high chance of fire ban. Will your bbq still be fine in a fire ban?

those that want to get a good drive in, like myself, can go out past point hut crossing next to gordon and drive the back way past tidbinbilla and the cotter to uriarra?

thoughts?

Coast run maybe - Clyde or Brown mountain?

Hook up with the "crew" down there?

Might be to long for some... but we could probably work out a loop

Also evo oz guys a looking for a cruze we could combine...

my 2.2c

Edited by NAman

What if we have a bbq at uriarra east reserve (that way tiger and molly and any other doggies that come along will not have to hide).

The bbq will most likely have to be one that nerm can bring. As the high chance of fire ban. Will your bbq still be fine in a fire ban?

those that want to get a good drive in, like myself, can go out past point hut crossing next to gordon and drive the back way past tidbinbilla and the cotter to uriarra?

thoughts?

Sounds good to me. i like the 'how to get there' idea too!

I concur. Heaps of room there, and doggy friendly... can even go for a swim if it's warm.

If we go the long way we still get a nice drive, and if Nerm can bring a BBQ then that part is sorted.

I propose Saturday 5th Dec. Or second choice Saturday 11th Dec.

5 Dec is "Chippas main street cruise"

http://www.chippasmainstreetcruz.com.au/

Ignore the fact that there's a VK on the cover. Although it is a sweet ride...

Chippa was a dear friend to me, and we hope to raise lots of money for the starlight foundation.

So everyone that wants to come to that please sign up and get amoungst it :)

So back to our own cruise.

I'd like to get out and have a bbq somewhere.

At the uriarra east reserve there's bbq's, the ones that manly men need to build fires in and get the plates hot. So that time of year they'll probably be out of action with some total fire ban rubbish...

Googong?? anyone been out that way?

I concur. Heaps of room there, and doggy friendly... can even go for a swim if it's warm.

If we go the long way we still get a nice drive, and if Nerm can bring a BBQ then that part is sorted.

I propose Saturday 5th Dec. Or second choice Saturday 11th Dec.

Firstly, the 5th of Dec is a Sunday.

Secondly, see my quote above.

I'm down for Saturday 11th Dec.

Fire Restriction Information

What rules apply during a Total Fire Ban?

In particular, a gas or electric barbeque may be used under the following conditions:

• The barbeque is under constant adult supervision and attendance;
  • The ground within three metres of the barbeque is cleared of all materials which could burn; and
  • There is a continuous supply of water that can be applied to the barbeque and the surrounding area.

http://www.esa.act.gov.au/ESAWebsite/conte.../fire_bans.html

If we go to the Cotter we can only meet 2 out of 3 of those regulations for gas bbqs, the continuous supply of water may be a problem. I can always check on the morning or day before and if there is a Total Fire Ban and then if there is everyone will have to bring sandwiches :)

From memory last year we went to Honeysuckle Creek then came back to a park somewhere in Tuggers and had the bbq there on the public electric ones, why can't we just do that again rather than having the bbq somewhere that my cause problems??

Edited by nerm

I'll be in Sydney the weekend of the 5th too.

I'll be flying back into Canberra on the 11th after a wedding on Fri 10th so whether I make it all depends on the location of the BBQ and hangover levels :)